Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

best gears for a roots style sc and a auto

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:59 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

M90, auto, 4.10 gears on MT ET streets. Love it!! But I am on the stock convertor for now. I would call your convertor manufacturer and ask them.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:44 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I heard 4.10s and a converter actually take the load off the motor in final drive, especially with boost. Any vids of the M90 in action?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:19 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

No new ones. Our track is closed for paving until spring. Has been raining here everyday........visitors are getting pissed......dont like a rainy Hawaiian Christmas. LOL
Old 12-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I went from 3.31s to 3.73s in my 09 with the Vortech on it, and was disappointed. I wouldn't have done that swap again in retrospect, there was just very little difference. I noticed much more positive results from the aluminum driveshaft. I would say if you must do gears, go all the way to 4.10s or don't bother. ymmv...
Old 12-21-2010, 03:10 PM
VetteHunter
1st Gear Member

i have 3.73s in my magnacharger mustang! they are perfect!! trust me, 3.73s are what you need, now if youre going strictly race and have the right tires, then id suggest 4.10s but only if youre running slicks
Old 12-21-2010, 06:08 PM
nem
2nd Gear Member

As you can see you will get cheer leading from both sides. As mentioned if your going to the track quit often go with the 4.10's and if not go 3.73's. I went with the 3.73's, happy with my decision and noticed a nice difference from the stock 3.31's. I have a Whipple, a PH Drive shaft and my suspension is setup. Gonna get some track time this season everything closed for the winter.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:46 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
No new ones. Our track is closed for paving until spring. Has been raining here everyday........visitors are getting pissed......dont like a rainy Hawaiian Christmas. LOL
better rain and 70 degrees than ice and -30 lulz

Originally Posted by nem
what are the sizes on those rims?? that looks awesome
Old 12-22-2010, 10:21 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

My car came with 3.55 gears stock. I've kept them, as the power + my street tires makes anything steeper mostly unusable on the lower end.

I think the right answer will really depend on what you plan to do most often with the car. For me, 3.55 + blower is plenty for me. Now, if I was drag racing the car often, and had the tires to support it, 4.10's would probably be a lot of fun as well.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:17 PM
streetyme
2nd Gear Member

thanks for all the replies.. If I play it will defintely be on ET Streets... Nem I love the way that car sits... Vettehunter I was thinking about some cams mabye Detroit Rockers or Brenspeed has a grind for a Twin Screw , but I am a roots would it be that different; such as overlap and valve timing? What does anybdoy think about Pypes LT's... Again Thanks... Joe
Old 12-23-2010, 06:14 PM
VetteHunter
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by streetyme
thanks for all the replies.. If I play it will defintely be on ET Streets... Nem I love the way that car sits... Vettehunter I was thinking about some cams mabye Detroit Rockers or Brenspeed has a grind for a Twin Screw , but I am a roots would it be that different; such as overlap and valve timing? What does anybdoy think about Pypes LT's... Again Thanks... Joe
i know comp cams has very specific grinds for the blower, as part of their NSR, VSP, sets... also; call up comp cams and they will work with you to develope a specific grind just for your vehicle. Youll just need to give them some specific information and theyll get a set of cams sent out to you. This is something I haven't done yet, and I normally consult my dad because this is what he does for a living. I just listen and learn from him. He knows the perfect amount of overlap and all that stuff for a blower grind. And I dont know if it makes a difference what type of blower you have. Hes working with Whipple now, so he'll know exactly what a twin screw needs. Mines a roots type blower, and Idk if I'd need a different grind... I can ask him if you ever have any specific questions

Quick Reply: best gears for a roots style sc and a auto