Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

KB 2.6 stage 1 - install

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

lol same here. Beautiful weather this last week or so. And will continue for a while... Until of course I get finished with the install lol then it will rain for sure.

Part of the reason for the late start is I had some prep work to do. Crank pulley had to be changed out. Midpipe had to come off for a bung and then put back on. My battery tray was destroyed from corrosion (leaky batt) and I had to buy a new one and new battery. Also had to sand down and clean off some corrosion from the battery inside there and re-paint over it with rustoleum. Was a bit of work just to get ready to install this thing.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:17 AM
ziperhead
2nd Gear Member

Bolt from hell is easy. Heater hoses can be a pia. I just used a mirror to see the hose connections to figure out how to disconnect them and they came right off .
Old 10-01-2010, 04:34 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I will have to get over there to check this out sometime... Good luck with everything!!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

These are from last night. Here's a photo of the oil that dripped down from the stock manifold after it sat on the table overnight. Think I'm getting some blow-by? lol!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Alternator off in this one.

Having stayed up until 1AM then got up for work at 6:30 the last two days in a row.
I may be calling it an early night tonight if I can just get the heater core hoses off and
get the "bolt from hell" out.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:43 PM
CobraFrenzy
3rd Gear Member

Best of luck to you riptide, i hav a 96 Cobra with a 2.1 KB and ive never been dissapointed, and im sure you wont be iether. Dont giv up
Old 10-01-2010, 09:13 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
These are from last night. Here's a photo of the oil that dripped down from the stock manifold after it sat on the table overnight. Think I'm getting some blow-by? lol!

Alternator off in this one.

Having stayed up until 1AM then got up for work at 6:30 the last two days in a row.
I may be calling it an early night tonight if I can just get the heater core hoses off and
get the "bolt from hell" out.
You will get it done, no problem. Time really flies when doing this stuff.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Hehe, nice job labeling everything with the tape/marker. I have plans of doing similar...
Old 10-01-2010, 11:14 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Ah, yes. Fond, recent memories.
I just installed the same setup, sort of.
Take your time, you still have a long way to go. But you'll get there.

There's a lot of experience with these KB installed here, so feel free to ask questions or if you're missing something!

At some point ,it may look something like this:

Ok well, eventually more like these:

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...complete-1.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...complete-3.jpg

Last edited by tx_zstang; 10-01-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:44 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I ended up having to get my friend to do the heater core hoses. I could not get them to click for me. I tried pushing up into the foam and pressed down but it just didn't want to work.

The "bolt from hell" is easy to remove. Putting it back in when the time comes may be a bit more difficult.

What a mess all the coolant was. When I removed the heater tube it spilled everywhere in the valley and made a huge mess. I'm not sure why there was so much left in there.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Spent some more time on this tonight. Made it up to step 100 on disassembly process.

Here is the thermostat housing ready to be pulled apart. I took the upper hose off even though the instructions don't ask you to do this. It was in the way as was the power steering reservoir which I also temporarily moved out of the way. BTW - good luck getting a torque wrench on those two bolts when you put them back. They go in from underneath and are in a tight spot.

Here is the new thermostat in place. Also, instructions say it is a 160 degree part. But as you can see that is not the case. It is a 170 degree thermostat.

Here's a picture of the passenger side radiator hose which was removed. As you can see the stock clamp is trashed. There is a nice crack there. I will need to pickup a replacement.

PCM is ready to come out. Looms and connectors have been pulled off the bracket and pushed over to the tensioner area to keep them out of the way per the instructions.

Where I quit for the night. Thermostat done, PCM + bracket out, and fuse box bracket removed.

Last edited by Riptide; 10-02-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Quick Reply: KB 2.6 stage 1 - install