Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

2010 Mustang GT Fuel Spill issues

Old 05-30-2011, 06:42 PM
ColtGT

Default 2010 Mustang GT Fuel Spill issues

Hey everybody. As many who may (or may not) read this will be able to tell, I'm new here. Little bit of a background on me, is that I come from the land of LS's. Namely Corvette although i've driven a few Camaros and a CTSV as well. I bought my first Mustang last Friday in Tyler, Tx and love it so far. My chosen poison is road racing, and, much to the dismay of my wallet, I can't get enough.

This problem here is that even tho this particular stang has the new "capless" system (which i assume is to rid the stang of the existing fueling issues), when fuel is pumped into the tank, the only way to guarantee fuel doesn't come SPEWING back out of the tank is to pump on the lowest possible speed and stop pumping every 10 or so seconds to allow for (what i guess is) decompression of the tank.

A few things I've noticed are that when the internal flap is first opened to fuel the tank, it takes a little force to open it as well as the sound of air escaping. Which leads me to assume that there is a problem with air being compressed inside the tank, hinting at an issue with ventilation of the tank. However, I have no idea how to check this.

Thats all the info i got on this. I'm taking it by the dealership sometime this week, but hope one of yall might have a quick fix that'll save me the gas.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:27 PM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

No idea. Never had an issue with mine. Please let us know what the dealer says.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:30 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I have not had that problem. Like Weiner Dog said, please keep us posted.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:49 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I would say that's definitely a defect problem rather than normality. At least my '11 has no problems with fueling, and I fill with it on the highest setting and speed and only really hear air getting pushed out toward the end when it's basically filling the spout up.

Hope it's not too big of a pain to solve!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:23 PM
ColtGT

Here's the update:

A hose that connects one side of the saddlebag gastank to the other is resting on the exhaust. Specifically where the pipe bends over the axle. The hose has a little bit of of shrouding for heat dispersion, but be that as it may, the hose is still warped almost half way through and is compressing in on itself. It hasn't ruptured yet, but its a matter of time. The evap hose coming out of the gas tank is completely eaten through.

The fact that the hose is collapsing in on itself is keeping gas from being pumped to the other tank, and backing up through the fuel spout and subsequently spewing all over the place. What doesn't spew out of the tank comes out of the fuel vent under the fuel spout.

Anyway, im still dealing with Ford and the dealership to see how this is getting fixed. I didn't put the mufflers on there so i damn sure ain't paying for it, but at the same time the pipe the hose is resting on is actually stock pipe. So we'll just have to see what happens.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Zer0 T

Sorry, it has been a while since the last post but...

ColtGT, how did you make out with this. I have the same exact issue with my 2010 GT. Can't fill up without fuel spewing out all over the place. I even had it to the dealer who replaced the filler neck with a TSB, they said. It is still doing it though.

Thanks!!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:39 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

That problem happens occasionally with my GT. See if holding the gas pump nozzle upside down helps. Works for me.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:36 AM
ColtGT

Well i ended up getting rid of the '10. Too many problems, that I don't have the time to sort out. I have a 2007 currently and the issue is still there, but its easier solved by turning the pump upside down.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 PM
N4SER

Unhappy

I have a similar issue. The pump stops every 3 seconds when im fueling up. I end up pulling the pump as far out as i can and filling up while holding the handle at the very slowest flow. It takes forever. I have a 2005 GT. Anyone else with this issue?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Staley95

I also have the same issue with my 07 GT, we replaced the fuel hat and put in a one from Shelby. This issue of the gas coming back up stopped for about a week then returned. The dealer says its my supercharger but I know its not the problem. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Mustang GT Fuel Spill issues