Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Kenne Bell 2.6 Stage II install and POS plugs

Old 03-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I have 4.10s and with street tires first gear is nearly worthless and the car has significant spin in 2nd gear as well. This is at around 5000-6000' DA so the car would probably be even worse at sea level.

Lots of people run 4.10s and a twin screw with no problem you just need to get the suspension setup, put some good drag radials or a slick on there, and learn how to launch the car all over again.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:42 PM
maxdmax

Originally Posted by 808muscle
I use MT ET streets mounted on stock 17`rims at the track. They stick like glue.
I think the origional rims are 17' so we can mount he ET Streets on these, i don't remember for sure but I think the stock rims were 9.5" wide. Do you know how wide you can go with these on the stock rims?

Originally Posted by Riptide
I have 4.10s and with street tires first gear is nearly worthless and the car has significant spin in 2nd gear as well. This is at around 5000-6000' DA so the car would probably be even worse at sea level.

Lots of people run 4.10s and a twin screw with no problem you just need to get the suspension setup, put some good drag radials or a slick on there, and learn how to launch the car all over again.
Yep, this is what I thought.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:03 PM
maxdmax

Just found my cable to my camera. Below are some pics of what the plugs looked like and what had to happen to get them out. You need some pretty good mechanical skills but really once you assemble everything you need all the tools, a really strong vacume, air pressure and everything else it is not risky at all to do. Just takes some time.

Here are all the plugs after I got them all out

Here are a couple of closer views.

Here is one tapped after I pushed the porcelain down to have room for 5 threads. I had to do 7 of these and pull them with the puller!

Last edited by maxdmax; 03-06-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
I think it's Simon on here who has a KB kit and claims he has to change his literally every 3000 miles or so.
So here what I do for plugs, first I run the HTO's. I do not have any experience with the Brisk plugs. I gap mine to where .034 is snug and call it good. Everytime I change my oil, which is twice a year and everytime I go to the track I check the plugs. If I ever have detonation, which I haven't had since the KB, or get a miss, which I have had a few bad plugs, then I change the plugs. I generally keep a complete set gapped with anti-sieze in the track bag for when I need to replace them. I replace my plugs one time per year no matter what.

Originally Posted by maxdmax
I just notice in your signature you have the 4:10 gears. How is this working for you with the added HP and torque? My Son's car has Nitto 555s (not 555Rs like I have on my car) and the 4:10 was great on the stock car's HP, just wondering if it will be too much gear to get hooked up with the additional power. We are thinking about some Mickey Thompson ET Street IIs D/Rs for when we go to the track on the stock rims.

Thanks
At the HP level your sons car will be making he would be wise to get some DR's. 275/45/17 will fit nicely. However, they shall not be driven in any wet condition and you will need to start looking for a clutch. Don't buy anything but a Mcleod RST.

I think the origional rims are 17' so we can mount he ET Streets on these, i don't remember for sure but I think the stock rims were 9.5" wide. Do you know how wide you can go with these on the stock rims?
As far as other advice. Keep an eye on your air inlet temps while on the dyno. If they start getting to high you may get a different heat exchanger or a lrger resevoir tank. I made my own for a track oriented application, but there is others much smaller that will make a huge difference an IATs. The Stage 2 kit made 10 psi on my car and it was tuned to 475hp/450tq. This was only 17.5 degrees of timing through JBA shorty, equal length headers. Stocks cams/heads/comp springs. Those numbers are pretty normal for the stage 2 kit.

The 2.6 blows plenty of air at 10 psi to pop the stock motor. It should be able to be tuned for up to 500 rwhp with a little more aggressive tune. Just a few degrees of timing probably would have put me there too. I'm suppose to drive around on that tune but I lost the pulley tool have beenrunning the 15 psi pulley almost exclusively. Don't worry about hitting your power goal with the stock motor. If you can't get close to 475rwhp, then your tuner doesn't know what he is doing. Just because your tuner tunes GM, Dodge or other mustangs or Ford products, doesn't mean he can tune the S197. It's not easy and a really knowledgable tuner is hard to come by.

If your belts start shredding, your power steering pulley needs to be aligned. Don't buy anything fancy, just a get a string and use it to see how it lines up with the crank. It will either make a noise or throw/shred belts. Go to the auto part store and rent a puller. Took about 30 minutes to cure the whine I had.

At 15 psi I make over 500 tq to the wheels from WOT to red line and peak out at 540 rwhp. This is with a conservative tune at 16.5 degrees.

April 2 I am going back on the dyno with 100 oct and pushing it to close to 600rwhp.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Make sure you put anti sieze on the plugs. Just a little and it will keep them from sticking like that.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Make sure you put anti sieze on the plugs. Just a little and it will keep them from sticking like that.
+1. On the shield, not the thread.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:15 PM
maxdmax

So here what I do for plugs, first I run the HTO's. I do not have any experience with the Brisk plugs. I gap mine to where .034 is snug and call it good. Everytime I change my oil, which is twice a year and everytime I go to the track I check the plugs. If I ever have detonation, which I haven't had since the KB, or get a miss, which I have had a few bad plugs, then I change the plugs. I generally keep a complete set gapped with anti-sieze in the track bag for when I need to replace them. I replace my plugs one time per year no matter what.

At the HP level your sons car will be making he would be wise to get some DR's. 275/45/17 will fit nicely. However, they shall not be driven in any wet condition and you will need to start looking for a clutch. Don't buy anything but a Mcleod RST.
I hear you on the D/R I run MT ET Street IIs on my Car on 18" rims at the track and run Nitto 555Rs on the stock 20" rims for daily driving. The Nittos are good on the wet road, but the MTs are dangerous.

As far as other advice. Keep an eye on your air inlet temps while on the dyno. If they start getting to high you may get a different heat exchanger or a lrger resevoir tank. I made my own for a track oriented application, but there is others much smaller that will make a huge difference an IATs. The Stage 2 kit made 10 psi on my car and it was tuned to 475hp/450tq. This was only 17.5 degrees of timing through JBA shorty, equal length headers. Stocks cams/heads/comp springs. Those numbers are pretty normal for the stage 2 kit.

The 2.6 blows plenty of air at 10 psi to pop the stock motor. It should be able to be tuned for up to 500 rwhp with a little more aggressive tune. Just a few degrees of timing probably would have put me there too. I'm suppose to drive around on that tune but I lost the pulley tool have beenrunning the 15 psi pulley almost exclusively. Don't worry about hitting your power goal with the stock motor. If you can't get close to 475rwhp, then your tuner doesn't know what he is doing. Just because your tuner tunes GM, Dodge or other mustangs or Ford products, doesn't mean he can tune the S197. It's not easy and a really knowledgable tuner is hard to come by.
This is my Sons car and it still has a stock bottom end so I plan on a conservative tune more than peak power at this point. Got a lot of faith in my tuner, I hope he does not read this since I am trying to keep on the really conservative side on this one. LOL

If your belts start shredding, your power steering pulley needs to be aligned. Don't buy anything fancy, just a get a string and use it to see how it lines up with the crank. It will either make a noise or throw/shred belts. Go to the auto part store and rent a puller. Took about 30 minutes to cure the whine I had.

At 15 psi I make over 500 tq to the wheels from WOT to red line and peak out at 540 rwhp. This is with a conservative tune at 16.5 degrees.

April 2 I am going back on the dyno with 100 oct and pushing it to close to 600rwhp.
With a few miles everything seems to be tracking good. We will keep a watch on this though. Again with the stock bottem end I want to stay below 10 PSI.

Good luck 600 rwhp should get you in the 10s by looking at your signature.

Did that, I got some 2400 degree anti-sieze from a friend and just put a small amout on each plug around just the lower shield and torqued them to 24ft lbs.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:24 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
+1. On the shield, not the thread.
FAIL! That's what the anti-seize is for, the threads.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Good luck 600 rwhp should get you in the 10s by looking at your signature.

Did that, I got some 2400 degree anti-sieze from a friend and just put a small amout on each plug around just the lower shield and torqued them to 24ft lbs.
It doesn't take much and I know what Diabolical! was refferring to. He is right to put a little on the shank but the threads need it also. The carbon builds up on the plugs shank and freezes the plugs into the head which is what you experienced. I never have left my plugs in long enough for that to be an issue and my motor runs extremely clean. There is one cylinder that has some carbon build up after a year, but it's more staining than build up.

I have the power to get me into the 10's as it sits. The track I race at is consitantly 2 mph and .2-3 slower than a track a few hours away. SHould I put a real set of race wheels and tires on I would be into the 10's for sure.

I would like to make a 10 second pass and get a picture of the front wheels off of the ground by the end of the year.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

FAIL! That's what the anti-seize is for, the threads.
Ordinarily, yes, but it isn't the threads that seize on our plugs. It's the shield. You might consider it a FAIL!, but you don't need anti-seize on your spark plug threads.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kenne Bell 2.6 Stage II install and POS plugs