Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Can anyone explain this??? Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:32 PM
MReesePT

It is not the custom tune written for the CAI but rather a stock airbox 93 octane tune in the X3 tuner. It didnt really change the performance of the car. It is stilll intermittantly running good.

Could it be the fuel pump???
Old 09-13-2010, 07:33 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

data log bro. you have what you need.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:56 PM
MReesePT

Ok sorry for being a newbie. I saw on the tuner about a data log. Can you explain more... hit data and drive for a while and do what with it??? Sorry if I am being stupid.

I am not much of a mechanic, actually not at all, but I enjoy my stang running better.

I bought the tuner off a guy who sold his 07 and took out the tuner and CAI. He had a custom tune for it which will work on mine because the CAI was the only mod. I have not even installed the CD, just took the tuner out of the box today and installed a stock 93 tune, which did not help.

Maybe I am out of my league, but it seems like something simple because the car runs so good one time and bad the next. I just dont understand.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:15 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Sometimes we need to just get back to old school - What makes an engine run. You need fuel, air and ignition. Even though modern cars have all the electronic goodies, the old rules still apply.

What you describe is classic fuel starvation. If it were air, you would be bogging and would set a MIL right off. Plus, it would not run well and then poorly. You either have air or you don't.

If there were a spark issue it would act generally more like a miss or sputter typically.

What you are describing is fuel starvation. It actually sounds like you are getting a vapor lock going to me. My money is definately on fuel pump. Change the pump, they are not THAT difficult. You need to pull the back seat to get to it.

What you might want to do is check your fuel rail pressure to be sure. But from what you describe, you should be pulling your back seat and getting the new pump out.....

Good luck.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:58 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

go to http://www.sctflash.com/tsupdates.ph...5&GUD=1&GSER=1

download live link application

bring laptop, tuner, and usb cable into car

select parameters, go somewhere you can get your car rolling, like idle in 3rd gear, and do a full rpm pull while data logging.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Tang 72
2nd Gear Member

Well im not the best with electronics in cars... i know its strange but im 21 and all i know how to tune is a carb. If the car where mine i would check fuel. I agree FastDEW. every time you turn the car on it will squirt more fuel on start up than when its running. It will starve itself out after it burns up the available fuel. If it where a spark problem it would probably develop a miss at a certain rpm as well.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:49 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

hes got the ability with the items he has on hand, to log fuel rail pressure and look for a drop.... nuff said, lol.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:10 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i am leaning towards a vacuum leak or an 02 sensor. the fact that
shutting it off and restarting temporarily restores power, indicates
to me a open loop vs. closed loop demarcation.

datalogging short term fuel trims after the car is fully warmed up,
might help us determine what is going on.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
... the fact that
shutting it off and restarting temporarily restores power, indicates
to me a open loop vs. closed loop demarcation...
My thoughts exactly, but not sure what all that would point to.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:50 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I don't think a quick shut off/start up would be enough time to allow the fuel pump to cool and regain it's 'strength'. It's possible though.

You guys know of any way he can force his car into open loop without kicking in a 'limp home' mode?

Quick Reply: Can anyone explain this??? Help