Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Best Custom Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Gaines09
1st Gear Member

Question Best Custom Tuning

So I see all the different custom tuning.. Brenspeed, bama tunes, lethal performance, etc. etc. Name some others because I know there are more than just these 3. I've also noticed that lethal prices are ridiculous!

My question is. Who has the best for simple bolt ons in your opinion? Or even fact wise if you can prove it?

I currently have the bama tunes for life with the sct. But could I have better? Haha
Old 02-12-2013, 02:30 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

With simple bolt ons you're not going to really see that much difference in mail order tunes. They are made to be pretty safe so you don't damage anything. If you really want to get the best from your car then get with a tuner that will do remote tuning. With remote tuning you make some runs while data logging and then the tuner will adjust the tune based on the log and send you a new tune. This will go on until the tuner feels it's as good as he can get it. The only other option is a dyno tune from a reputable tuner.

This guy manuel@tudyno.com has a great reputation for remote tuning and I recommend him. He is in Venezuela but don't let that bother you.

Earl
Old 02-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Gaines09
1st Gear Member

Well my hometown is close to memphis so I guess I could go get a dyno tune there from http://dynospeedracing.com

Does the SCT SF3/X3 tuner have data logging? I guess I don't understand the concept or what you mean of data logging but sounds like taking the hassle of going to pay big bucks for a dyno tune.. So I guess it is basically the same thing but without having to go onto a dyno? Also does American Muscle do data logging custom tunes?
Old 02-12-2013, 03:55 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Yes it's like a dyno tune but it actuality can be a little better because it's actual conditions instead of simulated, like with a dyno. You need a laptop and the Livelink program from SCT, which should have come with your X3, if not you can download it from their web site. The tuner will tell you how to set it up and what PID's to log, the Pid's are the different parameters. It's usually a lot cheaper then a dyno tune also. Send Manual an e-mail and he can fill you in.

Earl
Old 02-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Gaines09
1st Gear Member

Unfortunately I'm on a mac so software is pointless for me. I'll have to wait till my buddy gets back in a couple weeks before I can even attempt to do this, but I will definitely look into it. So does it take alot of tweaking to get it just right? Or is it just a few drives and it's done?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

With your setup, as good as Manual is with the tune, I would think only one or two logs and you would have the final.

Earl
Old 02-12-2013, 05:19 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

Lund tunes are really good.. Pricey but excellent
Old 02-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

In all cases, any decent custom tune will outperform the canned SCT tunes. For typical bolt-on mods, the BAMA and Brenspeed custom tunes are usually not far off from that of a good dyno tune. But if you're FI, or NA with a plethora of bolt-ons, a dyno tune is likely to provide a measurable advantage over a good custom tune.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:29 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

I am going to be using Lito for my tuning when I put the D.O.B blower on. I have heard nothing but excellent reviews about his work and ability to nail down a tune.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:11 PM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

I had nothing but problems with Bama tunes, good people there, just never got it right for me, had RPM issues. About to get Steeda tunes tomorrow, hopefully will have some better results. From what I've seen on the forums, a lot of people have good luck with Brenspeed...

Quick Reply: Best Custom Tuning