Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Pype Bombs w/ stock H pipe and manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 12:47 PM
chaoscentral
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99horsey
Are you careful where you really get into the gas so as not to attract attention to yourself? That's what I'd be afraid of - that I'd drive like a granny so as to avoid those disapproving stares from people when you take off fast...

Nope, I drive my car the way it was meant to be driven. I don't granny it unless I'm trying to save some gas. It sounds completely normal but a tad louder until you get to about 3 grand then it sounds like a totally different car. I've gotten numerous complements on my cars exhaust, and not a single complaint from any of my neighbors. I'd say just go for it, I personally love the sound, for the money its not a bad axel back at all.

Besides I bought the car to drive a bit fast, so disapproving stares don't do much for me lol, I figured they are just a bit jealous they are in an econo box instead of a performance car.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

I still worry that the Pype Bombs would be too loud, but for the price and considering the lack of reports of drone compared to everything else I'm looking at, they are still tempting...
Old 07-29-2011, 09:51 PM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

well i ordered american thunder axle back tot ry out. it came in today. started to install but unfortunately it got dark before i finished. so right now it has no mufflers on it and its just jumped over the rear axle. holy **** it sounds good. its not as loud as i thought it would be. that being said i didn't drive like this because without the mufflers in the back theres no rear support. don't want to put undue stress on the rest of the exhaust.

but if hte pypes bombs can clean up the sound a bit and quieten it a little and cut out any drone, that might seriously be my next exhaust if i don't like the american thunders when i get them on tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2011, 02:37 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by modru2004
well i ordered american thunder axle back tot ry out. it came in today. started to install but unfortunately it got dark before i finished. so right now it has no mufflers on it and its just jumped over the rear axle. holy **** it sounds good. its not as loud as i thought it would be. that being said i didn't drive like this because without the mufflers in the back theres no rear support. don't want to put undue stress on the rest of the exhaust.

but if hte pypes bombs can clean up the sound a bit and quieten it a little and cut out any drone, that might seriously be my next exhaust if i don't like the american thunders when i get them on tomorrow.
Very interesting! Did you get the ATs on yet? How do they compare? The more I think about it and listen to the different clips online, the more tempted I am to just try the Pype Bombs. Every time I drive around with the stock exhaust that's WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too quiet, I'm tempted to just say what the heck and try the Bombs...
Old 07-30-2011, 05:38 PM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

Very interesting! Did you get the ATs on yet? How do they compare? The more I think about it and listen to the different clips online, the more tempted I am to just try the Pype Bombs. Every time I drive around with the stock exhaust that's WAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too quiet, I'm tempted to just say what the heck and try the Bombs...
well i got the ATs on this morning. passenger side went on without a hitch, but the drivers side is a little crooked and a tad loose. its clamped to exhaust pipe tight and from what i can tell all the bolts are snug. but for some reason when you push up on it from the bottom it moves a bit. i think the hanger on that side is a bit off.

i took it for a test ride, doesn't rattle or make noise (other than exhaust) so it seems ok. ill try to straighten it out later its to dang hot right now. i don't have any shade in the morning lol.

but on to the sound. honestly i was surprised, its very very quiet. honestly i dont' think these are much louder than stock, they don't sound bad, theres no highway drone, you can barely even tell they are back there. Wide open throttle they wake up a bit. granted i did notice that after 10 minutes warming up driving around they did get quite a bit louder in volume. so being new mufflers they might sound a bit better after they break in. but right now from what i can remember they sound just a little louder than stock.

but when i cranked the stang up last night with no mufflers on it, and instant huge grin popped up on my face because thats the sound i want, just a bit quiter with no drone. couldn't drive it that way with no rear support on the exhaust, but it sounded good at idle and under light revs in my drive way. but for all i know it could have droned my head off under load.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:09 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

well i got the ATs on this morning. passenger side went on without a hitch, but the drivers side is a little crooked and a tad loose. its clamped to exhaust pipe tight and from what i can tell all the bolts are snug. but for some reason when you push up on it from the bottom it moves a bit. i think the hanger on that side is a bit off.

i took it for a test ride, doesn't rattle or make noise (other than exhaust) so it seems ok. ill try to straighten it out later its to dang hot right now. i don't have any shade in the morning lol.

but on to the sound. honestly i was surprised, its very very quiet. honestly i dont' think these are much louder than stock, they don't sound bad, theres no highway drone, you can barely even tell they are back there. Wide open throttle they wake up a bit. granted i did notice that after 10 minutes warming up driving around they did get quite a bit louder in volume. so being new mufflers they might sound a bit better after they break in. but right now from what i can remember they sound just a little louder than stock.

but when i cranked the stang up last night with no mufflers on it, and instant huge grin popped up on my face because thats the sound i want, just a bit quiter with no drone. couldn't drive it that way with no rear support on the exhaust, but it sounded good at idle and under light revs in my drive way. but for all i know it could have droned my head off under load.
You have no idea how much this makes me want to pull the trigger on a set of Pype Bombs...
Old 07-30-2011, 10:51 PM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

You have no idea how much this makes me want to pull the trigger on a set of Pype Bombs...
personally at this point im probably going to be looking at a set for myself in the near future anyway. i say go for it.

if your still concerned they may be to loud, pypes make a cat back that has the m80 mufflers mid mounted and then pype bombs out back behind the axle. it comes together as a set, you just bolt it on. supposed to give you that aggressive sound while still quieting down the volume some with the pypes mid mufflers.

$500 for the set isn't bad.

but if you want you could also just buy the pypes bombs and if its to loud then buy the m80 mufflers later and have a muffler shop put them in for you.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:59 PM
99horsey
2nd Gear Member

but if you want you could also just buy the pypes bombs and if its to loud then buy the m80 mufflers later and have a muffler shop put them in for you.
That's a good idea. At $90 for a pair, I could probably buy them and have them installed for under $200. At this point, I might just try the Pype Bombs. I won't have time to install them next weekend, so I might wait a week to see if American Muscle puts them on sale again. If they do, I will absolutely pull the trigger.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 07-31-2011, 07:26 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I’m looking for some feedback on the Pypes Pype Bombs from people with otherwise stock exhaust. I’ve read a lot of posts here (read the entire exhaust sticky, etc.) where people with X pipes, LTs, etc. have chimed in – but not many with stock setups. Right now, I have a completely stock exhaust and am looking for more volume and a deeper tone. The reasons I’m looking at the Pype Bombs are: price (I have a hard time spending much on mods that don’t make the car any faster), looks (I hate the look of the stock mufflers hanging out from under the bumper), and drone-free operation (correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like there may be less drone with these than most of the chambered mufflers?).

My biggest fear is noise. I want more noise, but I don’t want to wake the dead, announce to my entire neighborhood that I’m coming or going, or attract attention from the local authorities. On the other hand, I don’t want to go through the trouble and expense of replacing the mufflers to say “yeah, I think it might be a little louder than stock”. Since it seems like headers and X pipes make such a difference in sound, I’m looking for feedback from those with stock systems and Pype Bombs. Are they too loud? Just right? Drone?

Sorry for starting yet another exhaust thread and thanks in advance for any feedback!
Yes, they are loud, I have the exact setup your talking about. I love them and will recommend them to everyone. They do drone around 2k but I don't mind it at all. Also, when I added a custom tune the drone seemed to get much quieter and I love the way they sound even more. If you want me to take some vids I can just let me know.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:03 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I took the liberty of getting a quick cold start vid for you (taken from my phone so yea), let me know what you think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuEq6UDQf8g

Last edited by bakerjd; 07-31-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Pype Bombs w/ stock H pipe and manifold?