Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

DR's or power through the 1/4??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 02:13 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default DR's or power through the 1/4??

I want to get some DR's but the shipping is a killer. I may or may not be able to get a discount shopping around, but it may still be in the $300-350 area.

I planned on getting some MT drag radials on 17x8 rims for about $1000 from Brenspeed (shipping included), OR use that money on Cams and the FRPP intake manifold.

It should add a good 40-50whp on top of my intercooler and smaller pulley. I will de-tune it to keep it hovering around 450-460whp, but can easily creep it up to 480-490 (not gonna push my luck on my 2nd motor lulz)

I may not be able to ET as good, but I will have a killer trap speed at least which will still make me happy since it's more of a measure of how much speed I am building as opposed to how much I am hooking (ie: trapping 118-120mph with a mid 12 ET)

What do guys think?? Get some DR's or just power through the 1/4??

Mods are:
Vortech intercooled/10 psi
FRPP 4:10s
JBA high heat coated shorty headers
dual 3 inch cut outs
economy delete plates
Brenspeed tune

Possible add ons:
Brenspeed supercharger grind cams
FRPP intake manifold
lower control arms
steeda upgraded belt tensioner
180 thermostat

PS

does anyone have experience with the 160 Degree thermostat upgrade??
Old 03-07-2011, 06:28 AM
maxdmax

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I want to get some DR's but the shipping is a killer. I may or may not be able to get a discount shopping around, but it may still be in the $300-350 area.

I planned on getting some MT drag radials on 17x8 rims for about $1000 from Brenspeed (shipping included), OR use that money on Cams and the FRPP intake manifold.

It should add a good 40-50whp on top of my intercooler and smaller pulley. I will de-tune it to keep it hovering around 450-460whp, but can easily creep it up to 480-490 (not gonna push my luck on my 2nd motor lulz)

I may not be able to ET as good, but I will have a killer trap speed at least which will still make me happy since it's more of a measure of how much speed I am building as opposed to how much I am hooking (ie: trapping 118-120mph with a mid 12 ET)

What do guys think?? Get some DR's or just power through the 1/4??
With you setup you need D/Rs period. The Mickey Thompson ET Street IIs are great, but I hate them on any kind of wet road. I run Nitto 555Rs for daily driving, they are OK, but nothing like the MTs. Your trap speed should go down a little, but you ET should improve a lot. When I went from street tires to the MTs I lowered my 60' times by .3 seconds and picked up almost a half a second overall. Your car is lighter and should only improve more. Just be sure your drivetrain is ready for the shock.

RTCTTFMF

Mods are:
Vortech intercooled/10 psi
FRPP 4:10s
JBA high heat coated shorty headers
dual 3 inch cut outs
economy delete plates
Brenspeed tune

Possible add ons:
Brenspeed supercharger grind cams
FRPP intake manifold
lower control arms
steeda upgraded belt tensioner
180 thermostat

PS

does anyone have experience with the 160 Degree thermostat upgrade??
There are pros and cons to this, a colder engine has more friction and can wear more. A lower theromastat will help your car cool quicker when hot. I read up a lot on this and since I drive my car a lot I am keeping mine at a stock level. If you do it be sure you tune your fan to match the theromastat. If not your fan will kick off at the normal temp and it may or may not cool down to the level you want on a hot day.

Last edited by maxdmax; 03-07-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I used to run a stock 17" rim with Mickey Thompson bias ply ET Streets (26x11.5x17). They hooked like a bat out of hell and I pulled several 1.6xx 60' times with them, but I was running stock radials on the front and the car felt VERY squirrely toward the end of the run. When I bought my new drag wheel/tire setup, I decided I valued safety over ETs. I went with a 15x8" rear wheel with MT ET Street DRs (275/60/15) and a 15.3.75" front wheel with MT Radial Sportsman s/r pros (26x6x15). Not only is this setup much safer, but I think with a bit more seat time I'll be beating the 60' times I got with the bias ply tires.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Drag radials. Do a little suspension work if you haven't already. Then go launch that bitch until something breaks.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:56 AM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

get the power mods! a friend of mine pushing 471whp/431wtq ran 11.9 @ 120 this weekend on street tires 295/30/20 toyo proxes 4.

heres a vid of 12.1 @ 119
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtLMVtAywJk
Old 03-07-2011, 12:29 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback guys

No doubt the DRs will help my ETs, and I did also have some concern about traction of the front tires at the end of the track. I also considered the race star rims with both the backs and fronts (skinnies). $1000 is a nice chunk of change for tires/rkms.. I can't help but think I could get them through a different shop for at least $300-400 cheaper...

that 1/2 second off the 1/4 mile sure is tempting though.. wow!

I may or may not run the thermostat, but will definetly get a tune for it if I do.. that intercooler should help out with temps tremendously..
Old 03-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

If you have any of the trie places near you they will generally price match. Bring in a quote to them and see what they say. You will get more ET from tires than anything else.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:47 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Ditto.. whats the point of more power when I am not really hooking as good as it should. Even if it's all top end, it sucks spinning all the way to 80 rofl

Damn it.. living way up here in AK and it's damn shipping! Everything costs and arm and a leg just about..

What do you all think about getting some very fat street tires in the rear, rather than DRs?? That way, I can both hook on and off the track...
Old 03-08-2011, 02:58 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I know your pain dude. On Maui, we get hosed on shipping too. First place an ad in craigslist for a set of stock 17` mustang rims. Doesnt matter if their from the previous model......mine are. You should be able to pick those up for $100 or less. Then order the tires from brenspeed. This is what I did. The tires themselves arent heavy at all and shipping wont be near as bad as shipping with rims. I only use the tires at the track. No way would I drive them on the street, we get tradewind showers all the time and the track is 30 miles from my house.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Ditto.. whats the point of more power when I am not really hooking as good as it should. Even if it's all top end, it sucks spinning all the way to 80 rofl

Damn it.. living way up here in AK and it's damn shipping! Everything costs and arm and a leg just about..

What do you all think about getting some very fat street tires in the rear, rather than DRs?? That way, I can both hook on and off the track...
Not going to work. My street tires are 28x12x15 Mickey Thompson Sportsmans. You can't fit a bigger street tire on there without tubbing and they don't hook worth a crap. You need something sticky.

Quick Reply: DR's or power through the 1/4??