Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Just took the Vortech off..

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Driving around with my car NA for a few days, I SWEAR it feels just as fast is it did with the Vortech. The delete plates added a real nice boost, I shiet you not! Obviously, it does not have top end pull as the blower, but my NA set up is NOT that far behind the vortech. I'd be hard pressed to run a 12.5 let alone a 12.8 as is right now, even on a good day, but pretty sure it's still a solid 13.0 car NA. Which isn't too terrible. If I were to race my car NA vs the V3, I'd only lose by a car and a half and that's only after 100+.. from 0 to that 100, I am confident we'd be head to head...
That seems very unrealistic.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Driving around with my car NA for a few days, I SWEAR it feels just as fast is it did with the Vortech. The delete plates added a real nice boost, I shiet you not! Obviously, it does not have top end pull as the blower, but my NA set up is NOT that far behind the vortech. I'd be hard pressed to run a 12.5 let alone a 12.8 as is right now, even on a good day, but pretty sure it's still a solid 13.0 car NA. Which isn't too terrible. If I were to race my car NA vs the V3, I'd only lose by a car and a half and that's only after 100+.. from 0 to that 100, I am confident we'd be head to head...
Yeah I'm not surprised actually. That non-IC kit gives a decent boost for the money, but its all top end where I normally am not driving. For that reason I wouldn't buy it again...

I read the Paxton HO instructions last night and it seemed much more involved than I was hoping. Not sure if I'm up for that, I may not have enough patience...
Old 09-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

That's how I feel about it. I'd rather drive all the way to brenspeed at pay for an install, but that's money I don't have.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The only kit I've seen that looked somewhat "easier" than the rest was probably the Edelbrock. The kit is pricey though at north of 6k. Brenspeed is like 1100 miles from here, so I'm not excited about the drive...
Old 09-14-2010, 10:45 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
The only kit I've seen that looked somewhat "easier" than the rest was probably the Edelbrock. The kit is pricey though at north of 6k. Brenspeed is like 1100 miles from here, so I'm not excited about the drive...
Same here, its a 10 hour drive for me. I'm thinking about installing all the main NA bolt-ons and calling it a rap until I buy a fast 4 door sedan.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:39 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
That seems very unrealistic.

lol you've never driven a heat soaked non-intercooled kit

Trust me, on some days at the track I'd be running identical times when I was NA. It seemed like it would hot lap AS I was going down the track lol

But when things were cooled down, you're right. There's no way I'd be able to chase my own car down given one was V3 and me being NA right now.

Then again, less wheel spin to fight, instant throttle response and great gearing allows my NA set up to run right next to the V3 til about 100 or so. The V3 feels like a "sling-shot". At the lowest point as it's building power, it's not so quick but only at the very end does it make the most power as it gets going.

Yeah I'm not surprised actually. That non-IC kit gives a decent boost for the money, but its all top end where I normally am not driving. For that reason I wouldn't buy it again...

I read the Paxton HO instructions last night and it seemed much more involved than I was hoping. Not sure if I'm up for that, I may not have enough patience...
I didn't like it at first either because you can't really "winde up" the auto like you can a manual and when I first drove it around I really didn't feel squat until I floored it.. "instant joy" rofl. Because of the 4.10s it jumps right into the power band which is great with the sometimes lagging CF supercharger.

I forget exactly, but the paxton spins faster than the V3 which is the same as a (Paxton) Novi 1200 where the Paxton is a 2200. I looked over the set up and it's nearly identical to the V3, aside from the air to air intercooled which is less of a pain imo to install than the Vortech charge cooler. I was gonna get the paxton H.O. kit but the shipping was way too much up to alaska.

The E-force isn't too difficult, but does look like it has more additional steps than the centris, which is basically bolting it up in front of the motor, mounting the (air to air) intercooler and routing pipes for it.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Thanks for that info. The more I read, the more I see that a non-IC SC is a bad idea. Either save up and do it right, or don't do it at all.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:48 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

That E-force will rock your '11 GT

Especially with the 3.73s/auto.

When I do go FI in the future, I have my sights on the Roush R2300 which has the same eaton 2300 TVS internals as the E-force (though different set up).

Just be careful of all that low end torque which would be more than happy to snap some rods if you're not careful

Way different animal than the polite and friendly centri-supercharger
Old 09-14-2010, 12:54 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Thanks for that info. The more I read, the more I see that a non-IC SC is a bad idea. Either save up and do it right, or don't do it at all.
lol I wouldn't get it if you live in Atlanta.. I live in Alaska where it never gets hotter than 80 and averages about 65 during the summer, and I still got heat soaked like a **** during the cooler days. No one likes to spend $4k only to run 13s.. and that's a mid 13 at that!

I am still keeping mine and throwing an air to air intercooler on it next year. I can't sell it without at least seeing what this bad boy can REALLY do. I have only heard great things about the intercooled Vortech/Paxton so I am very interested.

Some old asian guy pointed out my V3 non-intercooled and said "bad.. hot air dryer" rofl
Old 09-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Theres nothing wrong with the non-IC setup, its safe and whatnot. The real question is your expected usage. If you plan to drag race the car at a track over and over again, you'd be better off with an intercooler so you'd get a few more runs in before it got heat soaked. On the other hand if you're just looking for an occasional boost in power when you nail it, the non-IC kits are just fine.

For $3900 on the Vortech non-IC, vs something like the Roush M90 which I think is like $4300~, I would say in most cases the Roush is a better buy for the average person -- unless you want to make massive power later. The centris like the Vortech are capable of insane levels of power.

If I end up driving out to Brenspeed, I think the most likely build I'd do is detroit rocker cams, LT headers / exhaust, 4.10s, delete plates, UDPs and a driveshaft. That is doable for about $5k installed. I already have the intake and tuner which would be used still. I wouldn't have the raw power of the supercharger, but I think the car would hold its own pretty damn well... The only thing that could sway me I think, would be the Saleen kit if they are still willing to sell it for $5400 in the spring. I think with install that would hit 6k though, which is really over what I wanted to spend...

I've stared at that Hellion turbo on the Brenspeed site more than once as well. Maybe a 7psi setting... it would be pretty rare. Not real budget friendly though...

Last edited by Mudflap; 09-14-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Just took the Vortech off..