Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Fuel pump and exhaust problems... Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:05 PM
LamboStang05

Default Fuel pump and exhaust problems... Opinions?

So my fuel pump goes out (or so they say).

I was driving, felt a decrease in power, heard a weird sound that almost sounded like it was coming from the exhaust, then the car died, then it won't turn over. They say it's the fuel pump. Cool, whatever.

Previously, the engine was just a stock 05 GT 4.6L. I put on a BBK 62mm twin throttle body and a Roush intake.

Almost immediately after I installed those, I saw a decrease in mpg. Was getting around 300-320/tank. Now I'm lucky to average 250/tank.

Was that because of the mods I did? Was it because of the bad fuel pump about to go out?

Also, I have the legal roush exhaust on my car. And it doesn't sound ANYTHING like it should. I've had it put on one of my previous stangs, and it was throaty. The exhaust I have now sounds like factory. Any ideas as to why it's doing this and/or how to fix? When I started it up after the new exhaust was done, I honestly couldn't tell a difference at all. In fact, I looked under the car to make sure the new exhaust was there.

Do I need a tuner to fix any of this? What will that do? If so, which one would you recommend?

Are the fuel pump and exhaust linked somehow? Please taker easy on this NON mechanically inclined person
Old 04-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First of all, an aftermarket TB won't gain you any power and tends to cause problems, depending on the TB and the install. In some cases, a new tune is required if I recall.

Does the Roush intake require a tune or is it a no-tune-required CAI? If it's no-tune-required, then it's not gaining you much HP and shouldn't be causing you a drastic drop in fuel mileage. If it IS a tune required CAI, then you're running lean without a custom tune for it but that should have caused you to throw a CEL.

I'm not familiar with the Roush exhaust. I'd also expect a change in exhaust note (and again, NO power gains with exhaust work from the stock H-pipe back.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 PM
LamboStang05

Thanks for the info

I'm not so much worried about power gains as I am trying to get my car back to the fuel consumption it was previously at with the mods I've already added.

Just wondering if my mpg have gone down because of a fuel pump going out, or because of the mods I've done, and...

Why my exhaust doesn't sound any different from a factory exhaust (when I know it sounds a lot better because I used to have it).

I just didn't know if a new fuel pump was going to make things the way it should, or if a tune was needed, or if I somehow screwed something up, or...?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I don't believe a failing fuel pump would cause an decrease in fuel mileage. But assuming the pump has failed, I'd run with the new pump for at least 2 or 3 tanks to see if it DID have any affect on your mileage and then swap back to the stock TB and see if you pick up the mileage.

As far as the exhaust, I really can't say since I'm not familiar with the Roush exhaust.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:17 AM
LamboStang05

Thank you much for the help! I'll try that out and see how that works
Old 04-29-2011, 05:29 PM
LamboStang05

Just wanted to give an update really quick...

Apparently the reason for my fuel pump going out is because I filled up literally right before it breaking. And what was pumped in my tank was nothing but water.

So, I think it's safe to say that the decrease in fuel mileage was most likely because of the mods and not because of a failing fuel pump

Now I have to have Hucks reimburse me for a full tank of gas, a new fuel pump and all labor.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Let us know how that goes. If it goes well, then I'd run right out and buy lottery tickets. LOL!
Old 04-29-2011, 11:38 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Water.....WTF? How did that happen? This is a first?
Old 04-30-2011, 12:58 AM
LamboStang05

I have no clue lol. I was at about 1/8th of a tank, stopped at Hucks to fill up, then about 2 miles TOPS, I break down. The mechanic called today and asked me if I filled up recently and I said yeah right before I broke down. And he said, well that explains it because most of what was in the gas tank was nothing but water.

Funny thing is, his sister in law is the manager of gas station I filled up at! And, ironically enough... he also said the person he towed right before me (literally 5 minutes before I called) just got gas there too.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:19 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Wow....did the Gas station find the leak in it's tank?

Quick Reply: Fuel pump and exhaust problems... Opinions?