Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

I want to install my own headers. Help me out.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 01:31 AM
lethaldosage

I did mine with a ratchet, wrench, sockets, extensions, and a swivel (for some odd angles). All of this should be the norm for any toolbox. Didnt need any special tools, just a lot of patience and curse words.

As for the O2 extensions, I didnt need any. Theres a main wire harness thats behind the motor, above the transmission that youll have to unhook from the plastic piece its connected to. Push down the wire and it'll give you the extra length you need to reach the new spots on the aftermarket headers. By doing this, it'll give you the extra slack you need for the stock O2 sensors to reach.

The install was pretty easy, except for this one header bolt on the drivers side, and the steering linkage was kind of a pain. This install is definitely made out to be worse than it actually is. You will need a friend to help with some parts (like holding the header in place while you place the gaskets).
Old 12-04-2010, 10:39 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Alright. Only thing I don't have is a swivel. Thanks
Old 12-04-2010, 03:05 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...&blockType=G25

Dude this is what you want. I tried it with a swivel, sure it kinda worked but it sucked bigtime. Bought the wrench and the next day, OMG so much simpler.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:31 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

While you're doing the install, watch out for bolts and other things that may end up coming close to the headers, even if not mentioned in the instructions or steps, especially around the heat shield over the a-arm bushings. I had to remove a couple of the small shield hold-down bolts to prevent possible hitting of the headers when the car runs.

Take your time, do it right. It's a pita, but, it'll be worth it!
Old 12-11-2010, 09:37 PM
VetteHunter
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RAT281
The install is not very hard just time consuming, especially if it is your first time. The first time I did a set, it took me around 9 hours. I would suggest getting them jet hot coated because the nice shine they come with will not last. I know stainless steel will not rust but it def will turn color
MY borla exhaust is almost golden now! lol she still sounds nice though