Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Worth it to supercharge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Stick with bolt ons then especially if the car is a DD or you need "reliability".

Blown setups are introducing complexity into the system and a lot more that can fail or can be fussy. And without a built engine you are taking a significant risk.

Not to mention at 400+whp the car starts to lose some of it's "manners" on the street and needs sticky tires to even have a shot at hooking up from a dig. You don't want that setup if you drive in the rain frequently or in the snow.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:09 PM
dstang10
2nd Gear Member

I plan on supercharging after I pay off my car next year. I haven't decided what brand or centri/screw yet. For the time being i'm just enjoying my car. Build a car that puts a smile on your face when you drive it.

How often do you actually find yourself racing a 5.0 or a vette? Not often. So build a car that makes you happy. There will always be something better. I plan on getting another mustang in the future.....maybe it will have a twin turboed big block from the factory and i'll be worrying about keeping up with ferrari's and lamborginis.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:09 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

no regrets here...
Old 10-20-2010, 01:17 PM
replica
4th Gear Member

Fast is a matter of perception. Before you spend $3,500 on what you think you might enjoy, consider doing gears first. I just got mine done today, for $604 parts and labor, and it's a night and day difference. Is the car any faster? Probably not. But it sure feels faster. Way faster. That's all I care about.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:08 PM
USAF Jetman

Has anyone considered the Edelbrock E-Series or have opinions about them? I've been looking at them, not sure how the other superchargers operate, but this one seems good due to fact that it operates off of vacuum pressure. The only time the SC is boosting is when your heavy on the throttle (drop in vac pressure), during normal driving it runs normally asperated for good MPG. I also like the fact that it has it's own oil system. Here's the link if anyones interested:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...injected.shtml

There's some cool operational video's in site also...can't find them right now tho.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:11 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

As people have stated u could just buy a gt500 and be done but in my situation it made more sense to buy a brand new 07gt and then mod it. I have since paid it off last spring and have done the following mods below without putting a strain on my finances. For me its very important to have the car paid off as i hate to have a car payment. I will be adding a saleen supercharger next spring. All my mods have been paid for in full with cash on hand. I find it much easier to bargain with. So the supercharger will be a cash on hand mod also.

Plus building your car on your own terms adds to the excitement.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by USAF Jetman
Has anyone considered the Edelbrock E-Series or have opinions about them? I've been looking at them, not sure how the other superchargers operate, but this one seems good due to fact that it operates off of vacuum pressure. The only time the SC is boosting is when your heavy on the throttle (drop in vac pressure), during normal driving it runs normally asperated for good MPG. I also like the fact that it has it's own oil system. Here's the link if anyones interested:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...injected.shtml

There's some cool operational video's in site also...can't find them right now tho.
There are at least a handful of people on here running that kit. Do a search on "edelbrock" in the title under the 2005-2010 forums heading and you should find plenty to read about.

Its a good kit, designed by the same dude that designed the Saleen blower. If you like supercharger whine sound, that kit is not for you. Its whisper quiet / stealthy.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:12 AM
starbai
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Is it worthwhile to have sex with a gorgeous, long-legged blond with big ****? Is it worth it to eat a REAL Philly cheesesteak after having sex with a gorgeous, long-legged blond with big ****?

Cease with the stupid questions and mod the thing. You only live once. Besides, with the SC you may stand a bigger chance with the blond...
love the logic
Old 02-10-2011, 02:29 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

No other mod has given me the gains that the supercharger has. Even with it non-intercooled and gears, it made a tremendous difference. If I could do it again, I would go intercooled or a twin screw.. forget the small mods here and there.

Don't believe me?

here is a modest M90 vs a CAI/tune GT and some other cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiCta...1&feature=fvwp

Last edited by stealth_GT; 02-11-2011 at 01:02 AM.