Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

? about going carb

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:10 PM
07black_gt
1st Gear Member

Default ? about going carb

i have an 07 mustang gt, how would you be able to converit it to Carburetor motor, and would it worth it to do that?
Old 01-08-2011, 07:54 AM
dysan
2nd Gear Member

Unless you plan on going all out with the car making it pretty much a dedicated race car and not being able to pass inspection, don't do it.

Here's a link to someone who is in the process of doing it if you want to read up.

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27798
Old 01-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Why would you do this?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:24 AM
07black_gt
1st Gear Member

just to be a lil different, would there be any advantage to going stroker 4.6 or 302 stroker?
Old 01-09-2011, 07:35 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

I wouldn't go carb, even besides all the work and money there's no point. You can make just as much power staying fuel injected and then you have all the benefits of a good idle, part throttle driving, MPG, running good in all weather or altitude, you know, all the reasons cars aren't carb'd anymore ha ha.

That other post looked like he was building a track only car to run in a specific class with specific rules. That would be the only reason to switch over to a setup like that.

Switching to a stroker 4.6 like Brenspeed's 5.0 block would give you more displacement (duh, ha ha) which would give you more torque for sure and maybe a little more horsepower too. At some point I'm planning on going with Brenspeeds 5.0 block, then I'll have a built bottom end for more power from the blower.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07black_gt
just to be a lil different, would there be any advantage to going stroker 4.6 or 302 stroker?
Might just be me, but I think going carb would be a giant step backward.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:57 PM
07black_gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by candymanjl
I wouldn't go carb, even besides all the work and money there's no point. You can make just as much power staying fuel injected and then you have all the benefits of a good idle, part throttle driving, MPG, running good in all weather or altitude, you know, all the reasons cars aren't carb'd anymore ha ha.

That other post looked like he was building a track only car to run in a specific class with specific rules. That would be the only reason to switch over to a setup like that.

Switching to a stroker 4.6 like Brenspeed's 5.0 block would give you more displacement (duh, ha ha) which would give you more torque for sure and maybe a little more horsepower too. At some point I'm planning on going with Brenspeeds 5.0 block, then I'll have a built bottom end for more power from the blower.

ah ic stroker short block , how you like the KB ?
Old 01-09-2011, 08:41 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07black_gt
ah ic stroker short block , how you like the KB ?
The KB is a great kit, my only issue was with their tune so I got a Brenspeed tune, so far so good!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:01 PM
5POINTOH
2nd Gear Member

I think if your car is a DD, I would stay FI. If your stang is a show car.......then consider the carb! I think it would be awesome as the V8 carbureted mustangs give you more of the muscle car feel. I saw an S197 mustang at a car show in WA this past summer which had a boss motor in it.

I will see if I can find you the link to a picture of it.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:15 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Other than outright wanting a carb, there is no reason to go back to one. You'll lose efficiency and won't gain any power at all.

I find that many who think they're easier to maintain because they don't have a bunch of electrics have never had to rebuild a carb either. While it's not rocket science, I'd much rather deal with a 'smart' system.

Quick Reply: ? about going carb