Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

What axle ratio to run?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:04 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 what mapitts said. Yeah, we've all been made fun of at one time or another for something epically moronic. So c'mon... out with it! LOL!
Old 07-26-2011, 11:47 AM
SilkyStang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
Well I am not going to laugh or flame the guy. I have done more than my share of stuff. Some people just don't know. That is why we have forums to ask questions about things we do not know about. Although it is a little funny we have all done things that were not the brightest and best idea ever conceived. At least I have anyway. SilkyStang, it is OK to not know about something.
Yes well I suppose I deserve all the flaming. The only reason I thought it changed my gears is that when I plugged the tuner in and changed the ratio i noticed a huge difference in the RPM when cruising at higher speeds. When I changed it to 3.55 I could cruise at about 90 mph at 2500 RPM then I changed it to 3.73 and it was about 80 mpg at the same RPM. But further reading I obviously needed to install new gears.. Misinformed.

I've been called out and I accept it now lol Has there been anything else I've been doing wrong this whole time?
Old 07-26-2011, 12:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

No sweat. Just be sure to reset the PCM's gear setting to the gears that ARE installed. And be sure when you change tunes that you have the correct octane fuel in the tank (but you can run a lower octane tune using higher octane fuel with no ill effects).

Tell us more about your car; mods, etc. And since you have the tuner I assume you also have tunes. Are they canned (as from SCT and Diablo) or custom (as from AM or Brenspeed)?

Last edited by Nuke; 07-26-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilkyStang
I've been called out and I accept it now lol Has there been anything else I've been doing wrong this whole time?
Just humorous, nobody's has, or will, or at least should, go off on ya. The smartest people do things daily that do not coincide. I smoke, drive too fast, and just this weekend I thought someone stole my SCT/X3 because I stored the damn thing in a drawer "to find easier" later. With my CRS(Can't Remember S---), that didn't work as well as was planned.

Last edited by wayne613; 07-26-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:18 PM
SilkyStang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
With my CRS(Can't Remember S---), that didn't work as well as was planned.
haha i suffer from the same thing.

Well I have JLT CAI, Bassani Exhaust, X-pipes, and an SCT tuner running a tune from BAMA. 91 Octane set up to run with my CAI and exhaust. I will set the ratio back when I get off work and get home. I put 93 octane in it even though the setting is at 91.

I do have the same tune from BAMA but at an 89 octane, would it be better to run that tune and put 90 octane in it for a DD? I'm sorry I don't know much about "American Muscle" I crossed over from the tuner world. I just sold my STi for a mustang in hopes to maintain some of the speed but get better MPG. I turn more heads in the Stang anyways lol. My wife is much happier. She's always been an american muscle woman. She own a '67 Chevelle that we plan to restore when we're back in the states.

Thanks a lot guys, you're a ton of help!
Old 07-26-2011, 02:34 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Man! I was really looking forward to flaming the rookie!

Guess I'll crawl back under my rock....

#$%^& Mass murder in Norway, but not here! We're all daisies and butterflies! #$%^&*(

If anyone wants me, I'll be cleaning my guns....
Old 07-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
...CRS(Can't Remember S---)...
...which is not to be confused with CSR (Chronic Sperm Retention)...

It won't hurt to run the 89 tune with 90 or higher octane; you just waste a few dollars.
Old 07-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scottybaccus
If anyone wants me, I'll be cleaning my guns....

"Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but he'll have to beat you to death with it because it's going to be empty."
Old 07-26-2011, 03:42 PM
SilkyStang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke

...you just waste a few dollars.
please inform the newbie...
Old 07-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilkyStang
please inform the newbie...
Running an 89 octane tune with a higher octane fuel doesn't gain you any additional power than if you ran 89 octane fuel. You're simply spending more money than is necessary. But if you'll be in a location where the available octane levels don't match your tunes, then simply order new tunes for those octanes.

Quick Reply: What axle ratio to run?