Notices
4.6L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about engine, transmission, or gearing can be asked here!

best catback?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 08:07 PM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

Default best catback?

Valley performance told me ( and i measured them) my stock gt pipes are already 2.5 and i dont need a full catback, just an axelback and i wont notice the difference. my other source tells me that it will make a difference and i need to do the whole thing. i was wondering what you guys thought. Also, i like it loud, so if i got the catback i was thinking borla s type and if i got the axelback borla s type or slp. If anyone could help me out or give me a better catback idea let me know
Old 07-27-2011, 07:31 AM
Cutting
1st Gear Member

I think you'll love the borlas. Performance-wise, unless you're doing the whole system you won't feel a ton of difference. I'd stick with just the A/B's unless you're prepared to shell out for a high quality full setup. If you go catback now and decide you want to go for Longtubes later you'll have to ditch whatever mid-pipe you got and go with a shorty, whereas the axelbacks will work regardless of headers.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:52 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DTMR
Valley performance told me ( and i measured them) my stock gt pipes are already 2.5 and i dont need a full catback, just an axelback and i wont notice the difference. my other source tells me that it will make a difference and i need to do the whole thing. i was wondering what you guys thought. Also, i like it loud, so if i got the catback i was thinking borla s type and if i got the axelback borla s type or slp. If anyone could help me out or give me a better catback idea let me know
Do you have a V6 or GT? Your avatar says GT and your sig has V6. I would say you wouldn't see any difference between a cat-back and axle-back unless you are FI with the V8 (even then maybe not).
Old 07-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There's no performance gains to be had, catback or axleback so save a few $$'s and get an axleback. There are so many choices it's not funny. I have the Borla/FRPP Stingers (GT's) which have a nice throaty sound and really sing at WOT but WILL drone in the 1600-1800 RPM range. I've heard good things about the SLP LM's.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:56 AM
DTMR
2nd Gear Member

i have a 2006 gt, i used to have a 2006 v6 but i traded it in for my gt and i hadnt had a chance to change the signature yet haha, but anyway i ordered the borla catback, which only goes up to the stock h-pipe anyway so when i put my longtubes on i can still get the shorty x, and i got the whole thing cuz i plan on building the car up and i heard its better to do the whole exhaust so it flows smoother when i make more power, thans for the help you guys
Old 07-28-2011, 07:11 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cutting
I think you'll love the borlas. Performance-wise, unless you're doing the whole system you won't feel a ton of difference. I'd stick with just the A/B's unless you're prepared to shell out for a high quality full setup. If you go catback now and decide you want to go for Longtubes later you'll have to ditch whatever mid-pipe you got and go with a shorty, whereas the axelbacks will work regardless of headers.
Cat-back 0
Axle-back 1

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
Do you have a V6 or GT? Your avatar says GT and your sig has V6. I would say you wouldn't see any difference between a cat-back and axle-back unless you are FI with the V8 (even then maybe not).
Cat-back 0
Axle-back 2

Originally Posted by Nuke
There's no performance gains to be had, catback or axleback so save a few $$'s and get an axleback. There are so many choices it's not funny. I have the Borla/FRPP Stingers (GT's) which have a nice throaty sound and really sing at WOT but WILL drone in the 1600-1800 RPM range. I've heard good things about the SLP LM's.
Cat-back 0
Axle-back 3

Originally Posted by DTMR
i have a 2006 gt, i used to have a 2006 v6 but i traded it in for my gt and i hadnt had a chance to change the signature yet haha, but anyway i ordered the borla catback, which only goes up to the stock h-pipe anyway so when i put my longtubes on i can still get the shorty x, and i got the whole thing cuz i plan on building the car up and i heard its better to do the whole exhaust so it flows smoother when i make more power, thans for the help you guys
What?
Old 07-30-2011, 05:20 PM
09CSGT

I would go with the axle back, unless you are planning on doing headers at the same time. I went with Pypes muffler delete and I have won a best exhaust trophy with them.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:21 AM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I've heard good things about the SLP LM's.
I know the OP has already decided and ordered, but just for anyone else looking, I have the SLP Loudmouths on my 08 GT. Watching youtube videos I would have NEVER gotten it because they sound like raw, cheap, nasty noise. At least in the videos I saw. My GT had them already when I bought it, and I drove the 3 hours there to buy the car knowing I needed to change them right away. Spent the 3 hour drive home falling in love. Video clips don't do most forms of exhaust any justice. They are not raw at all, they have a beautiful tone and don't drone in the slightest on the highway. Just a beautiful bassy rumble, and when you step on it, they come alive and roar at the road behind them