Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

underwhelmed by my tuner/CAI

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:07 PM
poopile
1st Gear Member

Default underwhelmed by my tuner/CAI

I was really excited and looking forward to the arrival of my FRPP CAI and Bama tuner. They came in on Thursday. I installed them and went for a drive and was disappointed. I understand that 20 horses is not much, but I was looking forward to the throttle response and overall feel of the car being better but I'm not feeling it. I installed the performance 91 tune because we don't have 93 available. I was under the impression that I would get a race 91 tune also, but I didn't. I'll admit I haven't had a chance to get on it hard from a dead stop, but I've hit it from 2nd and went hard through the gears quite a bit. I don't know what I expect to gain from this post and I'm NOT hammering on the company, just wondering what I'm missing I guess.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:14 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

If I'm not mistaken the FRPP CAI is only 85mm where are most aftermarkets ones are 95mm, also the FRPP unit has diffusers in the intake tube and aftermarkets do not. So you're missing air flow, the FRPP unit is designed for safe HP increases and quiet performance.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:17 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

The performance tune's sweet spot is above 3500 RPMs. You will not notice too much down low.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Bigorangek9
1st Gear Member

My manual stang was the same way, but I did notice better throttle response & better fuel economy. But the race tune is awsome!! Even with the manual, it made a BIG difference!
Old 03-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you drive granny style you won't notice much difference. The higher octane tunes tend to spin-up and gain more in the upper RPM bands so if you're not WOT to redline then you may not notice the bulk of the gains. I always recommend a VERY SPIRITED drive immediately before the install and then repeating that drive immediately after the install.

After my install, I had trouble hooking up from a dig. Also when I drop from 5th to 3rd at 65 MPH and hammer it, it's about all I can do to keep the back end from wanting to come around.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:07 AM
poopile
1st Gear Member

Understood Nuke. Maybe I'm just not pounding on my car like I should. The last muscle car I had was around 92'. I think 17 years of driving pick-ups and SUV's has made my right foot numb...

ETA: I have an email in to AM about the race 91 tune. I'm hoping that will wake things up a little more.

Last edited by poopile; 03-14-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:45 AM
Stetler17

I just put a Brenspeed 93 race tune and Bullitt intake on my 05/manual and could not believe the improvement it made. Night and day difference, especially on the bottom end driving in town. Throttle response is unreal now. Maybe my stock tune was just way off, I don't know. It feels like a car that has had a gear change...I can only imagine what it will feel like when I get the gears changed.

I've owned several Corvettes, Trans Am, BMW, etc...This was my first Ford in 27 years of buying cars and I was totally unimpressed by it until I put the tune in. I hated to drive it in town because it was either lug around slower than an econo car, or run the RPM up to 4000+ just to feel any power.

Brenspeed Tune and Bullitt CAI gets a perfect 10 in my book. Took me from a car that was headed back to the dealer to a car that I can't wait to mod some more.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:21 PM
poopile
1st Gear Member

I really wish I could run the 93 race tune, but we only have 91 here. I talked to AM this morning and they are emailing me the race 91 tune. I guess I'll wait and see how that turns out. I will say I'm pretty tickled with American Muscle as they did not have to do that. They only sold me what I asked for, and now they're just trying to make me a happy camper.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:41 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by poopile
I really wish I could run the 93 race tune, but we only have 91 here. I talked to AM this morning and they are emailing me the race 91 tune. I guess I'll wait and see how that turns out. I will say I'm pretty tickled with American Muscle as they did not have to do that. They only sold me what I asked for, and now they're just trying to make me a happy camper.
Yeah, they will go way out of their way to make sure you're happy with the tune you use.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I was also disappointed with the intake/tune package in my car. 2006 manual with the brenspeed 91 tune and JLT intake. It was a noticeable improvement but just barely. Not what I was expecting that's for sure.

Quick Reply: underwhelmed by my tuner/CAI