Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Bad Vibration and "whir"

Old 07-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Lucky SOB! I've been eyeballing the Shaftmasters DS for a while.

And no, you can't beat it for the cost. Not doubting the quality of other DS's but I can't see any reason to spend another $150 ($750 total) for another brand. I think the difference is just the mark-up vs going direct with the mfg, Shaftmasters in this case.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:08 PM
BigRedRoush

Oh, hell I wish I lived that close...that's just how far the DS plant is from where they build the Mustangs. I live just a couple hours away though, and I have considered taking a drive up to Michigan just to see what I can get directly through them.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:11 PM
BIGPHIL
1st Gear Member

So you installed the Steeda UCA, but did you adjust it correctly? Your symptoms sound exactly like your pinion angle is still off. It can take a few tries to get it set correctly. First you need to "phase" the angles in and then you can start adjustment. I will post some links for you that explain it really well if I can find the damn things. I would guess that you may need to lengthen the UCA a little bit to push the pumpkin up just a degree or two. Its really just trial and error to get it set. Just adjust 1 degree at a time or so and test drive it. I also agree with the others...you should have your drive shaft balanced just to be sure its ****.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 PM
BigRedRoush

Nice, thanks! Baby steps.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:25 PM
BIGPHIL
1st Gear Member

here is a decent link that explains what is going on with the drive shaft angles. Its a short read but should help you understand whats happening.

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/tec...driveline.html
Old 07-19-2011, 11:31 PM
BigRedRoush

Thanks for the info, and unfortunately, I don't have the tools yet to do any of this myself anymore, but at least I'll have an idea if I can find a reliable mechanic...and there's not a reliable mustang place anywhere close. If anybody knows of some place good in Chicago, please let me know.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I would look at:

Confirm the wheels are balanced
Make sure DS is true. Use a good shop.
COnsider a warped rotor.
I doubt it is suspension related but it could be. Stock LCA's?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:54 AM
BIGPHIL
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigRedRoush
Thanks for the info, and unfortunately, I don't have the tools yet to do any of this myself anymore, but at least I'll have an idea if I can find a reliable mechanic...and there's not a reliable mustang place anywhere close. If anybody knows of some place good in Chicago, please let me know.
If you have a buddy with a floor jack, couple of jack stands, and a couple of big crescent wrenches for the jam nuts, you should be able to adjust it yourself man. Here are the instructions for your UCA...http://www.steeda.com/store/uploads/...ol-arm-1-1.pdf

Time to get your feet wet and do the work yourself ;-)
Old 07-20-2011, 05:55 PM
BigRedRoush

BMR LCAs Simon1, and thanks Phil...I had a 98 Cobra and worked on it myself all the time...been 10 years since I had it, and haven't touched one since...so these are kinda new, and I'm really looking forward to being able to toy with it when I get more time...I just want to make sure it's going to stay on the road safely.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 PM
406bac

My car had the same problem with 4.10 gears. Well what it was was the install and it only vibrated and made noise on decell. I had the gears re-done and all was good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad Vibration and "whir"