Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

New b wants to build my 08 gt

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Dalpilot

Default New b wants to build my 08 gt

Hey guys im pretty new to the Mustang world and honestly to the gasser world. Im a diesel guy but I always wanted a Mustang, so i bought an 08 with 22k on it. Im wanting to make it fun for now so im planning a blower on the stock motor and drivetrain. From reading it looks like 500 is pushing the max for stock.

I know me, so 500 will be great for a while, but then Im going to want more, so with that, id like to find a block and start building something bullit proof for later. I have no problems building it mechanically, but i dont know what block, heads etc will work, and what internals seem to be the best to use. Forgive my ignorance, but suggestions would be appreciated. I think 700 would be more than enough for what i want, ive got my Ranger for the track and from what i see, traction is tough anyway. Supporting mods are needed too,i know, and there isnt really a time frame, and my budget is not a huge deal, but I dont want to be stupid either.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2011, 07:45 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

M-6009-A463V is all you need to know. It's a complete Ford Racing short block with forged internals. As for heads you can use stock ones if/when yours goes boom. If you want to build a complete long block then you can get the CNC ported heads from Livernois or Ford Racing.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Dalpilot

Thanks, but say i wanted to piece it together slower, example, buy a block now, buy the crank later, rods, etc..... And slowly build a block from the ground up, more out of fun then anything else, would any 4.6 block work, like out of another year, or truck, or a car?

The complete short block is definitely an option, but im thinking I'd like a slow build in the garage.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

YOu need to make sure you get a block made for the 3 valve heads.

Some suggestions for internals would be JE Diamond pistons, Kellogg crank and Manley H beam rods. If you feel the need to build your own and you are going to get head work done, think about the big bore block. It's basically the same block with bigger bores for the pistons. More displacement, bigger heads and a bigger blower could get 1000 rwhp not easily but with some work.

Make sure you choose a blower to get you to where you want to be power wise. Some of the smaller blowers will get to the power levels you talk of, but will suffer from high heat and belt slip. Look at the KB 2.8h, Whipple 3.4 and 4.0.

Good luck.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:53 PM
Dalpilot

Thanks thats what i was looking for. So any block that will fit 3v heads will do? I have a great machine shop locally that builds all my race motors that can do all the machine work on heads or the block. i appreciate the help.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:06 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Might consider a stroker crank too.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:30 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
YOu need to make sure you get a block made for the 3 valve heads.

Good luck.
The 4.6L blocks are all the same architecture (build materials differ) It's the pistons that make it fit 2v,4v, or 3v.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I thought there was some difference in oil and coolant passages.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Dalpilot

I picked up a set of 05 heads sans cams. Time to get started I guess. Its a sickness!
Old 02-04-2011, 12:14 PM
cstich08

Just out of curiosity, if youre gonna go through the process of a complete engine swap wouldn't an aluminum block be a good upgrade? Seems to me like you might as well go for it and shave that weight off the front end.

Quick Reply: New b wants to build my 08 gt