Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

31k miles scheduled maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:43 PM
ChrisIA
1st Gear Member

Default 31k miles scheduled maintenance!

My 06 GT just hit 31k miles and wondering what maintenance is needed.
Figure spark plugs, fuel filter, cabin filter, brakes and oil are due as well.

anything else i should be doing? transmission fluid and such. read that the barrings on the gears should also be changed. any tips and correction is very welcome.
Thank You in advance.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:33 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Owners manual.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChrisIA
My 06 GT just hit 31k miles and wondering what maintenance is needed.
Figure spark plugs (no. why? are you having problems?), fuel filter (simple enough to do yourself. use the dozens of How-To's throughout the forum), cabin filter (absolutely ridiculous to worry about but if you must, do it yourself using the How-To's. Buy one for $6 and take the 5 minutes to do it), brakes (again, why? are you doing motor-X? racing? are they acting up?)and oil (another incredibly easy DIY) are due as well.

anything else i should be doing? transmission fluid and such. read that the barrings (huh?) on the gears should also be changed (where the f**k are getting THIS???). any tips and correction is very welcome.
Thank You in advance.
Check your OM. At your rate, you'll be raped for every penny you have. It's one thing to pay to have stuff done that's necessary. It's another to have unnecessary things done. We'll have you turn in your man card if you think you need new muffler bearings.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

At 30K miles, there's really not a lot to do other than some basic stuff. You should be doing routine oil/filter changes at 5,000-7,500 miles if you're using the synthetic blend that our come from the factory with.

If you have the stock air filter, replace it every 15k miles.

Replace the fuel filter at 30,000 miles or so if you're having issues. Otherwise, go longer.

Clean the MAF and TB about every 30,000 miles if you're having issues.

Cabin air filter... assuming you wear a dust mask from the house to the car and you also don't open the car windows, then by all means. Otherwise, replace it by your own **** self. Wait until you SEE the cabin air filter. What a joke.

You're not ready for any other fluid changes.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:09 PM
ChrisIA
1st Gear Member

not sure where your coming from nuke, but i use RP and its been about 3k miles since my last change. my brakes are bad and need replacing. simple enough for you? also good luck even finding out you have a cabin filter in the owners manual. but its a $5 product that take five minutes to change. big deal? i don't thinks so, but whatever.
side note: i did find it being sold by ford for $23 bucks though... not counting shipping of coarse.
also ford recommends changing it every 15k miles.
only been getting about 20mpg lately without the heat on and I'm driving easier then in the summer. with the windows down and air on i was still getting almost 25mpg. figure fuel filter should help that out, and its on the scheduled maintenance.
Clean the MAF and TB. got it, thank you.
i kinda wanted to change the transmission fluid just to try the RP for it cause i loved the oil change. and maybe try the coolant too.. lol
Old 11-30-2010, 09:30 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

it sounds like you will be doing these things yourself and of course
we are all for that. even though your original post didn't say it, it read as though
you were taking the car in and dropping it off at the stealership and handing them
a blank check.

there is an on-line service manual for our cars, if you are interested someone
can post the link for it.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Here's the link to the shop manual:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=1
Old 12-02-2010, 06:16 PM
ChrisIA
1st Gear Member

yeah I'm doing it myself lol. I'm not made of money, besides its easy sh*t. thanks for the link.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:41 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Also, check the "HowTo's" in the sticky in the 2005-2011 main forum. Lot's of great info in the stickies.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:09 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Nuke, you need to take a seat becuase I'm about to school you on these cabin air filters! I'm not usually one to complain, but you're simply naive on the subject.

You know the main reason for the cabin air filter is NOT a hepafilter?

Quick Reply: 31k miles scheduled maintenance!