Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Which supercharger is easiest to install

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

I guess it all depends on the skillset of a person. For example, I find working on my car to be a bit intimidating and challenging at times, where as, I could build you an entire working computer from scratch in 2hrs with one hand tied behind my back.

It's all a matter of perspective.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:49 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

The stock fuel pump will handle the power level you want to start at. Depending on who you talk to it's 255 lph or 305. My supercharger went on in stages and made 408rwhp with the stock pump and a custom tune in the non-intercooled stage.

I understand wanting an easy install. I've only put on the Whipple and can tell you it's not bad at all. Some wires need to be cut and spliced but that's no big deal to me since I do it to airplanes all the time and they hold up just fine for along time.

I think you will be very happy with the Edlebrock kit. It leaves you room to grow if and when you decide to turn it up and it's backed by a giant in the aftermarket industry. You also get the CARB approval if it's needed for your state emissions.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:12 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

In my opinion, to get a hassle-free kit to install without cutting, splicing, etc, it just isn't worth doing considering what you get out of what you spent. Boost would be limited due to fuel demands pushing the stock pump to its limits.
For the most part, S/C kits are pretty easy to install. Taking off the front end for intercooler installation, fuel pump, and possible wiring extensions to splice in, are the harder parts of any install. With ProCharger, the pump is the most difficult part. Strapping on a second pump and the associated hoses make it a bit cumbersome to go back in the hole. My pump died recently and I replaced it with the GT500 pump KIT. Had the new pump back in, in about 30 min. It IS a plug and play deal. No splicing of any kind. Had to run the new harness under the passenger kick panel trim to the fuse box. Couldnt be any easier, really.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I did the Whipple HO install alone in one weekend with plenty of beer breaks. I even installed the heat exchanger without removing the front bumper. I just reached under there while laying on my back. Wasn't too difficult at all. I've also assisted in the install of a Procharger and Saleen supercharger as well as a couple other Whipples. They are all comparable in difficulty.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:02 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
the m90 is plug and play? for the 05-09 or just the 10?
only plug and play for the 10's.

edit- reading and answering, i see someone else already answered that.

Last edited by ShaneM; 08-11-2010 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:03 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doogie65
No, still running on the stock pump. With the large pulley and a conservative tune, no additional fuel is needed "yet". But I have a 3.5 inch pulley along with a CAI that will be going in the same time as the pumps.

I guess temps are relative, but having multiple weeks now of high 80 degree weather along with much higher than normal humidity, to me it is hot
WUUUUSSSSSS muhahahah... dude its 105 here today with 98% humidity. THAT my friend is hot, 80 is November here.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:52 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
WUUUUSSSSSS muhahahah... dude its 105 here today with 98% humidity. THAT my friend is hot, 80 is November here.
wow, I wish we had a November like you guys.. it's gets down to 10 degrees out by then where I am at

A few months later it's -20!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:45 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I did the Whipple HO install alone in one weekend with plenty of beer breaks. I even installed the heat exchanger without removing the front bumper. I just reached under there while laying on my back. Wasn't too difficult at all. I've also assisted in the install of a Procharger and Saleen supercharger as well as a couple other Whipples. They are all comparable in difficulty.
Same here. It wasn't hard at all. I'd say installing the gt500 pumps was the most challenging. The hard part was physically getting the pump assembly in the hole while attaching the in tank fuel line and trying not to get any gasoline in the interior. Then the stupid little pump feet would keep falling off at the last minute.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
The hard part was physically getting the pump assembly in the hole while attaching the in tank fuel line.
I had to recruit my 100 lb. 5'4" wife for that job. My 6'1" 220 lb. big fat man hands just couldn't get the job done. Sometimes, it takes a woman's touch.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Same here. It wasn't hard at all. I'd say installing the gt500 pumps was the most challenging. The hard part was physically getting the pump assembly in the hole while attaching the in tank fuel line and trying not to get any gasoline in the interior. Then the stupid little pump feet would keep falling off at the last minute.
I think I'll just stick with the stock pump with a BAP. I'm not really looking for crazy power. Just don't want to be left behind by the new 5.0 guys already driving around, thinking they got the hottest sh*t under their hoods.

Damn, now I know how the SN95 and New Edge guys felt when we came around.

Quick Reply: Which supercharger is easiest to install