Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

SPEC Stage 2 + squeal from stop

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SamsBlueGT
Thanks man! Yeah I'm a penny pincher as well, which is why I stupidly got the SPEC. Oh well, live and learn. I just hate that stupid squeal noise. I read on a Miata forum that they have the same issues with SPEC clutches, and that one guy sanded his flywheel a little and the squeal went away. I may try that...
Don't feel bad. My candid and somewhat rude response was geared towards making you look into the subject deeper. The 2+ is notorious for exactly what you described. There is something within either the production of the 2+ or the deign that makes it function horribly.

So here is my second piece of advice, same as the last post, get a Mcleod RST. You can find it for $700 without the flywheel. If you have your OEM flywheel it works just fine. It was desgined to be used with the OEM flywheel and TOB. Yes Mcleod has another flywheel that is slightly different, and better, but any OEM style will work fine.

It's cheaper to have it installed one time, then to get another clutch that you end up having to replace early, replace other parts like the TOB or doesn't hold power, everytime you will have to pull the tranny. Not to mention the pedal pressure and drivability of the clutch. It's awesome. I sound like such a fanboy, but seriously, if you have to wait a little while longer to afford it, do it.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:27 PM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I concede when I know I'm wrong. I should have done research a little more, I impulse bought when the stock clutch started slipping (a KB will do that) and the SPEC was in my immediate price range. I'm just going to have to pinch pennies for a while, and I think I'm going to have to get the Mcleod flywheel as well since I replaced my stocker (well, my friend did since I'm on a deployment) with the SPEC aluminum.

Oh and by TOB don't you mean slave cylinder? (our clutches have a hydraulic clutch system)
Old 04-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Yeah I concede when I know I'm wrong. I should have done research a little more, I impulse bought when the stock clutch started slipping (a KB will do that) and the SPEC was in my immediate price range. I'm just going to have to pinch pennies for a while, and I think I'm going to have to get the Mcleod flywheel as well since I replaced my stocker (well, my friend did since I'm on a deployment) with the SPEC aluminum.

Oh and by TOB don't you mean slave cylinder? (our clutches have a hydraulic clutch system)
I have no idea about the specfics of it, but with the new hydrolic clutches it's all one part, so I've been told.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:34 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Save your cash and get the RST. I was one of the poor souls that tried repeatedly to fix my Spec's II+ clutch. After dropping about 4k trying to fix it, I replaced it with the RST and matching Mcleod steel flywheel. The thing works like a charm. You should be able to use your Specs aluminum flywheel with the RST.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:56 AM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Yeah that's what I'm planning on doing. It may be a while though, so I'll be living with a squealy clutch in the meantime. Are you sure I'll be able to use the Spec flywheel with the Mcleod? I may email them to verify...
Old 04-16-2011, 10:57 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Yeah that's what I'm planning on doing. It may be a while though, so I'll be living with a squealy clutch in the meantime. Are you sure I'll be able to use the Spec flywheel with the Mcleod? I may email them to verify...
I spoke with Lee at Mcleod and he said the Spec's flywheel would be fine. Just not to use the stock because the face on the stock flywheel will have less of a contact patch with the clutch. He said that most aftermarket flywheels will work fine with the RST. I junk my Spec's flywheel because I didn't want that garbage in my car. With that being said, I would still call Mcleod just to verify.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:03 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sactown
I spoke with Lee at Mcleod and he said the Spec's flywheel would be fine. Just not to use the stock because the face on the stock flywheel will have less of a contact patch with the clutch. He said that most aftermarket flywheels will work fine with the RST. I junk my Spec's flywheel because I didn't want that garbage in my car. With that being said, I would still call Mcleod just to verify.
Off topic:

I just watched the video and I don't think you need that much heat in those Bias ply tires. Some of my best 60' is 2nd gear, line lock, spin for 22 seconds and let the line lock off. They smoke, but not a whole lot. Those were my 1.5x 60's and a good track.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:06 AM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
Off topic:

I just watched the video and I don't think you need that much heat in those Bias ply tires. Some of my best 60' is 2nd gear, line lock, spin for 22 seconds and let the line lock off. They smoke, but not a whole lot. Those were my 1.5x 60's and a good track.
Only the passenger side tire was spinning on that burn out.

Back to topic.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:29 AM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sactown
Calling is a little difficult on deployment, I try to call family when I get a chance for a "morale call". I did however email Mcleod and they said the Spec aluminum flywheel will work fine. For good measure I'm going to buy a new friction plate from Spec ($~80) and that keeps the cost down for me. As an added update, it looks like I'm going to be able to afford the Mcleod! After reading a few more threads here I feel pretty comfortable with tackling the install myself instead of paying someone $~400 for the install...again. So, Mcleod made my deployment wish list along with Koni Yellows, adjustable UCA, and 555Rs for the track

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:06 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Whatever you do don't put anymore money into that piece of crap Spec. Get a Mcleod and you will reach salvation.

Quick Reply: SPEC Stage 2 + squeal from stop