Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Thank god for the forums lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:17 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Talking Thank god for the forums lol

Wow, never thought forum knowledge would ever come in handy.. sitting through engine performance class and the info is pretty basic, but very outdated.. two lobe rotors, old fashioned cooling systems, and the old bypass valves without mention of blow off valves.

I wanted to say something about there being 4 lobe rotors, and some other up to date info but it was too entertaining listening to the regurgatation of old news..

"all turbos lag", "turbos are better for top end, but bad for low end", "superchargers are bad for top end but great for low end" etc.

People didn't even know the difference between a bypass and blow off valve lulz

I have a Vortech with 4.10s/automatic that would surprise the hell out of them! rofl It defies everything "fast" should be.. heavy, automatic, "belt driven turbo"...
Old 02-17-2011, 07:44 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I took auto shop class back in HS when I knew nothing about motors, tuning, etc. After spending years reading books, forums, and working on things myself, I came to the realization that most of what I learned in auto shop was either wrong, or very outdated.

The notion that all turbos lag is very very old-school. Our BMW makes peak torque starting at around 1500 rpm. No lag there .
Old 02-17-2011, 08:14 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

You can't really blame the class or the system for not knowing a ton about forced induction.. they're there to help us "fix" cars, not so much make them go faster lol

Yeah, I felt like saying more in class but it was more funny to listen to what everyone else knew on the matter. I didn't want to sound like a know it all, even though I knew more than most of the people talking about it lulz We're all there to learn, but I am not the teacher

I'll just see them at the drag strip this summer...