Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

What needs to be upgraded in the 3V for supercharging?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 02:21 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Ha ha, feels pretty good. The 509whp run was with Kenne Bell's tune. Great power up top but part throttle driving sucked. Now I've got Brenspeed's tune, 10 times better all around but I don't know if they're as aggressive with the timing up top, gotta go back to the dyno.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:27 PM
pimp_n_performance

If you decide to redo your motor, stay away from the Eagle Stroker kit.. I picked up an 05 with a "built motor" and the Turbonetics single turbo kit... Blowby in 2 cylinders required tear down. What we found is laughable at best..
First of all, Eagle uses an Arias Piston that starts life as a Harley Davidson Blank.. The same piston that is used for Harleys is machined to work with this kit.. Pin height is less than ideal, on the downstroke, half the piston including a good portion of the rings flops around in the crank case before it makes it back up into the cylinder..
This caused premature wear to the skirts, seizing of the rings which also damaged the block.. All this from a well maintained motor with a mild tune.. You could actually hear them knocking on cold starts..
The end result? Piston and ring failure with less than 20K miles on the build, piston skirts worn out, needing new pistons, rings etc.. I also had to replace all of the Eagle rods which is another story, block had to be bored .20 over (salvaged the block and crank)
I talked to the dude at Arias and his answer to me was this.. "You got 20K miles out of that setup? You did good.." I swear on dead people this is what the dude said...
The good news is that I took the time to port and polish the heads, modify the stock CMP (gutted the stockers, improved the shape as well, no more restrictions around the injectors, also smoothed out the rough castings and port matched them, welded holes where butterflies once lived) the heads were nicely massaged, no more flow restrictions, CUSTOM 1 OFF JE PISTONS made completely from scratch took 2 months to design and build (GRRR!) to address the issues concerning this assembly.. Custom cams by Comp 228/239 duration @.50 520/550 lift 114 lobe..
Tons of mods done to everything, the engine is now being setup to handle 1000+ HP and it is cammed specifically for Turbo.

Didn't mean to thread dump but I figured this to be the right topic to throw that out there..

Last edited by pimp_n_performance; 01-02-2011 at 12:33 PM.