Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

DTCs and Manuals

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Mike Charleville

Default DTCs and Manuals

I've got an 09 Mustang GT/CS with a Kenne Bell stage 2 supercharger running 10 lbs. of boost. It's insane! The car is so much fun to drive. I just steer it with my right foot. I bought the dealer Volume 1 and 2 dealer manuals for nearly $300 thinking all the info I would ever need would be in there. Wrong. My tuner is giving me diagnotic trouble codes that are in yet another, different manual. This would be the (PC/ED) POWERTRAIN CONTROL/ EMMISSIONS DIAGNOSTICS Manual. Evidently I can't diagnose the codes without it. I was curious if anyone had one of these and if they could help me with the codes reading as follows. P0159, P0161, and P2272. The car runs great except for the "check engine" light on the dash. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. I'm new to the forum thing and not sure if my email appears. It's mcharleville@chauvincoffee.com.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:13 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike Charleville
I've got an 09 Mustang GT/CS with a Kenne Bell stage 2 supercharger running 10 lbs. of boost. It's insane! The car is so much fun to drive. I just steer it with my right foot. I bought the dealer Volume 1 and 2 dealer manuals for nearly $300 thinking all the info I would ever need would be in there. Wrong. My tuner is giving me diagnotic trouble codes that are in yet another, different manual. This would be the (PC/ED) POWERTRAIN CONTROL/ EMMISSIONS DIAGNOSTICS Manual. Evidently I can't diagnose the codes without it. I was curious if anyone had one of these and if they could help me with the codes reading as follows. P0159, P0161, and P2272. The car runs great except for the "check engine" light on the dash. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. I'm new to the forum thing and not sure if my email appears. It's mcharleville@chauvincoffee.com.
If you have a handheld tuner (SCT, Diablo, ect) you should be able to read and clear those codes through the OBD-II port. I would go to the 2005-2011 specific section for a better shot at help! But then again this will be moved anyways .

Goodluck and welcome to the forum!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Mike Charleville

Thanks for the reply. My tuner is just the one that came with the blower. It is an OBD II tuner. It will clear the codes and reset, then I start the damn thing up and the light comes back on. Will the Diablo actually give you the problem to read, or just spit out a code and let you find the rest? I'll get this site figured out eventually. The way it's set up and the navigation is a bit odd, but it's all good. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:18 AM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

P0159 - Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank2, Sensor2)
P0161 - Oxygen O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Bank2, Sensor2)
And I wasn't able to find the exact issue with the third one... But by chance did you get rid of your catalytic converters? Or is your sensor disconnected?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Mike Charleville

Sweet, Thanks. It still has the stock cats and I certainly hope it's not disconnected. I really appreciate it. Now I know where to investigate. I do run Torco Accelerator Octane boost 32 Ozs to 10 gallons which is supposed to make an honest 100 octane, along with lucas fuel injector and upper cylender lubricant. I wonder if its just too much lethal crap pouring out the exhaust? It sure keeps the pinging under control though.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:18 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Even if it's not the root cause of the problem, I think most here would strongly (strongly) recommend you don't use octane booster in these cars, especially when using a blower. Not to mention 32 oz to 10 gallons seems like a crapload of the stuff. For 10psi of boost 91 or 93 octane should be plenty to keep your engine healthy and happy so long as you're tuned accordingly.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:25 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mike Charleville
Sweet, Thanks. It still has the stock cats and I certainly hope it's not disconnected. I really appreciate it. Now I know where to investigate. I do run Torco Accelerator Octane boost 32 Ozs to 10 gallons which is supposed to make an honest 100 octane, along with lucas fuel injector and upper cylender lubricant. I wonder if its just too much lethal crap pouring out the exhaust? It sure keeps the pinging under control though.
These cares HATE octane boost. Dude, don't do it. More S197 people than not have a lot of problems on octane boost. I now a guy that fouled his plugs on octane boost.

Trust me, octane boost is not going to help your car and it may hurt it.

If the tune is made for 93, just run 93 and be done with it. Some or all of your codes might even go away after you get a tank or two of 93 through there to flush out all that stuff you've done to it.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:55 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

DTC p0159 O2 circuit slow response Bank 1 sensor 2

Possible causes:
• Contaminated or damaged HO2S
• Deteriorating HO2s
• Exhaust leaks
• Aftermarket accessories
• Performance modifications

DTC p0161 O2 heater circuit bank 1 sensor 1

Possible causes:
• Vacuum hose disconnected on EGR system module (certain applications)
• Short to VPWR in harness or HO2S
• Water in harness connector
• Open VPWR circuit
• Open UO2SHTR circuit
• Open GND circuit
• Low battery voltage
• Corrosion or poor matting terminals and wiring
• Damaged HO2S heater
Old 05-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

OP needs to list all of his mods for help.

Usually O2 sensor issues are due to long tubes being on the car and not tuned for it.

You probably need a custom tune.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:05 AM
Mike Charleville

Great. I was running what kenne bell suggested. They only recommend that brand and that type, nothing else, cuz the other stuff causes problems. I cleared the DTCs in a parking lot as the car was choking to death. It crawled the next couple miles to work. I'm pissed. So much for following recommendations. They said anything over 8 or 9 psi its a good idea to run only torco octane accelorator.

Quick Reply: DTCs and Manuals