Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Axle-Back Exhaust (Muffler-Delete) Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:10 AM
Time2SHO
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ElSuperPinto
It's all of a 30 minute job to swap axlebacks out on these cars if you have a 13mm and 15mm ratcheting wrench, don't even have to jack the car up, so for what it's worth, you could always swap them pretty quickly to go get the car tested and swap them back later that day. (I used to do that with the catted H-pipe on my fox-body for inspection every year.)
I think the last time i was under my car, they were welded on, thats why i was asking. Cause would i have to reweld the new ones on if the ones i currently have on at the moment are? I bought the car with the exhaust already done.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:49 PM
Spdfreak
1st Gear Member

IDK, but I had my SLP's welded on.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:59 PM
ElSuperPinto

Originally Posted by Time2SHO
I think the last time i was under my car, they were welded on, thats why i was asking. Cause would i have to reweld the new ones on if the ones i currently have on at the moment are? I bought the car with the exhaust already done.
Well...

Depending on how well they followed the factory system's original design, you might be able to cut the pipes in the original location, and use an axleback muffler delete kit in it's original slip-fit design, and then purchase two 2.5" inner diameter exhaust couplers from a parts store, and order some band-style exhaust clamps online (so they don't pinch and crush the pipes, leaving them removable) to convert whatever mufflers you have to being a bolt-on. Then you would be able to swap quickly for emissions inspection without a welder.

This assumes a lot though, such as your factory hangers still being there. There's other options too, depending on how much of the factory setup is still under the car.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:44 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I had the Pypes muffler deletes for a year or so, it's a great budget sound mod that's not overwhelming. I have since went back to the stock mufflers, and still open my exhaust cut outs every now and then just for fun...
Old 01-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Time2SHO
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ElSuperPinto
Well...

Depending on how well they followed the factory system's original design, you might be able to cut the pipes in the original location, and use an axleback muffler delete kit in it's original slip-fit design, and then purchase two 2.5" inner diameter exhaust couplers from a parts store, and order some band-style exhaust clamps online (so they don't pinch and crush the pipes, leaving them removable) to convert whatever mufflers you have to being a bolt-on. Then you would be able to swap quickly for emissions inspection without a welder.

This assumes a lot though, such as your factory hangers still being there. There's other options too, depending on how much of the factory setup is still under the car.
Thanks for the advice, now i just have to move the stuff around it in the garage and crawl underneath to double check..
Old 01-18-2011, 04:19 AM
silver bullit

I've gotten many people saying my car sounds really good with just the flowmasters it has. My buddy deleted his mufflers and it became verry raspy. I guess its all in preferance.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 PM
Meissner27

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I had the Pypes muffler deletes for a year or so, it's a great budget sound mod that's not overwhelming. I have since went back to the stock mufflers, and still open my exhaust cut outs every now and then just for fun...
Ive seen a couple of reviews saying that the Pypes Muffler Delete does not fit correctly. Something about hanger adjustments or something, but did you have any problems installing these?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:38 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Meissner27
Ive seen a couple of reviews saying that the Pypes Muffler Delete does not fit correctly. Something about hanger adjustments or something, but did you have any problems installing these?
hell yeah I had issues lol.. they're a POS!

No kidding... I had to get mine fixed at a muffler shop, the hangers were waaay off.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:39 PM
ElSuperPinto

Originally Posted by Meissner27
Mine came with instructions from Pypes stating I might have to grind off the little tab on the factory over-the-axle pipe for them to slip-fit properly.

I put them on in the dark in my driveway (drop light bulb burned out when I had the stock ones most of the way off, I just rolled with it, kept going) and when I got to work the next day, I put it on a lift in a bay on my lunch break and evened them out pretty well. At a glance you don't see it, but if you look, you'll see one of them sticks out further than the other and is slightly down. That was it as far as fitment issues on mine (I ordered the Pype Bomb kit instead of the muffler delete kit with the shorter tips, might have something to do with it, or it could be because of the bumper differences on the 2010 compared to the 05-09, not sure, but they use the same kit.) I decided after looking at it for awhile and fighting with it that I wasn't going to grind off that tab (I want to be able to return the car to stock if I get rid of it.) for that little bit of difference, and just live with it. If anyone's noticed, they haven't said anything.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:11 PM
nem
2nd Gear Member

I have a set of SLP's in excellant condition with about 4k on them for sale. $225.00 shipped if your interested. I just purchased LT's with an O/R H so I know the SLP's will be too loud. Muffler delete and the stock cats, to me has the best sound. I get a lot of compliments on the sound still to this day. A blast to hear in tunnels and over passes!! No need to weld or grind anything with the SLP's. Shoot me a PM if your interested.

Last edited by nem; 01-20-2011 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Axle-Back Exhaust (Muffler-Delete) Reviews