MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions-69/)
-   -   Help: need to reach 650rwhp! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/617595-help-need-to-reach-650rwhp.html)

shelbygt2007 09-20-2010 04:54 PM

Help: need to reach 650rwhp!

I have a paxton novi 2200 SL, pypes LT headers w off rd X pipe, GT500 fuel pump and Brenspeed tune. Making around 500rwhp... My target is 650 rwhp which will require upgraded internals (pistons, crankshaft...) and a new s/c pulley to increase the PSI. Would this be enough to reach my target? Any advice on the best brands for these items or general advice on how to reach these number safely?? Thanks...

Simon1 09-20-2010 06:37 PM

Sell the paxton, buy a KB 2.8l, 15 psi, stroked built motor, GT500 pumps, dual BAP, 60# injectors (maybe bigger).

I think you will struggle with drive ability issues and heat with the Paxton.

BruceH 09-20-2010 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by shelbygt2007 (Post 7208337)
I have a paxton novi 2200 SL, pypes LT headers w off rd X pipe, GT500 fuel pump and Brenspeed tune. Making around 500rwhp... My target is 650 rwhp which will require upgraded internals (pistons, crankshaft...) and a new s/c pulley to increase the PSI. Would this be enough to reach my target? Any advice on the best brands for these items or general advice on how to reach these number safely?? Thanks...

I don't think you can do 650 safely. Like Simon mentioned you will need a big twin screw. A procharger or turbo could get you there too. I know a few people making 600+ with a 4.6 and it takes the motor, fuel, fuel supply, maf, and tuning. You will also need a different transmission and possibly a 9" rear.

Both of the setups I've seen are terminators. One with an aluminator long block force fed by a 76mm turbo at 24.5 lbs of boost running race gas.

The other has a big ass KB on it and I can't remember the supporting mods details.

If you are seriously considering doing this it would be best to do some google searches with "s197forums" somewhere in the text.

BFMacias 09-20-2010 08:29 PM

What do you guys think you could get out of a 2.3l Whipple runnin 20 pounds, P/P stage 3 heads, shorties(smog), and a built 302?

onederful100 09-20-2010 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by BFMacias (Post 7208627)
What do you guys think you could get out of a 2.3l Whipple runnin 20 pounds, P/P stage 3 heads, shorties(smog), and a built 302?

friend of mine has Whipple 2.3
Livernois 298 stroker
stage 3 cams and ported heads
14 psi
and other goodies, but those are the main ones
makes 640 rwhp

forensicsteve 09-21-2010 06:46 AM

general advice on how to reach these number safely

Take out the word "safely". More people blow built motors than stock motors....depending on the intended use.

There are rwhp goals and ET ones. What do you want to do with your 650 rear wheel? If vehicle is going to remain a daily and you just want a nice pretty dyno sheet, not difficult to get to 650. If you want to get into 10s or even 9s consistently, you are no longer modding the car.....you will be rebuilding the car....and you will need 2 budgets....one for the rebuild and the other for replacing/fixing all the sh%t that is going to break along the way....

...and that is why the vast majority of folk have rwhp goals....easier and way cheaper.

dysan 09-21-2010 09:02 AM

Also consider that at that power level you're more than likely going to have to run either E85 or race fuel. For the E85 you're going to need to upgrade your fuel system for the extra amount of fuel needed.

640rwhp on 14lbs with a whipple? He's got to have some crazy timing to pull that one off.

SpartaPerformance 09-21-2010 06:52 PM

1st thing there is no safe 650RWHP like somebody said, 2nd I agree with Simon ditch the paxton but I prefer Whipple to a KB but either or. I also would prefer to spend the extra money and get CNC ported heads and a custom grind set of cam made for your blower, heads and exhaust. IMO off the shelf is a jack of all trades master of none. The Livernois stage 2 heads are great price but made from used castings, the FRPP "Big Valve" heads are new casting and flow great too but they are $$$$. As for the block I don't think you need stroker the 9.8:1 compression FRPP Aluminator 3V block would work perfectly especially with ported heads and long tubes.

onederful100 09-21-2010 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by dysan (Post 7209148)
Also consider that at that power level you're more than likely going to have to run either E85 or race fuel. For the E85 you're going to need to upgrade your fuel system for the extra amount of fuel needed.

640rwhp on 14lbs with a whipple? He's got to have some crazy timing to pull that one off.

i'm not sure what the timing is, but it's on 92 octane.
there are plenty of other mods on the car, like whipple inlet elbow, TB, and i'm not sure what else.
but i was surprised at the power it made.

Simon1 09-21-2010 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by onederful100 (Post 7208654)
friend of mine has Whipple 2.3
Livernois 298 stroker
stage 3 cams and ported heads
14 psi
and other goodies, but those are the main ones
makes 640 rwhp

I like that Whipple blower, but if I were going to run 650 daily I would want something bigger, not operating near it's max. So a whipple, maybe the 2.9 or 3.4 would be my choice. But Both of those require so custom fabbing to make fit and the hood may not work on it correctly. The 2.3 is capable of getting there, I would be concerned on longevity of that blower (operating at near it's MAX PSI), IAT temps.

That's why I like the KB 2.8. 15 psi, maybe a cam or a new head or both and you will make 650 on pump all day long.

Even thinking of the procharger, I don't see many folks doing that with our cars. Be neat to see.