Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Clunking and wobbling sound while shifting (manual transmission)

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:00 PM
falconium

Question Clunking and wobbling sound while shifting (manual transmission)

Hi all,

I know there are many threads about the transmission having similar symptoms, but I still haven't found one that explains the technical background of it and I also have a little bit different symptom, too.

1. This clucking sound happens anytime I shift up or down, mostly from gear 1st up to 2nd, then (less often) 3rd or vice verse from 3rd down to 2nd, then to 1st, except when I accelerate heavily (like it was tuned for racing), so it is disturbing mostly in traffic jams. If I release the clutch real slow and if I give more gas, then it can be eliminated most of the time.

2. Has someone noticed another symptom like this? If I go slowly in 2nd gear, and while using clutch to give some relief to cam in motor in case of turning for e.g. into a carport slowly and shifting to neutral later, then a very strong wobbling sound can be heard from the back (most probably from differential in the middle of rear axle). It usually happens in neutral and while turning at the same time, but after shifting off from 2nd gear. I ordered my pony with Trackpack II option installed which has "3.73 limited-slip rear axle, carbon fiber clutch plates are added along with dual-piston front brake calipers and more aggressive brake pads, GT500 stabilizer and rear lower control arms, 19” wheels with performance Pirelli tires, and a more forgiving AdvanceTrack tune round out the package".

3. It has been like this from the very beginning.

4. Dealership told me that it is normal, since it was designed for racing, and computer prepares the mechanics in advance for acceleration, not for slowing. It seemed to be bull**** to me, as he also said you don't even have to use the clutch for shifting... Maybe he was talking about automatic transmission, but then it proves that he hadn't even tried the car to check the issue.

5. If I switch to sport mode (advancetrack off), then the situation is much better, so it could really be affected by some computer issue.

Any explanation?

Thank you!

Last edited by falconium; 01-07-2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: not clunking, clucking
Old 01-08-2011, 12:37 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

You need a different shop.
If they told you that you don't need to use your clutch that tells you they are stupid and you need to get ur butt out of that place ASAP and to another one.

And no ... this is not normal.
Those guys simply do not want to do the warranty work on your car.
Take it to another dealership.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:27 PM
falconium

Thanks, Blacksmoke, I'll do that.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 AM
mjscott2

I don't have experience with the TrackPack II clutch, but I do with the GT500 dual plate system.

It has several unique characteristics that are 'normal' according to Ford, but certainly can be disconcerting, and even aggravating.

For example, it frequently shudders at take-off, irrespective of how gently you lift the pedal or how much you rev the engine.

It makes a loud rubbing sound when partially engaged.

Racing clutches typically engage rapidly with little travel. If your clutch really is designed for racing, then it's likely going to suffer driveability issues, which should be expected. It goes with the territory.

Drivetrain 'clunks' are not uncommon with these cars. Both my '05 GT and '07 GT500 have them. Although the loudest one in my GT is probably the u-joint which wasn't designed to take 540 hp. ;-)

All that being said, anybody who tells you that a conventional manual transmission doesn't require use of the clutch is a moron. People to try to rev match when shifting are just begging to destroy their synchros and work over all components in their drivetrain. Get another opinion.

Best of luck.