Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Build Motor or Supercharge?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 09:33 PM
TD300

Default Build Motor or Supercharge?

I have been debating on whether building a motor for my 2005 mustang GT with almost 50k miles or just putting a pro charger or kenne bell on it and then building a motor later. But with getting a supercharger i would pully it down to making low boost where i could salvage my motor as long as possible. Or i was thinking to get a MMR Street rod Long block stroker and having it built the way i wanted it and later putting a supercharger on it...
What do you guys think??

P.S. where i am at college i cant really drive my car around that much so it sits for about 5 days at a time and when i start it up for the first time and pull it out of the garage it has some blue smoke coming out of it. So it worrys me that if supercharged i will be assembling a grenade ready to blow at a moments notice....
Old 11-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't worry about the smoke. Unless it's smoking al the time or going through alot of oil, don't worry.

Get a KB, run 10 psi @ 475 rwhp and leave it till it blows. Which it probably won't.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:40 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Don't worry about the smoke, in Ford infinite design "wisdom" they run oil through the intake manifold so a bit of smoke on start up is "normal". To poor a lot of money into a "built" motor and get very little power doesn't make any sense. I'd supercharge it, believe it or not you can run them even at 10 - 11 psi on stock motor for years especially on their stock tune. Provided you drive like a normal human (as normal as you can get with all that power) you can get thousands and thousands of miles out of them.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on the smoke at startup being typically normal, especially if your start followed a previous, short start/shutdown.

IMO, go FI if you have the cash (for a college boy?). I think getting the motor built would be your least bang-for-the-buck and could possibly reduce your overall reliability.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:00 PM
loots06
5th Gear Member

blower...
Old 11-22-2010, 10:44 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Build motor first; get it all working ok. then put a big-*** blower on it!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:41 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Building the motor now won't really save you any money in the long run. Supercharge it, and if it goes, it goes. Just be prepared for the motor to blow. It will probably never happen, but it could happen on day 2 if things aren't set up right.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

If/when the motor blows up it could damage your cylinder heads. And I've also heard that it's possible parts of the engine could end up inside your supercharger if you are running a twinscrew or roots that replaces your manifold and sits on top of the engine.

Is any of that likely? Probably not. But IIRC I have read of that happening around here. Heads aren't cheap either nor is a rebuild on the blower if anything ends up in there.

Pay to play? Guess so.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
If/when the motor blows up it could damage your cylinder heads. And I've also heard that it's possible parts of the engine could end up inside your supercharger if you are running a twinscrew or roots that replaces your manifold and sits on top of the engine.

Is any of that likely? Probably not. But IIRC I have read of that happening around here. Heads aren't cheap either nor is a rebuild on the blower if anything ends up in there.

Pay to play? Guess so.
I say very possible. My engine (parts/oil/anti-freeze) went through my heads, into my intake, out my intake pipe and into my intercooler.

Most people when the blow a motor with a twin screw go through the intercooler really well and/or send it back for cleaning.

My heads were not damaged, but my valves (seats reground), phasers, lifters (maybe another term) and springs (COMP/stiffer than stock) were replaced.

I remember someone saying their heads were toasted after their motor blew. I kept asking him what was toast about them and he never said. He beleived the shop and never looked for himself. Ended up buying a new set of heads and who knows what happen to the set, that at most, needed rebuilding.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Simon what were the circumstances of your blown engine? How much boost? Just wondering.

The KB stage 1 or 2 seems relatively "safe" but I know anything can happen. There are no guarantees. I'm still gonna beat on it though. Life's to short to feather foot it.

Quick Reply: Build Motor or Supercharge?