Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Exhaust Install with Jack Stands

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:10 PM
willnapes

Default Exhaust Install with Jack Stands

Hey everyone. Soon I'll be installing the Roush Offroad Exhaust on my 2010 Mustang GT (Roush part# 420025). I do not have jack stands and will need to purchase them. Will I need all 4 wheels off of the ground, or just 2?

Also, does anyone have any input on what the highest quality jack stands, and jacks are? I hear Torin makes good ones.

Last edited by willnapes; 01-24-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Personally, I use and prefer ramps. Although you can get by with just 2, you may have to alternate with the ramps from front to rear. If I recall, though, with my rear on the ramps I was able to reach as far forward as the H-pipe.

The thought of being under a car that's up on 4 jacks scares the heck out of me.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

You don't need to spend a lot on jack stands. Harbor freight specials are fine. If you're doing the midpipe you'll want to get all four wheels off the ground. The higher you get the car, the easier it will be.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Personally, I use and prefer ramps. Although you can get by with just 2, you may have to alternate with the ramps from front to rear. If I recall, though, with my rear on the ramps I was able to reach as far forward as the H-pipe.

The thought of being under a car that's up on 4 jacks scares the heck out of me.
Imagine being under a car on four jack stands that are on four cinderblocks. That's how I did my clutch.

Last edited by Diabolical!; 01-24-2011 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:24 PM
willnapes

Yeah I agree, it seems scary. Which ramps do you use?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

.. imagine doing an entire motor install on jack stands, as well as lining up a torque converter, and lining up the flex-plate bolts... Its a truck too lol

Old 01-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Jackstands on cinder blocks? I'd be sure my life insurance was paid up.

I'm using Rhino Ramps.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:47 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Jackstands on cinder blocks? I'd be sure my life insurance was paid up.

I'm using Rhino Ramps.
Solid as a rock
Old 01-24-2011, 11:43 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
Imagine being under a car on four jack stands that are on four cinderblocks. That's how I did my clutch.
The thought of getting crushed seems scary to me too. Did my long tubes with 4 jack stands with ramps under the tires for peace of mind.

How the **** did you get the stands on top of the blocks?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:25 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Very big jack. Got the back on stands, then got the front on stands. Then got the back up higher and put the blocks under the stands. Then got the front up higher and put the blocks under the front stands. Cinder blocks isn't really the right description. These were solid 10x10x10 concrete cubes, not hollow like a cinderblock. Got them at a landscaping place. Even if the car fell it would have to crush the block before it could crush me, but believe me, it was VERY solid.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Install with Jack Stands