Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Valvesprings and JD desinged a better mousetrap

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Default Valvesprings and JD desinged a better mousetrap

I'm changing my valvesprings to comp beehive. My boost is getting to the point I feel the valvetrain needs it.

Hammeron was nice enough to lend me his spring compressor. Lucky for me I read JDWalton's write up on changing valvesprings. The first one took 1 hour. Fiddling with the keepers took the most time. The compression tool just doesn't have enough travel to fully compress the spring enough to put the keepers back on and the geometry makes reinstalling a spring very difficult. Then I went to Home Depot and bought a threaded rod coupler per JD's write up. The next spring took 10 minutes. Those were both intake springs. Just got done with an exhaust and it has different challanges.

First spring compressed and keepers removed. Magnet placed under valve to catch any stray keepers.

First spring and retainer done. No siht took 1 hour!

Second spring using the JD mod.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:21 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

looking good BruceH, can't wait to hear how you like your new cams and springs.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:24 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Passenger side springs are done. I think I'd rather have another vasectomy than do this again. I've settled into a routine of do one cylinder and take a break. My middle aged back can't take much more than that. It's down to about 30-45 minutes per cylinder (3 valvesprings).

Cams still aren't here so maybe next week on that. I should of changed the springs during my motor build when the heads were off. It was suggested to me but I didn't listen.
Old 10-16-2010, 01:33 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i don't think it was so much that you didn't listen, it was probably more that you wanted to
minimize changes to the system. we all know what happens to some folks when they try and
do too much at once and something goes wrong. my back doesn't appreciate this kind of work
either, so i try to jack the car up to waist height to make it a little more comfortable.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:52 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Lost a keeper. I had the oil drainbacks plugged so I know it's not in the crankcase. Only got 4 cylinders done today. This thing is kicking my butt. 6 springs left and I'm done until the cams get here.

Here's the damage.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:03 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Look what fell out when I was rotating the crank!

Old 10-17-2010, 09:34 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

It's all done. This was the most brutal thing I've done to the motor. It took almost the whole weekend between mandatory old man back rests and putting little tiny keepers on oily valvestems set on angle. Next up is the cam swap. Comon UPS!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:12 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BruceH
Look what fell out when I was rotating the crank!
i take it that's the AWOL keeper! nice.

glad the hard parts over, the cam portion should be a cake walk compared to the springs.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

When I had my motor built I had the same springs put in.

What cams are you getting? I have thought about getting them if I could find a place to smog my car here in Cali.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:34 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
When I had my motor built I had the same springs put in.

What cams are you getting? I have thought about getting them if I could find a place to smog my car here in Cali.
I ordered comp 127300. They were used in some saleen motors so I'm thinking they would pass emissions.

It's taking too long for them to get here. I contacted the seller and he's saying the cams should of been in a package I got last week. So now there a little drama.

Quick Reply: Valvesprings and JD desinged a better mousetrap