Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

Phantom Throttle Blips, lag & other Idiosyncrasies

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:47 PM
Cutting
1st Gear Member

Default Phantom Throttle Blips, lag & other Idiosyncrasies

Hey Guys,

Just made my way in to my first S197 after growing up around 'stangs and psyched to be here. She's a 2008 GT Premium in Candy Apple Red with just almost 32k on the odo - see thread in the newbie section for pics...

Anyway, I'm about a month and some change in and a few little things have me curious. There's not too many s197 GT's in the area believe it or not, so I don't really have anyone to ask about the little daily things.

1) First of all, I've noticed even just accelerating to city speeds without getting on the throttle get exactly 250 rpm momentary blip after releasing throttle entirely and depressing the clutch to upshift as if the throttle hadn't realized I had let it go yet. It didn't happen in the '96 gt vert before this nor any other stick I've driven. Could it just be the higher output motor just excited to rev? I should add there's no tune, only modifications are Borla S-type axelbacks and a MGW Short throw to the engine at this point.

2) Shifting from first to second at low speed I hear maybe five or six rapid clicks that aren't grinding gears. Is this just one of those transmission quirks?

3) These next two might be silly, but its started to bug me so i've gotta ask! When i turn on and off the car for about 8 seconds i hear the sound of ticking and not quite grinding gears coming from inside the cluster. This routine?

4) Last one - Promise! The darn drivers side window doesn't pop down fast enough to avoid hitting the door frame even in "casual door opening" although the passenger side is fine. I have a few k left on the bumper to bumper, is this something worth whining to the dealer about?

For those of you that made it through this novel - Thanks in advance! Any input would be awesome, still trying to get used to this incredible new machine!

-DC
Old 07-26-2011, 12:34 AM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

Im not too sure about the 1st one ive ran into something similar myself where ill shift from 1st to second and the car will buck really quick then drive normal (this is already after i took my foot off the clutch).

the 2nd one might just be you shifter, i have a hurst in mine and it clicks too, it clicks when u take it out of gear and clicks again when you put it in the next gear. Im about 95% positive its not your tranny.

the 3rd one: yes thats normal its just the dials moving in the cluster

the 4th one: if you look in your manual there is a section on your windows. you can adjust them move when you open and close the doors or you can turn that feature completely off. im not sure if you can adjust the speed of how quick they open or close i never read that much into it, but i asure you its in there.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Cutting
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jyna06gt
Im not too sure about the 1st one ive ran into something similar myself where ill shift from 1st to second and the car will buck really quick then drive normal (this is already after i took my foot off the clutch).

the 2nd one might just be you shifter, i have a hurst in mine and it clicks too, it clicks when u take it out of gear and clicks again when you put it in the next gear. Im about 95% positive its not your tranny.

the 3rd one: yes thats normal its just the dials moving in the cluster

the 4th one: if you look in your manual there is a section on your windows. you can adjust them move when you open and close the doors or you can turn that feature completely off. im not sure if you can adjust the speed of how quick they open or close i never read that much into it, but i asure you its in there.

I hope this helps.
Great! Thanks for the good info. I'll play with the windows today and glad to know 3 is normal. Thankfully there's no bucking with the rev blips, but i'm sure it sounds like I'm trying to drag everyone around me and my milage would thank me if it stopped... Found some info in recalibrating the throttle response and may try that today and will post results. The second is only at low speeds back in the neighborhood, so for now I'll write it off to new car paranoia...

Cheers!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:58 PM
Cutting
1st Gear Member

Well, resetting the throttle didn't get rid of the blipping, but it seems to only happen if i shift before 3.5k. Clearly I'm just winding it up high enough?

As a side note, recalibrating the throttle did make a pretty big difference in start ups, so worth trying if you haven't yet!

Reposting for posterity- Can't remember where from:

-----------

1) Turn car to ON but do not start

2) Wait 6 seconds

3) Slowly depress throttle to wide open while counting to 5 (1001, 1002...etc)

4) Slowly release the throttle while also counting to 5

5) wait 6 seconds

6) Turn off car and repeat 1-5 twice more.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:18 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

My car does the same thing (blipping on upshifts). I hope it's normal, though I can't recall any other sticks I have driven doing that, including my GF's Eclipse.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:20 AM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

I thought it was just the car because I havent driven it in almost 10 months (I was riding my gsxr all the time.) I mean its got only 37,000 miles on it. But my cousin says his doesnt do it at all and its the same year, manual an all. I guess its just certain cars just like the passanger side strut noise.