Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!
View Poll Results: What cams (and give me an idea why in the post)
BBR Billet
0%
Detroit Rockers blower grind
100.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Time for Cams BBR or Detroit Rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 03:09 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Default Time for Cams BBR or Detroit Rockers?

i am ready to order up some cams for my m90 10 GT. i have used the search button (though its possible i might have missed a thread) and googled the shat out of it. I can't find what i really want to read to decide between the BBR and blower grind DRs. Can you guys running these cams help me decide and tell me what you got before and after the install whp wise?

i understand the BBR cams are a bit more aggressive but they don't have a blower specific grind. the DRs do so i am leaning towards those. anyway, the lift and duration number mean nothing to me, i wanted dto hear from the guys running the cams. i find little on the BBR cams other than "i like mine, don't buy the regrinds" it seems both BBR and DRs are good fro about 30whp and the sound is all over the place, i hear them lope in some vids and others you cant tell they are cammed. i assume this is something with the idle. i will be doing LTs and a catted X at the same time and getting a dyno tune. Car is at 420whp and 408tq now, i am hoping for 460whp-480whp when all is said and done.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I have the regualr dr cams with a saleen 475 kit and im putting down 438hp to the wheels
Old 03-10-2011, 10:19 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

460/480? You'll most likely need Long tubes and a 12% over drive crank pulley..

http://www.fnsweet.com/forums/05-09-...57-pulley.html

Interesting read...
Old 03-11-2011, 12:41 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
460/480? You'll most likely need Long tubes and a 12% over drive crank pulley..

http://www.fnsweet.com/forums/05-09-...57-pulley.html

Interesting read...
teh car is at 420 now, 460is only 40whp difference. they claim 30whp from teh cams alone and most of the dyno sheets i have seen prove that on the DRs. i woudl think LTs shoudl be good for another 10whp. You really think 40whp out of cams and LTs is asking to much?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:32 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I hear the M90 gets pegged on power at around 450whp, and thats with LTs, CAMs and either 500hp kits that are on the market. A few of the folks over at FNSweet are making 460-470ish whp but that's with Meth injection...

honestly, if I could get that type of power (450whp) on shorty headers, cams and a 90 octane tune, I'd be happy lol

I think you'll get a nice boost in power with LTs and cams no doubt...
Old 03-13-2011, 12:14 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

well after much back and forth on what cams to get i ended up ordering the DR blower grind cams. i love the sound of the DRs and just about every video i saw the DRs had lope and the power gains between the BBR and Drs is almost even on the dyno sheets i ran across. the BBr cams in many vids had little to no lope and i ran across a comment by BBr on one video that said you had to use the phase limiters to get the hard lope that their 10 test car had. that sealed the deal for me. i hope that with brenspeed not offering specs on the cam that doesnt make them harder for the installer to dyno tune them. i assume it won't. Anyhow, i am hoping if they are off back order to get it all installed next month sometime.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:58 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Congrats on the cams
Old 03-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

congrats on the cams.......I'm seeing more and more setups with the M90 and cams rather than just a big blower may have to look into this setup, even with the 500hp kit the M90 is about 400 bucks cheaper than the TVS or Saleen. At any rate I will be very interested in hearing your results as Cams are something I want to do as well, they were going to be my next mod before the SC became real for me.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:49 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Good choice Shane. I think you will be happy with the D rockers. Whose gonna do the tune? Glad to see your doing LTs at the same time. Dude you car is gonna be really loud now. Get ready!! LOL
Old 03-13-2011, 03:07 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Hell yeah.. those LTs and CAMs are really gonna let that M90 breath on the top end

Quick Reply: Time for Cams BBR or Detroit Rockers?