Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Kenne Bell 2.6 Stage II install and POS plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:26 AM
maxdmax

Default Kenne Bell 2.6 Stage II install and POS plugs

My builders at KY Speed just finished up the install of a Kenne Bell 2.6 Stage II supercharger on my Son's 2005 GT. Everything went great on the supercharger install. I took it for a tune late last week and about half way through the process we had issues with detonation above 4,000 rpms so we decided we needed new plugs with less of a gap a step colder. Started to take them out and none of them would budge, we looked on the internet and found all the stories about the broken spark plug issues on these motors so I brought the car home and soaked them for 24 hours with sea foam. Still only one plug came out normally, we soaked them with carb cleaner for another day and still the rest had issues. I ended up having to break them, tap them and extract them with a special puller tool. Once I understood what I needed to do I got them out without any issues or fears of stuff getting in the cylinder’s at all. Just lost a lot of hours on my life doing this, but now I see it as no big deal, just got to take the time and do it right. I am now known as the Spark Plug Kking around here LOL. Got a new set of Brisk plugs installed in the car which are one step colder and it run great, so the tune is already very close. We are going back to the tuner on Monday to finish up the tune and see what this puppy will put down on the dyno to the wheels. With headers we are looking for about 9 lbs. of boost. We have done tons of Chevys but not many Fords so do you experienced guys have any guess on the HP and torque we should see? The car has headers, Corsa exhaust and an X-pipe, the Kenne Bell boost-a-pump and the Stage II SC with 410 gears. Do you have any words of caution or other things we should look out for? Any good feedback would be helpful.

Below are some of the build pictures.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The factory KB tune was detonating above 4000rpm? Wonder what KB would say about that since they consider their tunes to be pretty much perfect.

Also running brisks with my stage 1 setup. I'll be curious to see what type of whp numbers you get on the dyno with yours.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:09 AM
maxdmax

Originally Posted by Riptide
The factory KB tune was detonating above 4000rpm? Wonder what KB would say about that since they consider their tunes to be pretty much perfect.

Also running brisks with my stage 1 setup. I'll be curious to see what type of whp numbers you get on the dyno with yours.
Maybe their tune was OK. The old plugs were the issues, they had opened up to close to 60 to 65 with 50,000 miles on them. Once we gapped the plugs to 32 and changed them the car ran fine (with my tuners tune in the car) We knew we were going to change them, but my Tuner wanted to get it close before we replaced them. Kenne Bell did not seem to feel good about their canned tune with the headers but did modify it for us. I am going to try to challenge my Tuner to compare his tune with the Kenne Bell tune. I know he is very good at what he does so I think he will do it. Maybe I can get his comments of the differences and what he thinks about the KB tune.

What other mods do you have and what kind of numbers are you doing with your car?

Here is a cold start up video of my Son's car before we got the plugs changed.

Last edited by maxdmax; 03-06-2011 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about the plugs being such a pain. The brisks are a one piece so they shouldn't be a problem if they are even in there long enough to start getting stuck which I doubt.

Doesn't surprise me KB wasn't real thrilled about tuning remotely for those headers. They usually tell you a custom tune is required for that which is going to happen in this case anyway.

Wish I had numbers to give you. Haven't had it on the dyno yet and there is only one of those in town here that I know of. Maybe this summer. The guy who had this kit before me (stage 1) hit 440whp peak on a mobile dyno with the KB tune on a hot summer day. Had 20" wheels on the car and 3.73 gears.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:27 AM
maxdmax

Sorry to hear about the plugs being such a pain. The brisks are a one piece so they shouldn't be a problem if they are even in there long enough to start getting stuck which I doubt.

Doesn't surprise me KB wasn't real thrilled about tuning remotely for those headers. They usually tell you a custom tune is required for that which is going to happen in this case anyway.

Wish I had numbers to give you. Haven't had it on the dyno yet and there is only one of those in town here that I know of. Maybe this summer. The guy who had this kit before me (stage 1) hit 440whp peak on a mobile dyno with the KB tune on a hot summer day. Had 20" wheels on the car and 3.73 gears.
My Son's car is a 5 speed manual has 20s, a 410 gear, headers and a 3 7/8 pully so we are thinking we should see around 9 lbs of boost (just a guess). I really do not know what to expect, my butt dyno says 450 or better, but until my Tuner gets a chance to finish up and we get a clear to run the car hard we won't know. How long have you heard the Brisk plugs last I have anywhere from 20,000 miles to 50,000 miles?

What other mods does yoiur friend have?

Last edited by maxdmax; 03-06-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The brisk plugs that are in there right now have around 2000 miles on them. I'm not really sure why but for whatever reason it seems like people are changing plugs a lot on these mustangs when they are supercharged. I think it's Simon on here who has a KB kit and claims he has to change his literally every 3000 miles or so. I can't speak to that because I haven't had mine long enough yet to know whether my car will go through plugs that often. I am hoping not especially since the compressor might have to come off to get the plug that is at the rear passenger side. We'll see though, should have about 3000 or more on there by the end of this summer.

Regarding the mods that were on the car that hit 440whp with this kit it was stock engine 100% (cams, intake, exhaust) and had just the aftermarket 3.73 gears. That was it. Stock KB stage 1 tune.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:09 AM
maxdmax

The brisk plugs that are in there right now have around 2000 miles on them. I'm not really sure why but for whatever reason it seems like people are changing plugs a lot on these mustangs when they are supercharged. I think it's Simon on here who has a KB kit and claims he has to change his literally every 3000 miles or so. I can't speak to that because I haven't had mine long enough yet to know whether my car will go through plugs that often. I am hoping not especially since the compressor might have to come off to get the plug that is at the rear passenger side. We'll see though, should have about 3000 or more on there by the end of this summer.

Regarding the mods that were on the car that hit 440whp with this kit it was stock engine 100% (cams, intake, exhaust) and had just the aftermarket 3.73 gears. That was it. Stock KB stage 1 tune.
OH Man....... that is not good news, please keep me posted on your car. I have driven my car over 12,000 miles since I added the Maggie last spring, he doesen't drive his car as much as me, but he does drive it pretty often though. I hope they last longer than 3k, at $150 plus for these puppies me Son will by doing a lot of work to cover this!

FWIW on my Son's car all you have to do is remove the throttle body and you can get to all the plugs fine.

Thanks again for the info, I pinged Simon1 on this as well
Old 03-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to remember and let you know what happens with my plugs. I was also not exactly thrilled to hear about that issue. At a whole new set every 3000 miles it's gonna get spendy. Pay to play I guess. Better than a blown engine lol
Old 03-06-2011, 11:39 AM
maxdmax

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to remember and let you know what happens with my plugs. I was also not exactly thrilled to hear about that issue. At a whole new set every 3000 miles it's gonna get spendy. Pay to play I guess. Better than a blown engine lol
I just notice in your signature you have the 4:10 gears. How is this working for you with the added HP and torque? My Son's car has Nitto 555s (not 555Rs like I have on my car) and the 4:10 was great on the stock car's HP, just wondering if it will be too much gear to get hooked up with the additional power. We are thinking about some Mickey Thompson ET Street IIs D/Rs for when we go to the track on the stock rims.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2011, 12:22 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I use MT ET streets mounted on stock 17`rims at the track. They stick like glue.

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell 2.6 Stage II install and POS plugs