Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

cold air or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:21 PM
stevego

Default cold air or not

i have a steeda cold air set up but my engine guy says i would be better off going back to oem and using a K&N hiflow filter because the seal arounf the heat shield is not efficient. any comments
Old 05-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Get a different engine guy.
  1. Cold air is somewhat misleading. You won't notice and can barely measure the performance difference between "outside" air and air at the temperatures under the hood. Additionally, there's enough air flow with the car in motion that the CAI will see a mix of under-hood and outside air anyway, so don't concern yourself with cold air and seals.
  2. The drop-in air filters are useless. They add no power and some are known to filter poorly.
  3. A stand-alone CAI (must be "no-tune-required") adds little power; perhaps 3-5 RWHP. The PCM cannot properly manage the increased airflow without a revised tune to make use of the added flow. A CAI & good custom tune combo should add about 20-25 RWHP
  4. The Steeda CAI requires a tune or you'll throw a code for running lean. If your "engine guy" didn't tell you that, then I'd find somebody that has a clue about these engines.

Last edited by Nuke; 05-25-2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:46 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Doubtful, your engine guy must not have seen the hydrocarbon trap in the stock intake. And he must also have stock in K&N.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:55 PM
stevego

it has a steeda /predator tune on it with richmonds in the rear. fitting the new ford racing manifold today with steeda underpullies and larger ford racing throttle body. also have 3in bassani system. ford racing say it has to be dynoed so hoping for about 340rwp lets see
Old 05-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stevego
it has a steeda /predator tune on it with richmonds in the rear. fitting the new ford racing manifold today with steeda underpullies and larger ford racing throttle body. also have 3in bassani system. ford racing say it has to be dynoed so hoping for about 340rwp lets see
Did your "engine guy" give you those numbers??? I'll have what he's drinking...

Stock RWHP is roughly 265. A good CAI & tune will add 20-25 RWHP. The Ford Racing manifold may add some minor power; I haven't seen before and after dynos for just the manifiold but Ford's advertised numbers are... advertising. The UDP's will add about 5 RWHP and the Ford Racing TB by itself adds nothing but with the manifold may possibly give you a few single digit RWHP. Any exhaust work beyond the stock H-pipe yields no power gains; only sound improvement.

I figure you'll see about 305-310 RWHP. Toss cams and LT's in the mix and you'll be about 340 or so...
Old 05-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by adj86
Doubtful, your engine guy must not have seen the hydrocarbon trap in the stock intake...
Wasn't the trap only on the '05s?
Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Wasn't the trap only on the '05s?
IDK, I have an 05 and I definitely have the trap. I didn't realize they'd gotten rid of them in later models. You wouldn't happen to work at GGNS in Port Gibson would you?

Also to quote Dwight Schrute from The Office: "Gonna stop by and pick up a crate of my shirts. I got a shirt guy".

That's what I think of when I hear the phrase "engine guy"
Old 05-25-2011, 04:33 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stevego
i have a steeda cold air set up but my engine guy says i would be better off going back to oem and using a K&N hiflow filter because the seal arounf the heat shield is not efficient. any comments
Everything that has been said is absolutely correct OP, but I would like to add my own experience with an aftermarket intake to the mix...and yes your engine guy is smokin crack!lol
I currently run a brenspeed tune with the stock airbox...why you ask?
Because I don't trust aftermarket intakes. When I purchased my tune/intake combo, I of course installed both only to find a couple of months later that the filter already had a worn spot in it from rubbing up against the heat shield (c&l btw). Bad news in my book, along with the fact that when driving in wet weather there is absolutley NO protection from water being splashed on the intake filter...more bad news. So I said F this and called Doug at brenspeed for a new tune that would work with the stock airbox, been a happy man everysince
I personally will give up the 5-10 hp in the upper RPM range for the extra protection that the factory air box provides....just my .02

Last edited by mayo; 05-25-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:58 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by adj86
...You wouldn't happen to work at GGNS in Port Gibson would you?...
Bingo. But I'm contract and looking for another assignment, more to get out of Armpit, MS than anything else...
Old 05-25-2011, 07:32 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Bingo. But I'm contract and looking for another assignment, more to get out of Armpit, MS than anything else...
Yeah Port Gibson's a pretty tough place. My dad works and GGNS - been there since the plant opened. I'm originally from Vicksburg, so I lived in Armpit, MS for about 23 years. On the plus side, the 'sip doesn't have any emissions testing whatsoever.

Quick Reply: cold air or not