Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Vortech H.O. first impressions feedback

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 12:09 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default Vortech H.O. first impressions feedback

Not that I don't love this supercharger, but for the amount of time I put into installing and paying for the "upgrade"- it really didn't warrant the $$ and time spent. Sure, I got a nice boost in power but $2k, it should have been a lot more.

It whistles even louder and takes off like a bat outta hell, what it lacks in torque it makes up with seemingly endless mid-top end

The whole front end lifts up when going WOT! lulz

.. if I had to do it over again.. it would have to be a twin screw or a Roots

off idle and until 2800rpm it's like there isn't even a blower on there...

oh, and I have an inaccurate fuel reading now lulz.. dude! Has to be a sensor somewhere I pinched with the IC piping..
Old 04-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

uh oh you almost sound disappointed. I have to admit I can always tell the blower is their even when feathering the throttle. Get her on the track see what kinda times you get with the new upgrade.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:46 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Kinda lol

I spent an entire day installing the intercooler and other misc parts for it.. I expected 450whp but felt more like 420 if that. Brenspeed says it's 450 w/90 octane but I really doubt it.

Pretty sure I'll be hitting 12.4/12.5s@115ish (consistent) with my mods on street tires.. nothing fancy, just street tires, launching off 2800/power braking. 12.8/12.8 was my old consistent times, best of 12.5@108mph.

Not too impressed by it's design, but the fitment of the intercooler is top notch. Hoses and sleeves look cheap. The plethora of hoses/lines and well as the wacky dual bypass valve set up looks ridiculous, but it works. It would actually have been easier for me to uninstall their air/water charge cooler set up than all these pipes and hoses.

I am gonna enjoy this kit this summer and for sure selling it for either a Roush or Whipple
Old 04-19-2011, 03:50 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Cant go wrong with either of those kits IMO, although Roush seems a little more expensive than the Whipple kits when it includes the gt500 pumps and smaller pulley. I'm planning to do a fuel system upgrade and a custom 3.47" pulley for mine but I HAVE to do my brakes first they are due and are not adequate for my driving style and new found power. I have overheated them and could smell them a couple of times now, not good on twisty roads. Ratchet shifter is in order as well I think lol

Do you have gt500 pumps or the paxton add a pump kit? Not sure which way I'm gonna go with that yet the gt500 pumps are getting cheaper now AM has em listed for 675. Then again I could probably just get away with a KB BAP
Old 04-19-2011, 07:38 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Man I thought I was wishy-washy. Didn't you just say the other day your NOT putting on the HO intercooler kit LOL???
Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
Not that I don't love this supercharger, but for the amount of time I put into installing and paying for the "upgrade"- it really didn't warrant the $$ and time spent. Sure, I got a nice boost in power but $2k, it should have been a lot more.

It whistles even louder and takes off like a bat outta hell, what it lacks in torque it makes up with seemingly endless mid-top end

The whole front end lifts up when going WOT! lulz

.. if I had to do it over again.. it would have to be a twin screw or a Roots

off idle and until 2800rpm it's like there isn't even a blower on there...

oh, and I have an inaccurate fuel reading now lulz.. dude! Has to be a sensor somewhere I pinched with the IC piping..
If you had some custom tuning done it would wake up quite a bit. If you ever have access to a dyno with a wideband O2 sensor, I would contact my tuner and have him remotely tune it.

Sounds like the car needs all sorts of adjustment in the low rpm area.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:29 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Stealth I thought u had talked about selling your kit before you bought the upgrade. Maybe u will like it more once you slap on some DR's and head to the track. I like my saleen it makes for good power and gets in it quick. Im gonna order some Racestar 15x8 Rear Wheels and Mickey Thompson 275/60-15 ET Street Radial Rear Tires. Im getting those through brenspeed sometime this week. My local track is open next wednesday so hopefully I can have a good day. I still have the LCA's to get installed. How long did that take you to do. I dont get home until next monday and was wondering about how long that would take to do. I had thought about just calling a local shop to install them. I woiuld think they could get it done reasonably and it wouldnt be difficult.

Oh and if your looking for a good finish once installed saleen supercharger look good the way they sit on the engine. But the kits you already mentioned are great ones too. Goodluck with the decision
Old 04-19-2011, 11:33 AM
mdg
4th Gear Member

no complaints here! i'm having it dynoed when I return home. i was told to expect anywhere from 460-480hp with this setup from Brenspeed.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:51 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Yeah, I thought about selling it locally but no one wanted to buy it, and online it cost too much to ship because of the giant box. It's running a canned tune so of course it's not going to give me the "most" whp, but it's not bad.

Not sure which kit I will be getting but it will be a twin screw of sorts (or TVS).

I know of a few places where I could possibly get it tuned, but I am taking it off in September so it's no use to me really..

it's all good, the sun is out and it's getting hot

I am just gonna enjoy the kit as it is for now, and when I do take it off- I'll get some cams.. if nothing else but to make me feel better lulz

Don't get me wrong, this kit is pretty awesome.. just not awesome enough to warrant taking it off every winter and then putting it back on for the summer. The way this thing spools up and whistles is pretty sweet...

Looking forward to the drag strip in a month.. DRs on 17s would be great, but we'll see...
not trying to run 11s or anything, just want to have some fun.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:49 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

wow.. I took it out for a "real test drive" and all I can say is;

HOLY SHIET!

Okay, now it's fast.. not sure why it wasn't as fast on the first day but possibly because I just set the tune, and now after driving it for a few days, the boost is normalizing.

It literally goes sideways from anything below 45mph, and it still chirps the tires HARD at 60mph. It gets up to the triple digits real quick!

When I manually hold gears, it boosts a lot harder but gonna relax on that... not so fond of rpm hang between gears. It's not like a manual when you get that pause between shifts.. the auto just goes.. don't want to fry anything in the trans lol

All in all pretty happy with this kit now.. though still bummed out that I have to take it off during September. I seriously need to rig something up to keep it warm over night and when I am parking somewhere during the winter...

Quick Reply: Vortech H.O. first impressions feedback