Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Add another 5r55s trans that took a crap with F/I

Old 07-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Acer, how much HP and torque does your car have?
Last time at the dyno it dropped 440rwhp 405rwrq. And that was before the cams, which so ironically arrived recently.

Originally Posted by retfr8flyr
Before you drop lots of money into another 5R55 I would recommend you go ahead and upgrade to the 4R70w.

Earl
A bit late for that. I placed the order at brenspeed already. This + this + this. They notified me saying it would take 5-6 weeks to get it all paddled up and shipped to me. The kicker is the S&H costs to get it to Puerto Rico: $1300
Besides, wouldn't I also need a new driveshaft and tuning for the 4R70w? And new shifter as well? This car is a semi-daily driver.

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
When was the last time you had the trans fluid flushed and refilled?

I had mine done right at 38k miles, flush.. new filter.. new Mercon 5 and some BG like treatment solution.

It was starting to slip and got very warm frequently when I first installed my intercooler and 10 psi pulley. I was worried about it crapping out on me, so I had it done..

Brenspeed suggests every 20k miles.
I've never even peeked under the transmission in all the car's life (28k miles), since it's a sealed unit (i thought it would last 100,000mi like it says in the manual, lol). As to trying to refill the trans, change the filter, adding a cooler and all that to see if it fixes the problem? But what if that didn't fix it? I would've wasted my time/money. I just went all out and decided to replace to whole thing. I was thinking of getting a torque converter by christmas anyway, but I guess my plans had to be brought up sooner. And in a more expensive way.

It's so sad seeing my car just sitting there, wounded.
But at least I get some comfort in knowing that, when it is finally all fixed and put together (trans, converter, cams, tuning), it's going to be a solid 11sec car. At least until the engine blows...
Old 07-28-2011, 11:00 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
Last time at the dyno it dropped 440rwhp 405rwrq. And that was before the cams, which so ironically arrived recently.

A bit late for that. I placed the order at brenspeed already. This + this + this. They notified me saying it would take 5-6 weeks to get it all paddled up and shipped to me. The kicker is the S&H costs to get it to Puerto Rico: $1300
Besides, wouldn't I also need a new driveshaft and tuning for the 4R70w? And new shifter as well? This car is a semi-daily driver.

It's so sad seeing my car just sitting there, wounded. :
When I blew the motor on my car, the tow truck driver was saying how much he liked my car. I said,"Yeah, it is pretty cool. But right now it's like having a hot girlfriend with an STD." We laughed.

It will be better. You will survive.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:41 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I've never even peeked under the transmission in all the car's life (28k miles), since it's a sealed unit (i thought it would last 100,000mi like it says in the manual, lol). rug:
Its sealed until the fluid gets hot, then it purges it into the bell housing. Each time this happens your loosing trans fluid. Over time your low on fluid which will shorten trans life. You HAVE to check your fluid level with this trans. It aint easy but with FI you gotta do it. With a trans catch can that hot fluid is stored until it cools. Then it flows back into the trans where it should be. You can make one for not much money, or you can buy one from JDM.
I understand the shipping costs............living on Maui everything is pricey to ship. Good thing I have a shipping account already with several freight forwarders if mine ever goes.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:17 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

If it were me I would cancel the Breenspeed order and give these guys a call for this transmission. http://www.fbperformance.com/viewpri...nsmissionID=76 They have a complete conversion kit to change our cars over the the 4R70W. Yes you would need a new yoke for the drive shaft, new converter and a shifter but you would end up spending only a little more than the TCI setup and have a much better trans. There are some real TCI horror stories out there and I have my trans rebuilt with the TCI parts but I know it will probably not hold up.

Earl
Old 07-29-2011, 07:56 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

you were only <as if, i wish for those #s> at 440? I'm suprised it went, but that new set up is really going to get it done! Nice...
Old 07-30-2011, 03:52 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I've never even peeked under the transmission in all the car's life (28k miles), since it's a sealed unit (i thought it would last 100,000mi like it says in the manual, lol). As to trying to refill the trans, change the filter, adding a cooler and all that to see if it fixes the problem? But what if that didn't fix it? I would've wasted my time/money. I just went all out and decided to replace to whole thing. I was thinking of getting a torque converter by christmas anyway, but I guess my plans had to be brought up sooner. And in a more expensive way.

Not saying to do any of what I suggested now, but before you had any of the work done with the blower install. I really only get to drive mine hard for the summer, then it's all winter time again. Less strain on the engine/trans.

I know, too little too late..
Old 07-31-2011, 06:17 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

conversion kit to change our cars over the the 4R70W.

I bought my 4r from FB Performance. Great product and excellent tech support etc. It came with electronic overdrive, so car could be driven at highway speeds and of course a transbrake. I also sent it back to them to be refreshed and strengthened at one point. Their delivery dates are 100% reliable.

As far as yokes and such, you can make almost anything work. The car now has a 2 speed powerglide which is GM. Had to fashion brackets and get a GM yolk for the custom DS.

Lots of crap broke on the car over time, including blowing the built motor and shredding a trutrac, but the 4r never missed a beat.

For street driving, which was minimal in my car, the 4r takes a little getting used to. It is quite clunky and noisy. If you get the transbrake option, the little red button on top of the Hurst is reverse. Also with the transbrake, the most important gauge becomes the transmission oil temp. Using the t-brake spikes oil temps by about 40+ degrees per second that the t-brake button is depressed.

old interior pic with 4r and Hurst

powerglide shifter before install (powerglide installed)

Last edited by forensicsteve; 07-31-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:09 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

that is one mean looking set up..

I heard some people at work talking about only needing 2 speeds for serious drag cars. One to launch hard and getting off the line, and one for the top end. Anything more is useless lol
Old 08-02-2011, 05:59 PM
tigerhonaker
1st Gear Member

Question

I wonder what the OP (Original Poster) eneded up doing.

tigerhonaker
Old 08-03-2011, 10:19 AM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
I wonder what the OP (Original Poster) eneded up doing.

tigerhonaker
Playing the waiting game.

6-8 weeks before Brenspeed can ship me the replacement trans.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Add another 5r55s trans that took a crap with F/I