Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Where did you get your gears installed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:24 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Default Where did you get your gears installed?

I have a 2010 GT auto and I am looking to change my gears from the stock 3.31 to a 3.73 and I am looking for a local installer in Orange County. Where do most of you get this work done, local mechanic, dyno shop, gear and axle shop? My car is booked to be some place every day this week and I would like to get it set up for next week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:55 PM
kpd1031

Do your research on any shop you are considering. There are tons of horror stories on this forum about guys that went to a so called reputable shop and end up with a bad install. I went to the dealer to have my gears (4.10's) installed, but only after I talked to their tech for 45 minutes about the install. I probably paid more than most for the install, about $800, but in my eyes, thats money well spent to have the job done right. I've had my gears for about two years with out a single problem. Ask a lot of questions before you let someone rip apart your rear. Just because a shop claims to have done a lot of gears does not mean they are familiar with the ford 8.8 rear. From what I understand, it is a tricky rear to set up right.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 PM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

You make a good point kpd1031! I was considering the following http://www.americangearshop.com/ and http://sdgearaxle.com/ and I have about a week before I want to get it done so that will give me time to do my research online and talk to them about the install My local dealer quoted me about $1000 and I really do not want to pay more than about $550 with the gears and the install.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:35 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

A more expensive install does not guarantee a better install.

You need to check out each place's reputation and talk to them personally first.
I would recommend a Mustang specialty shop though. That way it is a place that has installed gears on THESE cars plenty of times.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:59 AM
macmovieman
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
A more expensive install does not guarantee a better install.

You need to check out each place's reputation and talk to them personally first.
I would recommend a Mustang specialty shop though. That way it is a place that has installed gears on THESE cars plenty of times.
You make a good point. I will look fr a local Mustang shop who does a lot of gear installs.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

I had my local mechanic do mine but only because I've used him for years on my other cars and he def knows his stuff.

But if I didn't have him available, I would have taken it to a Mustang specific shop as you want to go to somebody who does this all the time and doesn't have to figure it out as they go. And $1,000 dollars is retarded expensive that the stealership quoted.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Franchi
I had my local mechanic do mine but only because I've used him for years on my other cars and he def knows his stuff.

But if I didn't have him available, I would have taken it to a Mustang specific shop as you want to go to somebody who does this all the time and doesn't have to figure it out as they go. And $1,000 dollars is retarded expensive that the stealership quoted.
LOL everything you said was basically what was already said by me and someone else.

The 60's called... they want their record players back.

lol
Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Oh and one more thing.
DO NOT pay over 600.

600 is on the expensive side and I would NOT go over that.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:51 PM
kpd1031

I didn't mean to imply that I got a good install because I paid so much. In fact if you read my post I admit to paying too much. The point is, that out of the three local performance shops I went to, the tech guy at the dealer seemed to know what he was talking about the most and made me feel the most comfortable. The other guys gave me the "don't worry, we'll take care of you" speech, but didn't want to go in to details about the work they would do. It also didn't hurt that the dealer gave me a year warranty on the install. A lot of smaller shops will claim to back their work, but the minute they take your money, they don't want to know you. As I stated earlier, and Blacksmoke reiterated, do your home work. Go with the shop you feel good about. Even if you have to spend a little more than the $600 limit some say NOT to go over.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I have heard great things about sdgear and axle. All they do is gears and axles and they are a sponsor at Barona drag strip.

Quick Reply: Where did you get your gears installed?