Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

New wheels....vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

Default New wheels....vibration

I got new American Racing wheels and tires from NTB. The rims are torque thrust (chrome). I have had my stang back at NTB 4 times now for a mild vibration in the steering wheel and pedals over 60 mph. Now they are sending me to a local car dealership with a different type of wheel balance machine. Has anyone had this problem with American Racing torque thrust rims? Did I buy junk?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Did you make sure there are no rotor clips remaining on the wheel studs? Even one can be a source of vibration.

If it's not that, then a RoadForce balance is in order and then a good check of the suspension if THAT doesn't resolve it. The RoadForce will detect defects that go totally unnoticced with a typical spin balance.
Attached Thumbnails New wheels....vibration-rotorclips.jpg  
Old 11-14-2011, 12:08 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

It could be the tires as well.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:47 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I have AR Shelby Redlines with no vibration. Sounds like a bad balance/calibration. New shop/dealership for the next trip
Old 11-15-2011, 08:39 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

A couple of things:

1. You are being sent to another place because NTB is using a crappy balance machine. More then likely, the place you are going will be using a Hunter GSP9700 balance machine.

2. ASK for a mixed weight balance. This is wear they use sticky weights on the inside of the wheel AND tack-on weights on the inside rim of the wheel only.

3. If there is still a balance problem or one or more of tires/wheels takes considerable more weight then others, ask them to rotate the tire 180 degrees and re-balance.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:05 AM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

New wheels and tires really shouldn't need to be roadforce balanced.

In a nutshell, roadforce balancing allows a tire to be mounted on the rim in the optimal position so the imprefections in the roundness in the tire and wheel offset each other as much as possible.

I would expect a new tire and rim to not require roadforce balancing to address a vibration.
At our dealership often we use the results of roadforce balancing to confirm a tire is out of round and needs replacement.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

Yesterday the rims/tires were balanced on a roadforce machine. They found 3 rims out of balance. So I took it on the highway and got a continuous vibration on the floor and gas pedal. Before the roadforce I had my steering wheel and floor vibrating.
NTB is looking into replacing the rims!
I have looked on the internet for good looking rims. It seems the good looking rims are replicas or made in China!!( The same as the AM torq thrust m's that are on my mustang now). I don't want the replicas..........
Does anyone have any idea where I can look for "quality" 5 spoke chrome wheels?
Old 11-18-2011, 05:09 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mayberry40
Yesterday the rims/tires were balanced on a roadforce machine. They found 3 rims out of balance. So I took it on the highway and got a continuous vibration on the floor and gas pedal. Before the roadforce I had my steering wheel and floor vibrating.
NTB is looking into replacing the rims!
I have looked on the internet for good looking rims. It seems the good looking rims are replicas or made in China!!( The same as the AM torq thrust m's that are on my mustang now). I don't want the replicas..........
Does anyone have any idea where I can look for "quality" 5 spoke chrome wheels?

Did they do a run-out test on the wheels or did they rotate the tire? Those little red/yellow/green dots on the tire are there for a reason. I have FR500's from AM.com and they came balanced and I have had zero issues with them.

Did they roadforce test the tires? This is where they apply the top roller to the top of the tire and it can tell if something is wrong with the tire.