Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Pype Bombs w/ stock H pipe and manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 07:25 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by modru2004
well ill just say this, expect round bodied chamberless designs like that to be louder and have significantly more drone then the chambered mufflers.
Interesting that you say this. I'm not saying that you're incorrect as I have no first hand experience, however the majority of posts I have read here and elsewhere indicate that chambered mufflers are more prone to drone than chamberless on these cars (again with exceptions).

As far as volume, I think I'm leaning towards something in between the flowmaster type chambered mufflers and the chamberless resonator muffler deletes. I'm worried that flowmasters, pypes violators, the oval FRPP mufflers, etc. just wouldn't be a big enough difference from stock. I do worry about drone and don't want it, but it seems to be almost a certainty with a few exceptions. I keep hearing about the Corsas and wonder if they are truly drone free or if because of the price, few people use them and those that do spent so much they don't think they hear drone...
Old 07-26-2011, 08:57 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99horsey
I think my question was answered by a post I found on Stangnet. A poster claimed to have been issued a ticket for noise with Pype Bombs and an otherwise factory exhaust setup. The sounds clips online sound good, but if it's loud enough to get a ticket, it's too loud for me. Looks like it might be back to the drawing board...
Anything at WOT is going to be loud on these cars...some may even consider the stock mufflers loud. I doubt he was just cruising and received a ticket.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Anything at WOT is going to be loud on these cars...some may even consider the stock mufflers loud. I doubt he was just cruising and received a ticket.
Valid point. If only I could hear these exhausts in person...
Old 07-26-2011, 09:44 PM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99horsey
Interesting that you say this. I'm not saying that you're incorrect as I have no first hand experience, however the majority of posts I have read here and elsewhere indicate that chambered mufflers are more prone to drone than chamberless on these cars (again with exceptions).

As far as volume, I think I'm leaning towards something in between the flowmaster type chambered mufflers and the chamberless resonator muffler deletes. I'm worried that flowmasters, pypes violators, the oval FRPP mufflers, etc. just wouldn't be a big enough difference from stock. I do worry about drone and don't want it, but it seems to be almost a certainty with a few exceptions. I keep hearing about the Corsas and wonder if they are truly drone free or if because of the price, few people use them and those that do spent so much they don't think they hear drone...

well i was going to go into detail, then i changed my mind and decided this article explains it better than i would have.
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscella...austtheory.htm

scroll down to where it talks about the different types of mufflers and the way they quieten things down.

theres some amount of resonance(drone) with any exhaust setup, even stock. the question is how loud is it, and will it bother you.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Cutting
1st Gear Member

I have the same setup as you, stock on a 2008 GT Back to the axels. From the sound of it, the Borla Stinger S-types might be exactly what you're looking for. They're chamberless so you do get the full easy breathing - but I was amazed at how well behaved they can be. In scientific terms, they burble - not growl. Its a much more bass centered tone, commands respect without saying "hey I'm 16 driving a mustang look at me!"

My mother and girlfriend both have no problem even in the backseats in city or highway driving.

As you've been saying - its impossible to tell without hearing yourself, i guess. These get my vote though. Refined.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:39 AM
jwharton
2nd Gear Member

I run the Pypes off-road H in order to get rid of the cats so I don't melt them. Before putting the H pipe on, I ran stock manifolds and stock H pipe with resonators in the mid-pipe and Mac chambered axel back mufflers with no drone or trumpeting. This setup sounded great with the cams. I tried the off-road H with the Macs and I could not stand the trumpeting and drone. The cops were on me all the time. I put the stock mufflers back on with the off-road H and it sounds great to me, way louder than stock with no drone or trumpeting. I would suggest putting the H pipe on with your stock mufflers first and then change them if you don't like it. I'm guessing you will be surprised how good it sounds.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:05 AM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jwharton
I run the Pypes off-road H in order to get rid of the cats so I don't melt them. Before putting the H pipe on, I ran stock manifolds and stock H pipe with resonators in the mid-pipe and Mac chambered axel back mufflers with no drone or trumpeting. This setup sounded great with the cams. I tried the off-road H with the Macs and I could not stand the trumpeting and drone. The cops were on me all the time. I put the stock mufflers back on with the off-road H and it sounds great to me, way louder than stock with no drone or trumpeting. I would suggest putting the H pipe on with your stock mufflers first and then change them if you don't like it. I'm guessing you will be surprised how good it sounds.
it depends on what kind of emissions testing if any he will be facing. its not exactly desirable to have to swap between stock and aftermarket simply to get your car inspected.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:26 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Your description of how you want your exhaust to sound seems similar in thought as mine going in. I have a stock exhaust with the violators and love them, good common ground between stock and raspy straight pypes. Pony up the extra $$ for the polished, they look nice. They have an old-school sound about them, but are not overpowering around town unless you get on it....then they sound even better

Old 07-27-2011, 10:35 AM
chaoscentral
2nd Gear Member

I have this exact setup, Pype Bombs and otherwise stock exhaust, it sounds very very good, and it doesn't get much louder unless you go WOT. I have driven by state police and city police alike and have never once gotten a ticket. I even revved the car for a cop and got a thumbs up!

I love the sound it produces, and the fact it doesn't drone after about 500-750 miles.

YMMV but it was definitely a good purchase from my end.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:46 AM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by modru2004
it depends on what kind of emissions testing if any he will be facing. its not exactly desirable to have to swap between stock and aftermarket simply to get your car inspected.
Fortunately in this part of Ohio, we no longer have any emissions testing.

Originally Posted by mayo
Your description of how you want your exhaust to sound seems similar in thought as mine going in. I have a stock exhaust with the violators and love them, good common ground between stock and raspy straight pypes. Pony up the extra $$ for the polished, they look nice. They have an old-school sound about them, but are not overpowering around town unless you get on it....then they sound even better
I listened to the Violators clip on the AM website and didn't like the sound at all. Sounded really odd on decel. Was that just their recording device that made it sound so odd (not even sure how to describe it)? If you get a chance to listen to it, I'd love to hear a comparison to what it really sounds like.

Originally Posted by chaoscentral
I have this exact setup, Pype Bombs and otherwise stock exhaust, it sounds very very good, and it doesn't get much louder unless you go WOT. I have driven by state police and city police alike and have never once gotten a ticket. I even revved the car for a cop and got a thumbs up!

I love the sound it produces, and the fact it doesn't drone after about 500-750 miles.

YMMV but it was definitely a good purchase from my end.
Are you careful where you really get into the gas so as not to attract attention to yourself? That's what I'd be afraid of - that I'd drive like a granny so as to avoid those disapproving stares from people when you take off fast...

Thanks for all of the help, guys. I can really understand now why there are so many posts on exhaust. It's like the mystery of life or something. With all other mods, you can see what it will look like and read how much HP you'll gain or get a description of the performance improvements. With exhaust, it's pretty hard to know what you're going to get until you try it.

Quick Reply: Pype Bombs w/ stock H pipe and manifold?