Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

underwhelmed by my tuner/CAI

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 PM
08droptop
2nd Gear Member

I also am disappointed in mine, I added a JLT intake w/Brenspeed tune last summer. I also use the 91 octane tune, since I can't get 93 around here. Mine is an 08' manual, and although there was a little difference, it was nothing like I was hoping for. I did complain, and was told that the JLT intake I got was a little too big for my car, and also that the tune doesn't make as much of a difference with a 5 speed. I asked them those questions before I got the tune, and none of this was told to me of course. There was no offer to send a new tune or do anything for me, just that information. I am still disappointed with it.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:19 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08droptop
There was no offer to send a new tune or do anything for me, just that information. I am still disappointed with it.
Instead of being disappointed, you could of talked it out with Brenspeed aside from the info given you. I'm sure they would of been more than happy to help you figure out what you want IF you HAD pursued it further.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

This thread definitely shows how opinions differ and everything is subjective. Very often, we get people calling and complaining telling us to tone down the Street tune or Performance tune, and here we have people not happy until their running the race tune.

You can also see that people are having the same results with other vendors. It's all a matter of opinion as to what a "big difference" is. Manual cars have the instantaneous throttle response, but the only time that you really feel the horsepower/torque is when you're mid-throttle or more. That's why Auto guys swear by it is because not only do they get that mid-full throttle performance, they also get part throttle shifting and other driveability quirks fixed so they often say they "feel" it more.

Point blank, no matter what tune your running from us, a CAI/Tuner combo from Bama is going to get you 25-35 RWHP on 91-93 octane depending on dyno/transmission/climate/etc.

For every "ehh, its okay" post, there's 30 "holy @#%!" posts.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Stetler17

Very good points.

I'm usually the guy that expects more than I actually get, and coming from a circle track racing background where 800+ horsepower in a light weight car is common, I could not believe that I was one of the "holy $#!^" customers...with a manual none the less.

Maybe it has more to do with a customers background of performance cars and mods than anything. If you've felt the seat of the pants difference of about any performance part available over the years, you may have a better perspective going in to the purchase of a CAI/Tuner combo. I certainly didn't expect it to feel like FI was added..and it doesn't. My holy $#!^ reaction was based on what I thought a tune could actually do, and it far exceeded my expectations.

Just a thought.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:08 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
and here we have people not happy until their running the race tune.
Guilty. Can´t imagine going different just to save 2mpg. Manual here, and it´s an insane difference.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
...Point blank, no matter what tune your running from us, a CAI/Tuner combo from Bama is going to get you 25-35 RWHP on 91-93 octane depending on dyno/transmission/climate/etc...
Chris, can you clarify this? It's my understanding that the 4.6L will see about 20-25 RWHP with a good CAI & tune, perhaps a few more, tops, and that the 5.0L is realizing 25-35 RWHP or so.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:17 PM
08droptop
2nd Gear Member

I DID talk to Brenspeed a few times, both over the phone and through email a few times. I also called prior to buying the set up to check it out and have all my questions answered. Once I put it on, I didn't think there was much of a difference, so I CALLED AND EMAILED them. They told me that the 110 intake was a little too big for the car (I asked about this prior to buying it and was told it was a great intake for the car) and that the tune doesn't do as much for a manual as an auto. I explained that I wasn't totally satisfied with it, and was told those things and that was all that could be done. SO, I did what I could, and I'm still disappointed. I wasn't expecting supercharger power, but I was expecting a little more kick than I got, which was very little. I am VERY happy with the looks of the intake, and that's about it.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:14 PM
poopile
1st Gear Member

Another way to look at it is if you ever plan on doing just about any performance mod, you would have to buy a tuner at some point. I plan on doing at least a gear swap and probably headers and cams eventually. Now I have my tuner and free lifetime tunes, so I'm set and have that out of the way.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Chris, can you clarify this? It's my understanding that the 4.6L will see about 20-25 RWHP with a good CAI & tune, perhaps a few more, tops, and that the 5.0L is realizing 25-35 RWHP or so.
We're seeing like 255-265RWHP on a typical 3V stock and then 285-295ish RWHP afterwards. All depends on Auto or manual, but either way it's about 30RWHP with intake and tune. Just a tune is about 18-22RWHP. 93 octane numbers...

On the 5.0L, the gains are much higher throughout the curve, and only slightly higher peak. This is all 93 octane.

Chris