Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Learn more about Stangs

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 04:02 AM
Vscout

Originally Posted by yourmyboybh1026
I'm the exact same way but small things like axle backs and an x pipe are very simple (I've done my axle backs). You just need to get the car in the air (jack and jack stands), unbolt the old mufflers and mid pipe, bolt the new ones up and you should be good. If there are any rattles then you may have to play with it but there shouldn't be anything wrong. If you have problems just look on here, you can find the answer.
Any jack and jack stands you would recommend? I bought a Torin jack and jack stands but I did not like them at all. My biggest problem was jacking the car up. I felt like something was going to break. What point on the car would you guys suggest jacking the car up at?
Old 04-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Unless I'm pulling wheels, I use ramps. A set of Rhino Ramps are about $40. I use them on all 3 of my vehicles. A little scarey the first few attempts getting the car up on them but after a few times it becomes second nature.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:21 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I agree with read the forums and tech articles in magazines and repair manuals. Another good source for DYI is you-tube, especially with Mustangs and Camaros, there are a lot of video instructions on "how to do" the task. As you study and learn about the car you will figure out what to modify and in what order to modify. Then learn how to do each process....lot's of fun!!

As far as raising the car, I insist on using 6 & 4 ton jack stands. I have four 6 ton jack stands and two 2 ton jack stands. Sometimes the 6 ton jack stands could be to big and get in the way, then I switch over to the 2 ton stands.

good luck & have fun!!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Vscout

Originally Posted by Nuke
Unless I'm pulling wheels, I use ramps. A set of Rhino Ramps are about $40. I use them on all 3 of my vehicles. A little scarey the first few attempts getting the car up on them but after a few times it becomes second nature.
I'm a little scared of the ramps because I have seen them give out. I really would not want to get crushed by what I love so dearly.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:42 AM
Vscout

Originally Posted by daredevil95
I agree with read the forums and tech articles in magazines and repair manuals. Another good source for DYI is you-tube, especially with Mustangs and Camaros, there are a lot of video instructions on "how to do" the task. As you study and learn about the car you will figure out what to modify and in what order to modify. Then learn how to do each process....lot's of fun!!

As far as raising the car, I insist on using 6 & 4 ton jack stands. I have four 6 ton jack stands and two 2 ton jack stands. Sometimes the 6 ton jack stands could be to big and get in the way, then I switch over to the 2 ton stands.

good luck & have fun!!
Where do you put them? When I tried jacking my car up the first time I did it on like the side of the car. There's the plastic on the side of the car and then like a 1 1/2 centimeter of metal. I've felt uncomfortable putting my jack and jack stands there though.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:47 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vscout
Where do you put them? When I tried jacking my car up the first time I did it on like the side of the car. There's the plastic on the side of the car and then like a 1 1/2 centimeter of metal. I've felt uncomfortable putting my jack and jack stands there though.
Ok so I can't find the topic on here that has a great picture on where to position them. If anyone else remembers the name of the post that showed the bottom of the car and had markings on where to jack the car up from and where to put jack stands at that would help.

Try this http://truforums.com/showthread.php?...ck-Lift-Points
Old 04-11-2011, 10:11 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

Vscout...I know how you feel. When I got the mustang I had no car repair experience at all. I bought pypes pype bomb axel backs and installed them with the help of a friend. Very straight forward and wasnt too bad. Had some trouble getting to some bolts at first but it was the first mod I've ever done and it took 30-45 min to install.

If you know someone who has experience working on cars, maybe they can help you and watch you do the install...that way if you run into any issues, they can help you.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

Oh yea............Taco Bill has great do it yourself directions.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I found some pics on the internet....I try to use the big 6 ton stands....I feel very safe under the car. Most of the jack stands look like the 4 ton stands.

4 ton JS

6 ton JS

Last edited by daredevil95; 04-11-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:37 AM
2mmustang

Default Camshaft problem

Hi,I have problem vith my 4.6 GT.I checked my timing chain and I think that the one of my cams phasers is broken.I think that the spring on phaser is broken.I made video with it.Please can you tell me is it normal or where is problem? There is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYgARViJMiw
Thank you