Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Add another 5r55s trans that took a crap with F/I

Old 04-29-2012, 02:44 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
As a matter of fact, I just got back from the track. The guy who installed the supercharger and cams on my car accompanied me and lent me some slicks.

Managed to pull 3 passes all night due to a high attendance of "rotaries" (they were breaking down all night long).

1st pass: 12.37 @ 113mph due to a poor start
2nd pass: 12.05 @ 114mph, 1.87 60'

and after a 2 hour wait/cooldown:
11.90 @ 114mph 1.76 60'

All of this done using 116oct fuel. This was to rule out some detonation issues that were affecting my car's top end acceleration. I ran with slicks before using 91oct, and only managed to get a measly 12.2 @ 112mph. Indeed it seems the car was detonating with 91oct.

I also pulled off a 12.24 @ 115mph using street tires on a previous track day.

And now for some action shots:

11.90..............SWEET!!! Congrats..........its gotta feel good to finally get an 11 second slip! Letting it cool down is key to getting those personal bests. I know my car is as much as 3 tenths slower when run at normal operating temperature.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Default UPDATE

An update on this transmission; it broke too...

I was driving late at night after fueling up. Open stretch of road going 40mph, stepped on it, and the car went crazy as it usually does until suddenly i get the familiar (too me, anyway) "neutral" feeling of a fried transmission. I let it coast to a stop and tried turning off/on the car. Nothing. The transmission is completely gone this time around. No reverse, no 1,2,3, D, nothing. Last time, at least I had 1,2,3 to get to my house. Had to flatbed it this time around.

I'm currently having the stock dead tranny rebuilt using a kit from Dynamic Racing Transmissions, which my mechanic recommended. I want to have a spare in case I have to ship out this TCI unit for warranties. Hopefully, it's just the converter that broke...

I don't want to fling any mud at TCI yet, since we haven't lowered the transmission to see what went. But given the fact that I currently have the TCI SuperStreet Fighter trans, TCI 3500 torque converter, and TCI ratchet shifter, it's pretty safe to say TCI failed SOMEWHERE. That's why I'm going with another trans shop for the rebuilds this time around.

This could take a few weeks, but I'll let you guys know what happens.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:45 AM
tigerhonaker
1st Gear Member

Staying Tuned for further Post.

tigerhonaker
Old 10-27-2012, 03:19 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Wow that's horrible. I know on the s197 they get know love. I have the tci torque convertor and it's been great but I have heard some horror stories about tci. If they can go out if there way to try and makeup for ur loss then that would be great
Old 10-28-2012, 07:43 AM
HG6283

Subscribing....

Old 11-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

My mechanic took down the transmission today.

Converter fugged up, and took the "hardened input shaft" with it.
Name:  6C9u4l.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  42.7 KB

Same "unbreakable" input shaft TCI made me wait 5 months to get my transmission shipped. The transmission itself appears to be fine. No signs on metal shavings in the fluid. No weird smell.

At this point, I'm not even going to bother contacting TCI for warranties. Even if they send me another unit for free, I'm pretty sure that one will break too. My mechanic will contact his guys at Dynamic Racing Transmissions, and we will run their converter and input shaft on the TCI trans.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:36 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
My mechanic took down the transmission today.

Converter fugged up, and took the "hardened input shaft" with it.

Same "unbreakable" input shaft TCI made me wait 5 months to get my transmission shipped. The transmission itself appears to be fine. No signs on metal shavings in the fluid. No weird smell.

At this point, I'm not even going to bother contacting TCI for warranties. Even if they send me another unit for free, I'm pretty sure that one will break too. My mechanic will contact his guys at Dynamic Racing Transmissions, and we will run their converter and input shaft on the TCI trans.
I have the tci trans. with the 3,000 stall convertor so far so good, however I try not to down shift it like you , I heard this is the most abusive to the trans. I'm about 530 rwhp so I'm little leary to do it afraid of losing control.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:28 PM
tigerhonaker
1st Gear Member

Post TCI Super Street Fighter Transmission discussion ...

Just some general information on running the TCI Super Street Fighter transmission.

I'm going to do this Post to give anyone this info. that might not know some of these things.

What I am not going to do is get into some lengthy on going, never ending, Debate.

If you find this info. helpful which is why I am doing this Post that's great.
If you think the info. is a bunch of crap that's fine also.

Things Not to do:

(1) Don't be driving down the road in 5th gear which is OD, (Over-Drive).
.... And all of a Sudden completely Mat the throttle.

(2) If your running your Mustang Wide-Open don't let it shift into 5th gear under WOT.

(3) Use only the 1st through 4th gears to Drag-Race.

(4) Once you take off from the Lights or on the Street from a Stop.
You Cannot back out of the throttle abruptly and then Mat it again.

(5) Once you take off you have to stay on the gas so the trans. shifts right through the 1st 4-gears as it is programmed to do.

(6) According to the traction your tires have you might have to take off easier and just keep applying the gas as it gains traction.
(Not an easy thing to do)

(7) If you happen to have a real high HP, (Horsepower) Mustang with lots of, (Torque).
Example: 500 Plus for HP & Torque.
It is much easier to tear-up your transmission.
I think Twin-Screw Superchargers are even worse than the Centrifugal ones.
The Twin-Screws deliver their HP & Torque instantly so they can be hard on the Tranny.
I'm mainly above referring to not having adequate traction.

I think the main thing to keep in mind with the TCI Super Street Fighter Transmission with High HP & Torque is this.
It is not like running the Stock Tranny with normal HP & Torque from the Factory.
We all know you can jump on the gas any Ole time and the tranny will last for years usually.
But you jump in their with a highly built Mustang with Tons of HP & Torque and do the same thing as when it was all basically stock.
The next thing you know is the TCI is Broke.
Or in some cases the Converter is Broke.

I personally run the, (Custom Billet Circle-D converter).
It is expensive but works.

I have mine now for something like a little over a year.
I don't drive the Mustang everyday.
I don't drag-race it real frequent.
And I try to remember what, (Not) to do with it while driving with it on the street.
I have had Zero issues with my set-up since it being installed.
And I have put thousands of miles on it on the street as well as it being Drag-Raced.

As I said above I have done this Post for no other reason than to possibly offer some information to everyone that they might not be aware of.

I think one more thing I will offer here to everyone is this.
Based on some other owners with this tranny.
I can tell you IMHO if you Abuse the Crap out of this tranny on the street it will not last.
Also if you Drag-Race with it like in the NMRA full season it will not more than likely hold up much more than a
Racing Season if it is also driven on the street.
I'm sure this is not what people that own this tranny want to read.
But, it is pretty darn factual based on what I know personally that has happened with others.

Here is a Link to my Conversion from a 5-Sp/ Manual to the TCI Super Street Fighter with the Circle-D Custom Billet Converter.
This might be of interest to let you check and see if you have the same build items I have in my conversion.

tigerhonaker

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-07-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:40 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tigerhonaker
Just some general information on running the TCI Super Street Fighter transmission.

I'm going to do this Post to give anyone this info. that might not know some of these things.

What I am not going to do is get into some lengthy on going, never ending, Debate.

If you find this info. helpful which is why I am doing this Post that's great.
If you think the info. is a bunch of crap that's fine also.

Things Not to do:

(1) Don't be driving down the road in 5th gear which is OD, (Over-Drive).
.... And all of a Sudden completely Mat the throttle.

(2) If your running your Mustang Wide-Open don't let it shift into 5th gear under WOT.

(3) Use only the 1st through 4th gears to Drag-Race.

(4) Once you take off from the Lights or on the Street from a Stop.
You Cannot back out of the throttle abruptly and then Mat it again.

(5) Once you take off you have to stay on the gas so the trans. shifts right through the 1st 4-gears as it is programmed to do.

(6) According to the traction your tires have you might have to take off easier and just keep applying the gas as it gains traction.
(Not an easy thing to do)

(7) If you happen to have a real high HP, (Horsepower) Mustang with lots of, (Torque).
Example: 500 Plus for HP & Torque.
It is much easier to tear-up your transmission.
I think Twin-Screw Superchargers are even worse than the Centrifugal ones.
The Twin-Screws deliver their HP & Torque instantly so they can be hard on the Tranny.
I'm mainly above referring to not having adequate traction.

I think the main thing to keep in mind with the TCI Super Street Fighter Transmission with High HP & Torque is this.
It is not like running the Stock Tranny with normal HP & Torque from the Factory.
We all know you can jump on the gas any Ole time and the tranny will last for years usually.
But you jump in their with a highly built Mustang with Tons of HP & Torque and do the same thing as when it was all basically stock.
The next thing you know is the TCI is Broke.
Or in some cases the Converter is Broke.

I personally run the, (Custom Billet Circle-D converter).
It is expensive but works.

I have mine now for something like a little over a year.
I don't drive the Mustang everyday.
I don't drag-race it real frequent.
And I try to remember what, (Not) to do with it while driving with it on the street.
I have had Zero issues with my set-up since it being installed.
And I have put thousands of miles on it on the street as well as it being Drag-Raced.

As I said above I have done this Post for no other reason than to possibly offer some information to everyone that they might not be aware of.

I think one more thing I will offer here to everyone is this.
Based on some other owners with this tranny.
I can tell you IMHO if you Abuse the Crap out of this tranny on the street it will not last.
Also if you Drag-Race with it like in the NMRA full season it will not more than likely hold up much more than a
Racing Season if it is also driven on the street.
I'm sure this is not what people that own this tranny want to read.
But, it is pretty darn factual based on what I know personally that has happened with others.

Here is a Link to my Conversion from a 5-Sp/ Manual to the TCI Super Street Fighter with the Circle-D Custom Billet Converter.
This might be of interest to let you check and see if you have the same build items I have in my conversion.

tigerhonaker
Thanks for the tips. I have been doing most of your saying except not flooring it from 5th gear, your saying drop out of overdrive then you can matt it all the way. Another quick question my trans. temp. runs about 210- 215 deg. after some sprited drving is this ok, or should I get a trans. cooler I know heat is hard on any trans.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:15 PM
tigerhonaker
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cfr865
Thanks for the tips. I have been doing most of your saying except not flooring it from 5th gear, your saying drop out of overdrive then you can Matt it all the way. Another quick question my trans. temp. runs about 210- 215 deg. after some spirited driving is this OK, or should I get a trans. cooler I know heat is hard on any trans.
Hi,

Just keep this in mind that I am not in anyway an authority on this subject.

I have just posted what I think would possibly help those that might not know some of the things I do regarding these transmissions.

5th gear:

Touch the Btn. to take it out of OD, (Overdrive).
And, No, Do-Not mat the gas pedal in 4th gear.
You should push down on the throttle to get it to go down into 3rd gear and then go Wide-Open.

Keep this also in mind.
Don't be cruising along like at say 40 MPH and all of a sudden Mat the Throttle.
It might go or try to go down several gears.
That is what, (Destroys) these tyranny's.
Multiple gear changes from in OD will eventually tear up the tranny.
They just don't like that Instant downshifting multiple gears.

I'm not saying they want do it.
I'm saying sooner or later they will Tear-Up the Trans.

Once we get these Mustangs up into the 500 HP & Torque numbers they are hard on Transmissions.
And that includes the TCI Super Street Fighter.
The TCI is still the 5R55 tranny that comes in the Mustang but just made with stronger internal parts.

The one thing that does help these tranny's to last is the Custom Tune.
It is Very-Very important !!!

Heat:

If you click on those Links I posted above you will see I have, (Both) a Deep Trans. Pan as well as a Trans. Cooler.
I Highly suggest making sure you do, (Both).

Hope this helps some with your questions.

Name:  TCIandCircleDpicFinal-1.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  46.5 KB

Name:  BMRKMemberAArms.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  201.2 KB

Name:  PicstakenatBrenspeedNewChanges4.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  192.5 KB

Name:  0822011949.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  34.8 KB

Circle-D Custom Billet Converter

Name:  50conv.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  188.8 KB

Name:  rotator_1.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  128.2 KB

Name:  PicstakenatBrenspeedNewChanges6.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  151.6 KB

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 11-08-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Add another 5r55s trans that took a crap with F/I