Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

What needs to be upgraded in the 3V for supercharging?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:36 AM
mjscott2

Default What needs to be upgraded in the 3V for supercharging?

I've got a 2005 GT that's been running a 2.6L Kenne Bell intercooled supercharger for over two years. It's been running flawlessly.

Today I pulled a real bonehead move and I think I'll be tearing down the engine. It's been reliably putting down 463 rwhp, but from what I understand, I'm at about the top limit that the stock engine can handle.

What internal parts should I consider replacing? I believe that the powdered piston rods should be replaced with forged parts.

I'm not looking to create a fully built motor, but it would be nice to put a smaller pulley on the supercharger and push rwhp to 500 or 550!

thanks guys,

Mike.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:46 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

all you need is a forged rotating assembly...done! Make sure your getting the fuel you need to the motor too...not sure if you have GT500 pumps or a BAP
Old 12-12-2010, 03:44 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

ditto on the forged rotating assembling.. I damn near lol'd when I saw our pistons/rods for the first time. They're not all that stout, nor large.. kinda dinky looking actually rofl The one that busted on mine was bend back and the piston cracked completely.

Brenspeeds 302 is an excellent choice for a forged shortblock
Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Elaborate on the "bonehead" move. Did you blow it up?

EDIT: n/m. Read the other thread. Yeah that's about as big of an oops as you can make short of crashing the car.

Last edited by Riptide; 12-12-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:55 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Elaborate on the "bonehead" move. Did you blow it up?

EDIT: n/m. Read the other thread. Yeah that's about as big of an oops as you can make short of crashing the car.
What did you do?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Time for an aluminator and a new pulley/tune for the kenne bell.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:49 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

All you need is FRRP Aluminator M-6009-A463V and you're done. As long as your tune is on the money you're good for 800 BHP
Old 12-12-2010, 01:22 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Forged rods and pistons. The stock crank will handle power as long as the revs are kept below 7k. The build thread in my sig details how I built my motor with forged rods and pistons.

The best bargain is going to be the aluminator mentioned above. Call Steve at Tousley Ford for the best price shipped to your door. It used to be $3200.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:14 PM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

Another smart move when building the engine for a twin screw, roots or TVS supercharger is to put an oil pump with billet gears in. There have been issues when people have been at higher rpms and the tires break loose, they let off the gas and get back on it quickly and the gears in the normal oil pumps shatter which will cost you an engine.

You can use your current oil pump and put billet gears in it from TSS(triangle speed shop). It's good insurance that I plan on doing to mine this winter.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:14 PM
mjscott2

Default Thanks.

Ran the engine without oil for less than two minutes. Bad move.

Sounds like all I really need is to replace the rotating assembly, assuming the main bearings are still good.

The aluminator option sounds good, too.

I think I'll have to tear it down to see how much damage there is. I'm guessing that I'm in for a valve job based on the sound of the engine.

Well, I'd been running the engine at about the limit for the stock rotating assembly for 2 1/2 years, so I guess it's time to upgrade anyway. ;-)

The Kenne Bell kit comes with upgraded injectors (39 lb) and Boost-a-pump, which provides plenty of fuel for >700hp.

Quick Reply: What needs to be upgraded in the 3V for supercharging?