Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Worth it to supercharge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Getting blown was by far the best mod I have ever installed in a car! Just be ready for the inevitable problem of trying to deal with a never ending smile every time you drive it
Old 10-20-2010, 10:32 AM
black2010
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Is it worthwhile to have sex with a gorgeous, long-legged blond with big ****? Is it worth it to eat a REAL Philly cheesesteak after having sex with a gorgeous, long-legged blond with big ****?

Cease with the stupid questions and mod the thing. You only live once. Besides, with the SC you may stand a bigger chance with the blond...
LOL... You had me literally laughing out loud on this one. Guess it's a good thing my wife already meets that to me :-)

All - I appreciate the feedback. Sounds like I was just having some premature buyer’s remorse about dropping the $$$ on the SC. Was just afraid I'd dump all that money in the car and not really notice the change unless I beat on the car. Sounds like I was wrong.

Back to saving for the SC fund. I may have to hold out a couple more months as doing cams at the same time is one heck of an idea and since I can't take advantage of the $3500 M90's (not for the 2010's) there’s no hurry.

Thanks again for the reinforcement of my insanity :-)
Old 10-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sanity? You have sanity? There are meds for that...
Old 10-20-2010, 11:01 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

heck yeah, you'll notice the power increase.. unless you're very hard to please, you WILL feel the 100-150+whp of a supercharger and be very pleased with it!

Going from superchargered back to only CAI/tune, I lol at thinking it was "quick" when I first got the intake rofl. Yeah, it's quick, but honestly.. it ain't shiet compared to a supercharger!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:23 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

My 3 boxes from Roush came yesterday. That chrome blower is one sexy ****!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

@OP

If you're thinking about building that car just so you can "keep up" with someone else then I suggest you reconsider your thought process there.

Unless you have very deep pockets you will always be slower than someone else. There will be faster production cars in the future than the current 5.0 and corvette. You will be spending thousands on a regular basis (nearly) to keep up with the latest and greatest.

If it really is about beating everyone else and you're on a budget then you chose the wrong car. These aren't cheap cars to build off of.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I think its a fine line personally. The Roush kit is reasonably priced and may be worth it if that is ALL you plan to do really.

Many other kits however, once you put out $6k+ for the kit, then finish installing supporting mods to actually be able to get traction on occasion, maybe put in some gears and a driveshaft, and so on... you get to the point where you've got 10k+ into the car, and its a slippery slope. That is NOT worth it IMO, as you can buy used 07-09 GT500s for low-mid 30s with hardly any miles on them that will ultimately cost you less money to own, and be far more robust.

So I guess my opinion is "maybe", lol. And that maybe hinges on how much money you want to dump in. I'm someone who dumped waaaayy too much money into the last 09 GT I had, and should have just bought a GT500 and saved money (I could have bought a new one and just paid the higher payments, and never achieved the same cash outlay in the time I owned the car). My best advice is to have a budget on what its all worth to you, and stick with that no matter what you do. Some people are fine driving around a $45,000 regular Mustang GT with a blower on it, I'm not. For 45k, I can buy a NICE used Corvette or a Shelby.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I saw an 07 and 08 GT500 with less than 10,000 miles up on autotrader yesterday.

One was $30,995 and the other was I think $32,900.

So yeah. If I didn't already own this car I wouldn't even be screwing with it at this point. It's still going to save money to build it vs. selling and getting into another loan.

Those are mighty tempting prices.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah dude I'm with ya. The ONLY reason I even have another Mustang is this thing was 23k new. I enjoy cars and modding them, but I've capped my budget this time at about $6500 total. This will keep the investment into the car at under 30k which is acceptable to me to have a nice blown GT that is personalized.

It all comes down to what interests you and what your threshold is for dumping money into a car. My advice is to just never lose sight of what you could have for the same money otherwise, and be "ok" with it which ever way you go. It wasn't until after I had parted with about $10,000 that it dawned on me I should have just bought a new GT500 and paid an extra ~$275/month in payment. Would have been cheaper...
Old 10-20-2010, 11:49 AM
black2010
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
@OP

If you're thinking about building that car just so you can "keep up" with someone else then I suggest you reconsider your thought process there.

Unless you have very deep pockets you will always be slower than someone else. There will be faster production cars in the future than the current 5.0 and corvette. You will be spending thousands on a regular basis (nearly) to keep up with the latest and greatest.

If it really is about beating everyone else and you're on a budget then you chose the wrong car. These aren't cheap cars to build off of.
You have good points but I actually wrote my message with different intensions than how it's perceived. Probally bad examples to use.

I'm not really in it to beat cars out there as I don't race and fully understand that their is always a faster car but on the otherhand having a 2011 V6 make me nervious is not much fun either... I'm really just looking to have a fun car that's power matches the exterior mods while not being too much to handle for daily driving.

Quick Reply: Worth it to supercharge?