MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L V8 Technical Discussions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions-69/)
-   -   mpg question..(1) = pump reg octain (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/631216-mpg-question-1-pump-reg-octain.html)

GT Nate 02-13-2018 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Bmr4life (Post 8614922)
Please look at the age of a thread before replying. Also, everyone knows E85 doesn't help MPGs and is worth running if you want those power gains especially with FIs.

What are you, the Law? I know the age of the thread...thanks. Was doing a search to see what other's MPG's are compared to mine.

My 2010 won't run E85 and I try not to run any ethanol at all since it's just a water introducing source to your metal internals.

danzcool 02-14-2018 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by GT Nate (Post 8614954)
What are you, the Law? I know the age of the thread...thanks. Was doing a search to see what other's MPG's are compared to mine.

My 2010 won't run E85 and I try not to run any ethanol at all since it's just a water introducing source to your metal internals.

For a daily driver/naturally aspirated, yeah, you're better off without any ethanol. For boosted applications & high compression engines, there is something to be said for ethanol content. It's a less dense fuel so it takes more volume t create the same energy, which means it has a greater cooling effect on the charge air, reducing chances of detonation or pre-ignition, allowing higher fueling rates, more timing, and more boost... which equals more horsepower.

Last I checked I was getting 13 smiles/gallon average @16 PSI & 750 RWHP with 91 octane (with up to 10% ethanol).

Your 2010 could run E85, all you would need to do would be to upgrade the injectors to a higher flow rate, replace the fuel lines, get an E85 tune and add a boost-a-pump. You would of course lose about 25%-30% of your MPG.

GT Nate 02-14-2018 06:16 AM

Yeah, this is my DD, and I get 22 mpg tops...so 13 mpg wouldn't cut it.
Nice HP though!

audioAl 02-14-2018 06:17 AM

^ What he said, I use 89 & 93 sometimes to "Blow out the exhaust" like my Dad did in his 65 Galaxie 500 w/dual exhaust. Lol!

Buck Sergeant 02-14-2018 11:10 AM

mpg question..(1) = pump reg octain

talldude, NUKE is right on the money. But, NUKE left out one valuable piece of information. Good gas mileage begins with proper control of a heave right foot. Believe me, I'm pushing 450 RWHP out of my 2014 GT and I watch the fuel gage drop like a rock every time I even think of destroying a "rice burner." My GT has never seen anything but E-free 93, and I knew this going into cloud 9 when I bought the vehicle. This is not the vehicle to be looking for great gas mileage with. Other than that, install a set of 2.87 rear gears and never look back.

GT Nate 02-14-2018 02:19 PM

yeah, fill up get to work, it's between 3/4 and full. Next day 3/4, next day 1/2 next day 1/4
Darn low fuel light goes on with 50 miles left to go.

but it's so much fun to drive!