Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Paxton NOVI2200 first impressions, thoughts, and a question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 04:33 PM
5POINTOH
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
For me, even with 4.10s and the Vortech with an automatic- it really wasn't all that great.. but WOW, once I floor it and the kick-down engages.. it's a whole different animal. Yes, with only the 380ish whp I had at the time.

By far, the BEST mod I have done to my Mustang but the other mods compliment it great (4.10s, delete plates, cut outs)

I have decided to keep my kit, and boost the hell out of it!
So it sounds like you are not happy with the Vortech kit at normal driving.....and then when you give the pedal a bit of a kick.....you are then happy?

Maybe with an auto, you are not getting quite the response from the Vortech you would get with a 5 spd manual?
Old 01-31-2011, 04:35 PM
5POINTOH
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
I received a prompt reply from Brenspeed, as expected.

They need my dyno graph to be SAE corrected and not STD. Also, the dyno was measured in mph and not rpm's so I'll need to find a dyno that does that. I also think Brenspeed suspects the same thing I did, I ran that dyno with a normal street tune. I think the car downshifted to third on the runs, and therefore the low numbers. They'll send me a "dyno tune" as soon as I can find a shop that does the diagnostics they need.

I didn't think Brenspeed would provide remote tuning like other online tuning shops. Nothing but topnotch service from those guys. Class act!
Can Brenspeed really provide you with a "dyno tune" even though your car is not physically there with them? I have heard so many good things about them and their tuning, but is this really possible?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:04 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5POINTOH
Maybe with an auto, you are not getting quite the response from the Vortech you would get with a 5 spd manual?
No, I had the same exact kit on my manual 2009 GT. By nature, a centrifugal kit is progressive in power delivery. It wasn't "slow" off the line, it behaved like it had a very hot tune, but at around 3000rpm it would break the tires loose and really haul ***. Its more of a top end type of setup is all.

If you're looking for an instant punch of tire shredding power from a dead stop, a centrifugal kit isn't the right choice. I do believe however, that its easier on the engine and tranny than a roots or twin screw. Brenspeed has also told me they agree with this as well.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

What I meant earlier about a "dyno" tune was just the same tune I currently have, same timings and everything, but with the auto trans set up so that once it reaches 4th, it doesn't shift back to 3rd when you step on it; allowing a more accurate dyno reading. Sorry if I confused anyone.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:14 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5POINTOH
So it sounds like you are not happy with the Vortech kit at normal driving.....and then when you give the pedal a bit of a kick.....you are then happy?

I wouldn't say unhappy.

In D, by nature, the autos RPM will rise and drop with the press of the throttle. With a manual, the RPMs are more responsive and more power gets to the wheels. The auto HAS to kick-down to get that power band kick in order to really accelerate. With the 4.10s, it's nearly instant when I floor it, and going from 0 boost to 8 psi (basically idle to 3k rpm/BOOST!) it takes off like a rocket! Pretty much like a light switch, "on/off", "min/max".. there's no real in-between. Again, this is with the 4.10s. I'd imagine 3.31s or 3.55s would be more of a balance.

But you're right about day to day driving with it on D and just putting around.. you'd wonder where all your power went lol.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

I managed to run the car again in a different dyno shop that measured in rpm's. Almost exact same results; 405rwhp 354rwtq. Same sub 10's A/F readings at the tail. This time around I was trying to get the car to stay in fourth but it was just impossible. It always shifted back into 3rd.
So that means my car has 400freakinrwhp in 3rd gear! I believe that's plenty for me.

I sent the new graphs to Brenspeed. Hopefully he can use those to make any corrections needed to the tuning.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:41 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

91 octane and LTs and still only 400whp?? is it an conservative tune??? Sounds very low to me...
Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 PM
5POINTOH
2nd Gear Member

Those numbers sound more like ones coming from the Paxton non-intercooled kit.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

try check sthe connections? maybe ur intercooler has bad connection? my novi2200 has much higher number than u, but its a manual.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

New numbers are in: 434rwhp 390rwtq using the dynolock tune Brenspeed sent me. Now we're talking! A/F ratio still in the 10's.

I already sent Brenspeed the new graphs. I'll let you know what they can come up with. The ball is in their court now.

Quick Reply: Paxton NOVI2200 first impressions, thoughts, and a question