Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Just took the Vortech off..

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 02:06 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default Just took the Vortech off..

Well, just took the V3 off for the winter and wow.. what a difference it is!

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. The delete plates along with the other mods (4.10s, C&L Racer intake, JBA shorties, 90 oct. Bama race tune, 3inch summit mid pipe) still give the GT a great amount of low end grunt.. too bad there's not much else to it! lulz

It's fast to about 100 or so, then it falls kinda flat... maybe even a modest 80-85 mph, but who drives at those speeds on a consistent basis?

Part throttle acceleration improved, surprisingly and the delete plates added some nice throaty exhaust sounds as well. I love the supercharger and it's overall power, but I am still VERY please with the gains I got with the delete plates. I put it on only a few days before the blower, so I didn't really have a chance to test them out.

I miss the Vortech already, and I feel bad for ever complaining of heat soak.. in all honesty, it blows away my set up right now as is, no question about it.

I can't wait until next year so I can FINALLY feel what real power feels like (450-460whp). The un-install was un-eventful and I got it done in about 45 minutes flat.. I can do it with my eyes closed pretty much lol

I am still very surprised at the amount of low end power I have no compared to with the blower on.. I'd assume that I'd be missing out on a ton of power, yes, up top, but down low it's still VERY strong... go figure lol
Old 09-10-2010, 01:22 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

45 mins? Nice...I'm kinda suprised about your take on the delete plates...May have to look into them...WHat's in store next year (450-460?)...Are you selling the V3? Nice to hear the heat soak concern from both sides of the same car (w/v3 and w/o)...I'm still leaning this way (v3 non-ic'd) but am way afraid of loosing low end...I can only get her to 120ish before hitting traffic/cops anyway...Just want to get there a little more rapidly...
Old 09-10-2010, 04:39 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah I used to type about the heatsoak until I was blue in the fingers. Everyone was always like: OMFG U HAVE NO INTERCOOLER?! ITLL HEATSOAK! My reply has always been, yeah, the intercooled kit will heatsoak too if you beat on it. Even the lowly non-IC kit heatsoaked, its still putting out probably 75-100 more rwhp than a car without the blower. I can see how it would be noticeable...

Not sure what I'll do to this one yet man. Thinking about a full bolt on N/A setup with cams, gears, ds, etc. Might be fun...

Last edited by Mudflap; 09-10-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:01 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

You guys starting a Trend?
I mean, pulling blowers off and stuff.

Stealth, don't forget that Centris are more about revving than boost down low.
It's the nature of the beast, it has that 2 stroke feel to it.
Now coming from a Kenne Bell, you'd be mad lol.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:30 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
45 mins? Nice...I'm kinda suprised about your take on the delete plates...May have to look into them...WHat's in store next year (450-460?)...Are you selling the V3? Nice to hear the heat soak concern from both sides of the same car (w/v3 and w/o)...I'm still leaning this way (v3 non-ic'd) but am way afraid of loosing low end...I can only get her to 120ish before hitting traffic/cops anyway...Just want to get there a little more rapidly...

lulz.. the removal is so easy, I can do it without even thinking about it. it's a great kit, and very basic and bolt on if you ask me.

the delete plates actually make day to day driving better for me because I didn't have to rev it as high. I think that the blower was actually a restriction on the low end because of so much piping and crap, but just the CAI it's all there. It makes a very cool swoooshing sound, which is also cool because it's not exhaust noise like people are used to. The V3 kit will still blow away most set ups NA imo. My GT just isn't the same without it. I am temped to get the FRPP top end kit next year, but with the C&L racer intake manifold.. I kinda like the NA feel.. just need more top end, and I don't mind being a quiney pig for that kit. If I need more power, I'll just throw on the V3 again.

I am getting a paxton air to air intercooler next April and cranking it up to 10 psi

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Yeah I used to type about the heatsoak until I was blue in the fingers. Everyone was always like: OMFG U HAVE NO INTERCOOLER?! ITLL HEATSOAK! My reply has always been, yeah, the intercooled kit will heatsoak too if you beat on it. Even the lowly non-IC kit heatsoaked, its still putting out probably 75-100 more rwhp than a car without the blower. I can see how it would be noticeable...

Not sure what I'll do to this one yet man. Thinking about a full bolt on N/A setup with cams, gears, ds, etc. Might be fun...
the odd thing is, brenspeed told me that the IATs for the non-intercooled and the air to air is the same (???) I find that hard to believe, but than again, you have to be moving to make the air to air work more efficiently, unlike the charge cooler which charges the incoming air via air/water.
I am leaning towards an NA build myself, only because I'd only have the motor to worry about and not all sorts of stuff potentially going bad/wrong. But I am not against another blower. It will most likely be the R2300 Roush TVS.
Originally Posted by pascal
You guys starting a Trend?
I mean, pulling blowers off and stuff.

Stealth, don't forget that Centris are more about revving than boost down low.
It's the nature of the beast, it has that 2 stroke feel to it.
Now coming from a Kenne Bell, you'd be mad lol.

I am going Roots TVS next time around

I still like the Vortech very much.. just needed more boost and cold air, though once I go roots/twin screw, I doubt I'd miss miss it lol

The V3 has great overall power, but I got tired of feeling like there was no power there unless I just romped on it.. going sideways usually is a good indicator of the additional 150+ whp lulz

Last edited by stealth_GT; 09-11-2010 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:52 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

The Vortech is a good kit for the money in the non-IC flavor. IMO once you start moving up to an HO Vortech or Paxton and hit that $5k+ mark, the argument to get the centri over a twin screw or roots blower starts to fade, at least for a street car. I could see doing a centri at high PSI for a drag car... IF I ever bought another blower for this car, it would be either the Saleen or the Edelbrock from Brenspeed...
Old 09-11-2010, 12:24 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

The Vortech is a good kit for the money in the non-IC flavor. IMO once you start moving up to an HO Vortech or Paxton and hit that $5k+ mark, the argument to get the centri over a twin screw or roots blower starts to fade, at least for a street car. I could see doing a centri at high PSI for a drag car... IF I ever bought another blower for this car, it would be either the Saleen or the Edelbrock from Brenspeed...
Ditto.. after the initial taste of the V3, I am surely going with a TVS next up after I go H.O. on the V3.. I might actually just keep the V3, who knows
Old 09-11-2010, 12:28 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Just got done doing some work on my GT.. I had noticed a funny sound and rough idle, so I looked under the hood. Low and behold, one of the pulleys was on backwards lulz

I must have installed it in a rush after a 15 hour work day.. it would explain the "surge" of power I felt when I got on it very lightly. I fixed it, and low and behold.. the surge of power is gone but it's still pretty pronounced. I noticed I gained a few horses up top of 3rd, but in all honesty.. without the blower, mid-up top?? Blaaaahhhhh lol

I can't wait for the intercooler next year, let's just put it that way
Old 09-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I'm sure you could probably get some cash by selling that V3 and put it towards the TVS you want...

We're like a bunch of drunks at an AA meeting aren't we? Bunch of f'in enablers we are...
Old 09-11-2010, 01:35 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I'm sure you could probably get some cash by selling that V3 and put it towards the TVS you want...

We're like a bunch of drunks at an AA meeting aren't we? Bunch of f'in enablers we are...
lol tell me about it.. "one day at a time" my ***.. I'll be drunk by then!

I might sell the V3, but can't but help to hold out to see what an air to air intercooler might do. The swap only takes about an hour per season (long story)
so it's no big deal. I want to hopefully garage/store my GT by then..

Quick Reply: Just took the Vortech off..