Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2005 main stud help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:07 PM
djmessick

Originally Posted by BruceH
Are you talking about head bolts?

No I'm talking about the main bolts.
Thanks for the reply
Old 12-03-2010, 08:21 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by djmessick
No I'm talking about the main bolts.
Thanks for the reply
It's just that your posts and shop advice don't make any sense. Good luck.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:54 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Do this. pull the plug on your # 6 cylinder, see if you have coolant in there. If not #6, check your other cylinders until you find a wet plug.

You likely have a blown head gasket; main bolts are not going to do you any good.
Putting it back together, once the blown head gasket it replaced, using ARP head studs will help.

"Bolt stretching causing you to loose coolant", bullcrap. Gaskets make the seal. Bolts hold the parts in place. If a seal breaks, a bolt is not going to flex back and seal it. A bolt make have stretched, and is no good, and the gasket is toast.

Find yourself someone who really knows engines; the person who told you that doesn't know.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:54 AM
djmessick

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
Do this. pull the plug on your # 6 cylinder, see if you have coolant in there. If not #6, check your other cylinders until you find a wet plug.

You likely have a blown head gasket; main bolts are not going to do you any good.
Putting it back together, once the blown head gasket it replaced, using ARP head studs will help.

"Bolt stretching causing you to loose coolant", bullcrap. Gaskets make the seal. Bolts hold the parts in place. If a seal breaks, a bolt is not going to flex back and seal it. A bolt make have stretched, and is no good, and the gasket is toast.

Find yourself someone who really knows engines; the person who told you that doesn't know.
Your not getting what I'm asking I already know that... I'm having trouble finding the arp bolts and windage tray! I am going to replace the head gasket but why do it till I can get the bolts? And if I'm going to replace the bolts I'd like to go ahead and put the windage tray on too! I know y'all are trying to help but none of this has told where I can find a windage tray...
Thanks
Daniel
Old 12-04-2010, 10:36 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Your not getting what I'm asking I already know that... I'm having trouble finding the arp bolts and windage tray! I am going to replace the head gasket but why do it till I can get the bolts? And if I'm going to replace the bolts I'd like to go ahead and put the windage tray on too! I know y'all are trying to help but none of this has told where I can find a windage tray...
Thanks
Daniel
You can find this site, make a post, ask really strange questions, but can't do this?

Where are you trolling from?

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&expIds=...8ec2db23988f7d

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...8ec2db23988f7d

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...8ec2db23988f7d
Old 12-04-2010, 11:10 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

I'm having trouble finding the arp bolts and windage tray!
you can probably get both from summitracing.com
Old 12-04-2010, 11:39 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I also told you where you could get a windage tray way back. What you're trying to fix, and wanting to buy just doesn't match up though.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:38 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

my guess after rereading this thing, is the motor is out and while he's repairing
one issue (the head gasket) he's wanting to shore up as much of the motor
as possible. i could be wrong, because details are missing here and there and this
is the best i can come up with. he's probably just like us and never wants to see the
engine on a stand again.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:14 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
my guess after rereading this thing, is the motor is out and while he's repairing
one issue (the head gasket) he's wanting to shore up as much of the motor
as possible. i could be wrong, because details are missing here and there and this
is the best i can come up with. he's probably just like us and never wants to see the
engine on a stand again.
You're probably right. I was just hoping he wasn't going to tear stuff apart JUST to install new main studs.

There are also a few shops such as Brenspeed that don't recommend anything other than TTY bolts for the heads, so the OP should be aware of that if he decides to use something else.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:35 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I was just assuming also that you wanted to just replace the main studs.

I looked at getting a canton windage tray, but kept the stock one. Not sure which ARP main bolts/studs were used in my build. I think we used 4 studs that the tray was then mounted to, and the others were bolts and not studs.

Quick Reply: 2005 main stud help!