Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Vortech season finale review 2010

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 07:52 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default Vortech season finale review 2010

For anyone thinking about getting the Vortech V3 non-intercooled, at least save up and get a Paxton air to air or have the option of adding it to your kit as a whole (Brenspeed allows this option)

I just back from the track and ran a best of 12.9@103mph with a handful of 13.0/13.1s.

This is crappy since I usually run 12.8s all day. I can tell today was crappy because my 60 fts. (2.0) were nearly identical to my good runs, though obviously something is up when I am only getting 13.0s.

I know -.02 is not big deal but it is when you want to run better times rofl

My car was drenched in heat today, not even resting it for 30 minutes did it do anything for my car.+

Overall this kit is great for the street but horrible for the track unless you have DRs to make up for the heat soak.. at least you'll have traction off the line. I remember given the option to have the paxton air to air intercooler included in the kit ($1000) but didn't take the offer. I really should have.. kicking my **** for not during days like this.

Considering that I ran a 14.7@98mph stock, 13.0 from that isn't too shabby.
I also ran 13.2/13.4s with just an intake tune, and wouldn't budge bringing it down.

Seasons just about wrapped up this year.. bring on the snow blizzards! buahaahahaaha!
Old 08-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Those are some pretty good numbers if all you've done to your car is what appears in your sig. Perhaps you could give LT headers a try and hold back on the intercooler? So then your car won't blow up when winter comes, as you've said before? (i never quite understood that)
Old 08-15-2010, 02:14 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
Those are some pretty good numbers if all you've done to your car is what appears in your sig. Perhaps you could give LT headers a try and hold back on the intercooler? So then your car won't blow up when winter comes, as you've said before? (i never quite understood that)

I have 4.10s
JBA shorty headers
Saleen economy delete plates
dual 3in. exhaust dumps
Brenspeed 90 octane tune

lol the vortech doesn't like winter time, so I'll have to pull it every winter. Which isn't a big deal really.

I am going back tomorrow morning at 9:00am and WAITING until 11:00am to run. Today I had no time to cool down my motor after driving for an hour, we have been rained out for the last few weeks and they crammed EVERYTHING into this weekend so if you're not in the staging lanes.. you'll HAVE to wait I drove for two hours total and only got to race for an hour.

Their sites little image said races at 10, then under it says races at 11. I call 10 minutes before leaving (9am) and the races start at 10! WTF?! By the time I get there, staging lanes are packed, I am heat soaked and either I wait in line or get stuck way back of the line... oh well, I still had fun.

An intercooler and more boost would definetly help out though. An hour or two of cooling down before races should do the trick. I though about putting the MAF sensor in a plastic bag, and submerging it in ice to trick it rofl
Old 08-15-2010, 09:03 AM
turbo 2.8
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
For anyone thinking about getting the Vortech V3 non-intercooled, at least save up and get a Paxton air to air or have the option of adding it to your kit as a whole (Brenspeed allows this option)

I just back from the track and ran a best of 12.9@103mph with a handful of 13.0/13.1s.

This is crappy since I usually run 12.8s all day. I can tell today was crappy because my 60 fts. (2.0) were nearly identical to my good runs, though obviously something is up when I am only getting 13.0s.

I know -.02 is not big deal but it is when you want to run better times rofl

My car was drenched in heat today, not even resting it for 30 minutes did it do anything for my car.+

Overall this kit is great for the street but horrible for the track unless you have DRs to make up for the heat soak.. at least you'll have traction off the line. I remember given the option to have the paxton air to air intercooler included in the kit ($1000) but didn't take the offer. I really should have.. kicking my **** for not during days like this.

Considering that I ran a 14.7@98mph stock, 13.0 from that isn't too shabby.
I also ran 13.2/13.4s with just an intake tune, and wouldn't budge bringing it down.

Seasons just about wrapped up this year.. bring on the snow blizzards! buahaahahaaha!
I was just curious if u had a boost gauge ? the vortech wont make as much boost in the heat , so Im guessing your 12.8 time slip came on a colder day , also might want to consider relocating air temp sensor , so u get actual a.i.t. for sure its pulling timing on the hot days
Old 08-15-2010, 09:31 AM
smythge
4th Gear Member

You have 2 seperate problems, the heat is killing your hp, looking where you mph is (103). When it's cooler out and you're making HP you're spinning your tires, get some drag radials. I ran a non intercooled Vortech and I hated it, even with water/meth injection it was very inconsistent any air temps over 80 and my times would increase by .40 and I would lose 4mph.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Stealth and I spoken quite a bit. He really needs a tune for his car and some intercooling. With that, plus some DRs it would make a gigantic difference. He's thinking of changing the set up so, we ewill see what the winter yields for him.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:22 PM
smythge
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Stealth and I spoken quite a bit. He really needs a tune for his car and some intercooling. With that, plus some DRs it would make a gigantic difference. He's thinking of changing the set up so, we ewill see what the winter yields for him.
+ 10000000000
Old 08-15-2010, 08:45 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by smythge
You have 2 seperate problems, the heat is killing your hp, looking where you mph is (103). When it's cooler out and you're making HP you're spinning your tires, get some drag radials. I ran a non intercooled Vortech and I hated it, even with water/meth injection it was very inconsistent any air temps over 80 and my times would increase by .40 and I would lose 4mph.
Ditto.. the V3 is very bipolar in terms of performance. When it's cool, it pulls hard. When it's hot, it feels like all the boost is bypassed. Thanks for the input on meth injection.. thought about that too, but going with an air to air intercooler instead.

Originally Posted by turbo 2.8
also might want to consider relocating air temp sensor , so u get actual a.i.t. for sure its pulling timing on the hot days
mine is located in the second bottom intake passage on the manifold per brenspeeds instructions. I thought about putting it elsewhere, not sure where...

Originally Posted by Simon1
lol the tuners up here are very far and few. The ones that do mostly deal with imports. The ones that do not, are the best, though they are very choosy in whom they deal business with.. not shaddy, just very choosy. It's different up here in AK. Mail order tunes are my only bet. We have a dyno at our tech shop at the university, but it's off limits for this sort of stuff other than seeing how much whp a car has.

Winter is right around the corner so I am pretty much done for this season. I am definetly getting an intercooler and DRs next season. I was gonna sell this kit, but not til later on. It's a great kit and will put me where I want to be, eventually.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:10 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Finally got some good times today!

I went early, ran a few times and waited at least 20 minutes between runs and up to 2 hours. I did something I had never done before;

1. I kept the OD ON, instead of turning it off like I usually do. Turned out that the little bit of extra gearing helped me out surprisingly. Where it usually would shift and basically stay at 3200 rpm at 80ish (OD off), it pulls through the gear all the way to red-line..

2. I kept the exhaust cut outs closed today. I don't know why, but when the cutouts were open, the engine got super hot super fast. Today, I left it on the entire time and I picked up a little more hp, and less wheel-spin off the line. It also sounded very good as well.. very QUIET lol The only bad part is that I kept red lighting it because I simply could not tell if the motor was revving up enough and it only let me rev to 2k power braking, ended up not getting into the red-zone quick enough.. but at least I had traction. My car run surprisingly cooler today.

And the results?? FINALLY a best of

12.5@108mph 8.08 1.8th mile ET 88.34mph 1/8 mph

Also ran a handful of 12.8/12.9s and the usual 13.0/13.1s trapping around 105-107mph.
I actually picked up some mph just keeping the OD on.

I tried to do a 12.5 again, but there was no way I was waiting another hour to do it rofl

Not bad at all.. of course I stayed the entire day and wait so long between runs. But it was worth it!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:30 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...em.php?gik=413

holy crap.. just messing around checking out the vortech site and found the above..

NON-intercooled?! Why in the world would they do that to their race car?!

Quick Reply: Vortech season finale review 2010