Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

CHE K-Member Brace with Torque Limiters

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 03:15 PM
dseid2
2nd Gear Member

Default CHE K-Member Brace with Torque Limiters

Just installed a CHE K-Member with Torque Limiters. My Stang is a year old and has 11K on the odometer. I recently noticed that I misseda couple ofshifts while the car was under a heavy load (6000 rpm's shifts, don't take your foot of the gas types of loads). I figured that the stock motor mounts were breaking in a little and the torque of the engine was causing the trans linkage to deform, hence missed shifts. I thought of going with solid or polyurethane motor mounts, but figured it would add vibration to the ride. I decided to take off my Steeda G-Trac brace and install a CHE K-Member brace with torque limiters. I figured bolting down the bell housing would stop the torque deflection and leave me with a livable ride. When you order the CHE parts you can specify solid rod end, or rod ends with polyurethane bushings. I went with the bushings. I installed it myself Friday evening after work. Very easy to install, and when you compress the torque limiters you lower the drive train a quarter inch, just like solid motor mounts. The draw backI would think is that the CHE parts add weight,5 lbs's or so over the Steeda G-Trac brace. I thought about a new shift linkage, but did not want to replace the shift linkagewith outbolting down the drive train first. What good is a new shift linkage if theenginetorque deforms it?

Results: Sofar so good. Did not change the ride much, the car may be a little stiffer (see other mods ins sig)and maybe there is a little more vibration in the shift handle. No missed shifts so far, but I have not had the adrenalin flowing yet. Will report back.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:04 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Default RE: CHE K-Member Brace with Torque Limiters

How much was that, I really need one of them.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:44 PM
dseid2
2nd Gear Member

$160 + shipping
Old 10-28-2007, 10:56 PM
D_Gusler
3rd Gear Member

Nice. Let us know it it goes after a few hard runs--I think I'm gonna either have to do this or some poly motor mounts one.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:45 PM
majustin1
2nd Gear Member

It seems like most of us with the hurst sts are looking for help smoothing out shifts. I like the look but i may eventually be one that jumps ship for the MGW, especially if i go FI. Can't risk popping a motor over a missed shift at 6K+. I have not missed any shifts yet at 6k, i have actually done a really nice job i think, but i still would not want to risk it.
Good luck with the brace and let us knwo how it works for you.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

love my che kmember brace w/ torque limiters. Driveline flex did my original tr3650 in at the 3 month/3500 mile mark. Haven't had a missed shift or any grinding since the che install.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:12 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

I loved it till I saw a broken transmission mount thanks to the torque limiter -.-
Old 11-09-2007, 07:57 AM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: androdz

I loved it till I saw a broken transmission mount thanks to the torque limiter -.-
I've been considering getting this but you post made me curious. How do the torque limiter break a transmission mount? I'd figure of anything the torque limiters would take stress off the transmission mount. Or do you mean the transmission bell housing broke where the torque limiter is mounted?

Thanks for any clarification.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:10 AM
androdz
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 06VistaBlueGT

ORIGINAL: androdz

I've been considering getting this but you post made me curious. How do the torque limiter break a transmission mount? I'd figure of anything the torque limiters would take stress off the transmission mount. Or do you mean the transmission bell housing broke where the torque limiter is mounted?

Thanks for any clarification.
It broke on the engine block. Where you put the bolt thru the limiter thru the transmission bell housing thru the engine block. It broke the engine block. Ill post pictures later.

Andrew
Old 11-12-2007, 01:25 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

WTF,I was just about to order one of these when I saw this post.
Can you please post more on this, HP of your stang what you were doing, PICS?
I have wondered about this, if it holds the tranny in place where is all of that energy going that was twisting the tranny out of place.
Thank You.

Quick Reply: CHE K-Member Brace with Torque Limiters